RandyLittrell

Part time puller

RandyLittrell

I have a 310-8 that I want to do a little part time pulling with. I use it to mow but don't have too and I want to occasionally do some pulling with it in the stock class. 

I have pulled cubs in the past and will still do so, but I don't know where to start with gears on the WH. 

I will run 23x10.50's and will build an undercarriage the will have the front weight bar, mid weights, and the hitch and wheelie bars. It will use the Tach-a-matic and pins I can pull in the rear. 

What gear is best and do you need to lock it in gear like cubs? I am assuming I need stronger springs for the clutch and a new belt from Toro. 

Thanks for the help! 

Randy

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Here is my Horse. 

KIMG0250.JPG

• Like 4

TonyToro

My son started pulling last year with a Raider 12. We run in stock class. The only thing I did was add a new Kevlar belt from tractor supply, pulling hitch, wheelie bars, kill switch and add weight. He placed fifth overall. In his class max speed is 2.5mph so we run around 6lbs tire pressure and 2nd gear high range. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

The gearing was what I really didn't know about, I guess i could have paced it beside my cub to get a guestimate. Thank you! 

Did you need to lock it in gear? The cubs you need to mechanically hold the gear shift in place or it will pop out of gear. Didn't know if I needed to do that with the Horse or not. 

Randy

• Like 1

TonyToro
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

The gearing was what I really didn't know about, I guess i could have paced it beside my cub to get a guestimate. Thank you! 

Did you need to lock it in gear? The cubs you need to mechanically hold the gear shift in place or it will pop out of gear. Didn't know if I needed to do that with the Horse or not. 

Randy

Yes I have seen the lockout for Cubs but so far I haven't seen any on a Wheel Horse. Some guys run 3rd gear on a transfer sled. They run about 1/2 throttle until mid pull and then crank it up. It's risky not to go over the max MPH. My son is still to young for all the tricks. He is just smiling away until the tires spin. Lol

RandyLittrell

No mph limit where I pull, just limits on motor, tires, and weight. 

Randy

• Like 1