Marv

My C100 Drawbar Pin Removal EDITED 18 March

Marv

I have had this C100 for quite a while. I don't use it much. Based on the mushroom on the pin, someone had tried to remove it. The draw bar had been modified and I wanted to return it to original. So, a year or so ago I started working on it. I applied penetrant and tapped it with my small tapping hammer to set up vibration. Didn't work so  I drilled the boss to allow for penetrant to get to the pin. Frequently, during that time until now I would add penetrant and tap, tap, tap. Then I struck it with a bigger hammer. Didn't move. Decided to give it a little heat to suck the penetrant in. Still didn't move. I decided to take drastic measures and cut the pin. I cut it flush with the boss (note that I removed the rear bottom bolt from the transmission case to allow clearance for the blade). Started drilling. I started off with a 7/32 drill bit and stepped it up in 32nds all the way to 5/8. I did not drill all the way through the boss I stopped short to be sure the pin would not break off inside the boss (that would be a bummer). I worked from the right side because I am right handed  AND TO PROTECT THE NARROWER BOSS ON THE RIGHT SIDE. Ok, now I am ready. Impact hammer here we go. Rat a Tat Tat Tat, it is out. Ruler shows depth of the drill.

DSC03382.JPG

DSC03378.JPG

DSC03377.JPG

DSC03380.JPG

DSC03381.JPG

DSC03383.JPG

DSC03384.JPG

DSC03385.JPG

DSC03387.JPG

Edited by Marv
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

Sure was a lot of work. So far I have been lucky with the pin removal on my tractors, of course my BFH helped. Great photos.

• Like 2

857 horse

I have a Raider 12,,,,,,in need of this surgery,,,,,,,thank you for the insight and warnings,,,,,,,,,i will do pics and forward mine as well.........

Howard,,,,857 Horse in Va....

• Like 4

pfrederi

Good attack plan...this is not an easy project

• Like 3

classiccat

War of attrition.   Good thing for you that an air hammer (along with a steel will) was in your arsenal!    I lost count of the # of times mine bailed me out!

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Sure was a lot of work. So far I have been lucky with the pin removal on my tractors, of course my BFH helped. Great photos.

I thought you were going to say/type a BRF helped :ROTF:, sorry couldn't help myself there.

• Haha 4

DennisThornton

Oh my!  I had one that I thought wasn't coming out.  I had to heat it more than I wanted but an oxy/acet will put a lot more BTUs on it in a hurry.  It came out.  Looking at what you had to do makes me real glad that it did!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Good documentation.  That is the exact process I had to resort to remove one of my pins.   I used a 4.5 X 1/32" cutoff wheel instead of a sawsall.

I am left handed, but I drilled from the right side also  so I would be driving the pin toward the larger side of the lug with less risk of breaking the case.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

Marv
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I am left handed, but I drilled from the right side also  so I would be driving the pin toward the larger side of the lug with less risk of breaking the case.

Thanks Ed, I had intended to include that in my description. Old minds forget! I edited the post today.

Marv

• Like 1

cslxt8

This is just what I needed to find. I just started this process but I still need to get the hitch off. I will likely need to use a cutting wheel too do to space constraints. Been soaking it with penetrating oil already. What is everyone's choice of penetrating oil?

Colton

CasualObserver
23 minutes ago, cslxt8 said:

What is everyone's choice of penetrating oil?

My go-to's are PB Blaster, Kroil and/or Gibbs depending on which can I find first in the shop. Some guys swear by an acetone / ATF mix.

• Like 1

Lee1977

I change all my tractors to this type of hitch pin.The Wheel Horse pins measure 74.95".  The three point tractor pin measure 74.75" .002 thousands smaller plus they are plated.

SAM-0492.jpg

Edited by Lee1977