Jump to content
briankd

K181s ign. coil issues

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

i have a 1970 K181s and im on my second coil in 2 yrs now. I put this tractor away last fall after mowing and it ran great and here last week it wouldn't start. i found it had no spark. further diagnosis and found the primary in the coil shorted to ground. the original coil was a tecky  for the price i went and bought the last 2 also tecky coils. it has new points and condenser after the previous coil went to hell.

anyone have issues with these coils ? i found where to get new kouler coils for 50 bucks but theses teckys only 35 bucks and i get them localy .the kouler ones can be had @ I save tractors for the fifty bucks but don't know them and how there stuff is. 

also thought about using automotive coil and doing away with the coil under flywheel.  

Edited by briankd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You can get a replacement coil at Tractor Supply (Tisco Ignition Coil, 396547R93) or any 12 volt coil with an internal resistor will work. Cross reference Kohler 41 519 21-S

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, briankd said:

I save tractors for the fifty bucks but don't know them

I can't answer for the coil but isavetractors is a great place.

Norman is wicked cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Napa IC64SB Internally resisted coil $35-40 bucks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

This sounds like his engine has the magneto style ignition not the 12 volt style, unless I misread the info. If it is the magneto style maybe it is feeding 12 volts back through it and destroying them. I would assume it could be converted to the 12 volt battery ignition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, Howie said:

This sounds like his engine has the magneto style ignition not the 12 volt style, unless I misread the info. If it is the magneto style maybe it is feeding 12 volts back through it and destroying them. I would assume it could be converted to the 12 volt battery ignition.

yes this is a mag style ignition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
13 hours ago, briankd said:

yes this is a mag style ignition

  That is important info....

What tractor is this on???

Have you replaced the ignition switch?  How old is the one on there.  They can begin to fail internally and let current leak into eh M terminal and fry the magneto coil.  Kohler put a diode in the M wire on some units to prevent any back flow of current ...Does yours have one???

 

Really need more info here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 4/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, pfrederi said:

  That is important info....

What tractor is this on???

Have you replaced the ignition switch?  How old is the one on there.  They can begin to fail internally and let current leak into eh M terminal and fry the magneto coil.  Kohler put a diode in the M wire on some units to prevent any back flow of current ...Does yours have one???

 

Really need more info here.

thanks i will check the ign. sw  mine don't have a diode maybe i will get one and put it in. the tractor this is on is not appropriate to mention on here . I sure won't own another green one they are junk :unsure: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×