armstrrw

Brake Assembly to Pulley/Disk clearance?

armstrrw

Notice that clutch was "grabbing" when letting pedal out .....found that Brake Assembly (946652) pad was worn down to rivets. Just recently acquired one-owner, very low hour 2000 manufactured 314-8 tractor. My question is "what is the correct clearance" between the Brake Assembly pad and the pulley?

rmaynard

0.012" clearance between the pad and the pulley.

• Like 1

rmaynard

However, I don't know what that would have to do with "letting the pedal out". If you are referring to your clutch pedal, the 94-6652 PTO brake assembly has nothing to do with clutch grab. It only stops the PTO from spinning when disengaging the PTO lever. Clutching is done when your drive belt engages the engine pulley (behind the PTO), with the transmission pulley. Lots of factors including wrong or damaged belt, dirty pulleys, improperly adjusted pedal, etc. can contribute to a grabbing clutch.

Edited by rmaynard

armstrrw

Sorry that the terminology that I used to describe my need for information was so poor. After posting, I located the service manual on the internet and accessed the diagram/mechanical info. needed. I'll try and do better in the future.

Thanks,

Bob

rmaynard

No problem. Any manual that you might need can be found here in our manuals section free of charge.

• Like 1

Herder
42 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

No problem. Any manual that you might need can be found here in our manuals section free of charge.

This site has just about every manual I have ever needed. Thank you. 

Tuneup

Hey there, Bob,

Best to pull the cover and remove and replace the belt with the nice OEM part which is designed to engage smoothly. A standard belt is otherwise but many would normally just place a belt of the same size there when a 'special' is required. Once removed, check the surfaces of the pulleys and smooth and clean them. That's a great start. While in there, you can check the quality of the idler pulley and replace it if needed. Replace the cover and check the engagement. You're several states away from GA or I'd help more :)

armstrrw

Guys, thanks for your guidance and advice. Did exactly what was recommended and tractor runs/drives as new. Fortunate that I happened upon this completely original 2000-01 314-8 with only 334.2 hours on meter. What a jewel! I replaced brake assembly, belts, plug, filters (air/fuel), lubed all zerk fittings, changed oil + filter, sharpened blades, replaced some absent seat mounting hardware, low-pressure washed, and went-a-mowing. What a pleasure and to think that this jewel of an American made garden tractor is no longer manufactured! She was always stored inside, under a cover when not in use. Here is a photo of the tractor with 48 in. deck.

DSCF2615.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Nice Bob... Very clean!  :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

123GO

Extremely hard to locate in this shape in my area. Great job hope you enjoy it many yrs. :banana-jumprope: