Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Duke's 701 Rebuild & Restoration

HorseFixer

Well tonight was the night I have been waiting for! The 701 was the start for the tear down my goal was to get the engine pulled and ready for inspection by the shop. I made alot of progress and met my goal. :thumbs2: I discovered alot when tearing the tractor down. The Hydraulic Pump needs seals, See some play in steering, will defiantly need some TLC to put her back in shape! :eusa-whistle:

post-2-0-27518800-1355635537_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-77317100-1355635542_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-68247900-1355635548_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-25645900-1355635555_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-49122900-1355635559.jpg

post-2-0-04416200-1355635565.jpg

post-2-0-74249500-1355635572.jpg

post-2-0-42600900-1355635579.jpg

post-2-0-35280800-1355635586.jpg

• Like 1

whfan74

Hey Duke do you ever sleep? You get more done in one day than most people get done in a month! It has to be because you are proud Wolverine! :thumbs::whistle::whistle: :dunno:

KyBlue

I think MJ found out about all the refrences to stabbin cabbins and locked him out..

Whatever your motivation is...nice job! Keep up the good work!

kpinnc

Moved your thread Duke.

Off to a great start BTW!

Kevin

Suburban 550

Way to go buddy. :whistle: That's what I was waitin to see. I thought you were never gonna get started on it. :thumbs:

Michael Bullington

strange another horse with yellow on it! How many time have we seen that!

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :whistle: 4 star scott I guess I will never live that stabbin Cabin thing down! :dunno:

whfan scott ~ you betcha! but Im wearin out! :whistle:

Kevy thanks for movin the post! And Thanks Ray I got some movin to do to get it ready! Seems I get no rest between projects! :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Okay the engine report is as followson the K-161:

I noticed last night on the tear down when I washed out the block pan that there was blue silicone around the base gasket. I knew at that point the engine had been opened up before. My assumtions were correct and the following was discovered.

The crank is 5K out of round, rings were replaced in the past, Crank was turned by someone in the past, "chitty job" small mark in the cyl wall at some point in time, Valve guides nee knurled and valves look great but ground.

This is what I am having done tell me what you think of the price honest opinion. :thumbs:

Block tore down and shot blasted, Cyl bored 10k over, New Piston & Rings 10K over, Different crank ground correctly & rod. Head & Block milled correctly. New seals & gaskets complete. All Orig Kohler Parts used, Valves ground & Gap set, Everything reassembled and cked to specs cleaned and ready for paint Basically a complete rebuild.

Cost Complete $400.00

CasualObserver

For using Kohler parts, I think that's a steal of a deal Duke. Most people would be lucky to pull off that number with Stens stuff.

sorekiwi

I think thats a pretty good price Duke. In Kohler parts I would guess at $300 in parts alone. You could cut that in half with China parts, but then you'd be wondering if they're gonna last....

I have used the Stens stuff, and havent had a problem, but I would've used genuine parts if I could've afforded it at the time.

Duff

Who's your engine house? For that price, I'd pay the freight to have them rebuild one of my M-12's! :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

WHC-125

Duke,

Looks like you gonna have fun with this restore :whistle: Can wait to see all of the progress pictures :thumbs:

Hopefully you dont have as many problems as I have been having working on my B-80 <_<

bell

Looking GOOD Duke!!! Sounds like a pretty good price on the rebuild. :thumbs:

linen beige

Considering what hourly labor charges can be, that's a great deal Duke. :thumbs:

Are the cam, tappets, and crank bearings still good?

HorseFixer

Considering what hourly labor charges can be, that's a great deal Duke. :thumbs:

Are the cam, tappets, and crank bearings still good?

Thanks Guys! I thought it was a pretty good deal myself thats why I gave him the :whistle: up to get going. he said he will have it finished by saturday for PU :dunno: the guy doesnt paly and you should see his machine shop! I will get some pictures it is totally awesome! He is the best guy in our area and came out of his mammy with a engine and piston in his hand. He works on this stuff till wee hrs in the morning! Does a nice job and does ir right the first time! :whistle:

HorseFixer

strange another horse with yellow on it! How many time have we seen that!

