Sign in to follow this  
Irv

Picked up a C125

Irv

C125001.jpg

Just picked up a C125 cheap for parts but the more I look at it, I may ressurect it. No motor but I do have an old Gilson out back with a good running Kohler 12 hp. It has the generator/starter on it so I don't know for sure if it will fit. Also the C125 has those cradle blocks where the motor mounts so I guess I'd have to cut them out. Tractor seems to be pretty much all there. Any comments or suggestions? thanks, Irv

Teddy da Bear

Looks like a good stout tractor.

Keep us posted with your progress.... :thumbs:

past7971

I have "saved" ones that looked FAR FAR worse than that. Those cradle blocks just unbolt from underneath so go easy with the cutting thoughts. Your Gilson swap should work--swap on a correct Wheel-Horse oil pan to bolt directly to the frame, drive pulley and wiring should have it going again. I wouldn't think a starter/generator would be a clearance issue with all the open area you have thanks to how battery and fuel tank are mounted in these models. If your Gilson has a 1" output shaft, use the drive pulley from a B-80 if original C-125 for 1 1/8' shaft wont work. Take care---Paul

stevebo

the c125 is rubber mounted with the cradle however you should be able to mount engine directly to the frame. Looks like I would put the engine in and use. If you could find the cradle I would use that as it makes a big difference on the vibration. Nice find-

past7971

Hey Irv---Got to thinking (which can be VERY dangerous) and was wondering--does that Gilson have the flanged oil pan/block like I first thought or "straight" style block? If its flanged, my prior reply is good but if its "straight" with oil pan bolts from underneath, find correct 1978-newer C-series cradle and pan needed to mount.

WHC-125

Hey Irv---Got to thinking (which can be VERY dangerous) and was wondering--does that Gilson have the flanged oil pan/block or "straight" style block? If its flanged, my prior reply is good but if its "straight" with oil pan bolts from underneath, find correct 1978-newer C-series cradle and pan needed to mount.

I would go that way and get the motor mount(cradle) and put it to their so it will be close to original. Maybe you could even swap out the starter generator for a gear driven starter :thumbs:

past7971

Chris--I thought of mentioning converting from generator to alternator but I tried that once. Swapping the bearing plate, stator, flywheel & shroud from donor engine was easy. I definitely outsmarted myself though when I went to bolt the electric starter on and found out it would not fit---the generator engines block wasn't dished on upper edge for clearance. Considered that as a lesson to tell the difference between a starter/generator and alternator/electric starter block at a glance.

WHC-125

Chris--I thought of mentioning converting from generator to alternator but I tried that once. Swapping the bearing plate, stator, flywheel & shroud from donor engine was easy. I definitely outsmarted myself though when I went to bolt the electric starter on and found out it would not fit---the generator engines block wasn't dished on upper edge for clearance. Considered that as a lesson to tell the difference between a starter/generator and alternator/electric starter block at a glance.

I dont think all of them are like that :thumbs:

Irv

:thumbs: Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Went out back (in this wonderful 20 degree wheather) and took a couple measurements and it looks like it will fit lengthwise. It looks like it has an angled block on one end and a flat on the other. I'll get more into it when it warms up.

Michael Bullington

nice tractor ...will make a good one when you get done!! :whistle:

hmmm whats under that tarp :thumbs::dunno: :whistle:

WHC-125

hmmm whats under that tarp :thumbs::whistle::whistle:

I was wondering about that too :dunno:

TT

I was wondering about that too :whistle:

All you need to do is "wonder" back to one of Irv's previous posts. :thumbs:

314withblower013.jpg

Irv

You're right TT! It's the 314 under the tarp in the side driveway. The garage is full of cars for the winter, the 310, 312 and 216 are in the shed, the c160, 211 and gilson are under tarps way in back. I've already got most of the wood to build a new 12 x 16 shed this spring for all the horses.