Michael yes many ntimes we have seen this and now that I started on the tear down and have played with some sanding discs the yellow is confirmed primer and is under the red not over it as I first thought! :thumbs: Under the yellow is some kind of BLACK primer then YELLOW then the top coat of RED.

I would say this is the way the 701's came from the factory! So there ya go I belive when ya see YELLOW its under the RED :whistle:

HorseFixer

Who's your engine house? For that price, I'd pay the freight to have them rebuild one of my M-12's! :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

call me duff. or give me yer # 269-757-3213

on the engine builder guy

Duke

HorseFixer

Got a little more accomplished tonight. More tearing down!

post-2-0-08067600-1355635798.jpg

post-2-0-35440000-1355635804.jpg

post-2-0-65189500-1355635811.jpg

post-2-0-11628900-1355635818.jpg

linen beige

the yellow is confirmed primer and is under the red not over it as I first thought! :thumbs: Under the yellow is some kind of BLACK primer then YELLOW then the top coat of RED.

I would say this is the way the 701's came from the factory! So there ya go I belive when ya see YELLOW its under the RED :whistle:

Duke. I seriously doubt this 701 was painted that way at the factory. The first big clue is the HY-2 pump has the same paint job. These came out AFTER this tractor was built. They were painted red with NO primer. The pump pulleys were not painted nor were the hoses and fittings. What color is the INSIDE of the points cover? It should be bare metal.

I know for sure that the '60 and '62 models had only red paint on them with NO primer. The paint was electrostatically charged to make it stick. Then force dried by infrared light. Sort of a precursor to modern powder coating. I believe this paint system was started in '60 and used for several years.

The yellow may be a coat of sealer. We have seen examples of Wheel Horses being repainted in the colors of the companies that owned them, including government organizations. It is quiet possible that this one once belonged to a construction company or government and was painted in "highway dept. yellow".

HorseFixer

The yellow may be a coat of sealer. We have seen examples of Wheel Horses being repainted in the colors of the companies that owned them, including government organizations. It is quiet possible that this one once belonged to a construction company or government and was painted in "highway dept. yellow".

I guess I dunno :whistle: Jim :thumbs: That very well could have been? Someone went to alot of trouble cause cause they must of did a complete tear down cause yellow is everywhere! I will ck the points cover as you mentioned!

Anyways I got my Kohler Engine back today, they had to replace the guides and lifters also! The total came to $404.00 and some change so they kept it within $4.00 of the original quote! Dang you wouldnt believe the guy's shop he has everything CNC, Lathe, Surface grinders, all kinds of goodies all modern equipment with digital readout. I am very impressed with his operation, and the speed in which he got the engine done, and his honesty!

I really wanted to do the engine rebuild myself, I have done several many moons ago in High School when I worked Co-Op at a small engine shop. I only Intended for him to do the machining but when he shot me the price for doing the whole fam damily being I have limited time 3 1/2 months I told him to go for it! He gave me all my ole parts back and I examined them and could see the problems of why he replaced them.

Next resto I do, I will do the rest of the assembly & tear down myself complete. Will gets some pics later of the engine.

linen beige

Someone went to alot of trouble cause cause they must of did a complete tear down cause yellow is everywhere!

The total came to $404.00 and some change so they kept it within $4.00 of the original quote!

Yeller paint everywhere! Even where there should be none! As the F.B.I. would say, "That's a clue.".

Within $4 of quote? The extra $4 wouldn't pay for the guides and tappets!Outstanding! :thumbs:

KyBlue

Good ya got it back so Quick Duke!!

Wheres the pics of the shop??

I'll have to get some of the place that does my work (big and small, production or WTF oddball) its like stepping back in time...

Cool progress so far!

HorseFixer

Anyways here are a couple pics of my Engine back from the shop!

post-2-0-32629500-1355661833.jpg

post-2-0-49392000-1355661840.jpg

post-2-0-78147700-1355661846.jpg

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, my friend. :thumbs:

Coadster32

Looks like a real sweet job! :thumbs: