Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Are we more alone than we think?

Teddy da Bear

I have pondered this thought for about a year now.

As I drive around I am always on the lookout for

wheel horse tractors....mostly "for sale".

But the thought has occured to me that while I am successful

at finding horses I want......

I NEVER see anyone out mowing with wheel horses in the

spring/summer/fall or removing snow in winter.

And me living so close to the center of wheel horse creation.

Are we more alone than I first thought? Are wheel horse

owners saving their horses and not working them?

I notice people slowing down and looking at me mowing and

moving snow.... I sometimes think I am under a microscope.

I try to understand what appears to be their fascination with

what they see. Or their surprize at seeing an old time machine

out on the job.....

I got a real "galker" the other day with the snow... He almost

stopped at the end of the driveway.... And he gave me a "wave"

as he drove off.

I would like to hear of others experiences in their areas of the

country. Do you see horses out working? And do you get

unusual looks while working your horses?

Inquiring minds would like to know! :thumbs:

C-Series14

In my area of SW Ohio, I see very few WH's. I would be willing to bet I am the owner of the largest collection of them around! The guy that built the wacky WH's use to have alot but he sold them all I believe. I drive several different ways to work which is 88 miles round trip and I have seen maybe 1 or 2 of them sitting in yards. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 mowing and none plowing snow. Down the road are a couple newer tractors but that is it. I have been offered a free one sevral years ago just because the owner saw me mowing with mine one day.

jerrell

:whistle: Yeah TDB, i had a man deliver 3 loads of donnafil,(very fine gravel) the past week and i was spreading the first load with the wh with the snow plow and the man couldn't believe it, i showed him the rest of the equipment i had , tiller,plow, mower and he was very impressed with the age and the performance of the horse.. stated he was going to look into getting one himself :thumbs: i guess i am the only wh owner here in arkansas so far at least i haven't heard or seen another owner, wished i did have other wh's close by, (maybe make a midnite raid) :whistle:

Duff

Well, Mike, Horses around here aren't exactly common. We had only one dealer in the area who, although moderately successful, didn't exactly light up the sky with inventory out the door. In the past year I've had my Horse radar working overtime wherever I've gone and I've only seen two machines. One was a 300-series mowing a lawn, the other a 211-5 (I think - I may have forgotten the number) at a local shop for repairs. A friend of mine has two C-series, but only because he was a son of the owner of the dealership. That makes four in the area I can account for - not many.

I live on a fairly heavily traveled road and do get a lot of stares, a few honks and some "thumbs up" from folks going by when I'm mowing, so I'm guessing at least some of these people appreciate a Horse for what it is.

Just another Horseman sharing life on a red machine!

Duff :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

maybe make a midnite raid
Jerrell if they think your

going to rustle them.....they won't ever bring them out for you to see! :thumbs:

Great feedback guys.......keep it coming!

Sparky

I used to drive 38 miles to work and 18 of it was on backroads. I got to know who owned what brand of tractor and who actually used theirs for mowing and yardwork. There were 4 houses with Wheel Horse's and they were all workers. Two 70's models, one Black-Hood, and one 520-H. In those five years of driving that route I allways hoped to see one out in the yard with a For Sale sign but it never happened :thumbs: .

I did see the MTD/Craftsman/Murray stuff left out at the curb for the trash man tho.

Mike...........

Sarge

I'm in the same boat here , pretty much the only guy in the area that has one or at least uses it for work . I get a lot of people that stop by, ask questions and such. I had to build a couple of sheds to house them so scrappers would stop asking if they could have them , say since they are heavy the like getting their hot hands on Horses . Threatened to shoot the one guy if he came around here again, he was scoping out a bit too much . Just about every time I've been at the fuel station this past summer mowing Dad's lawn some guy will come up and try to buy the old 1277, despite it not looking the best due to age/neglect . Most can't believe it still runs and works , let alone what I do with it on a daily basis. I'll probably paint the 876 first, and let Dad finish out his retirement years mowing/plowing with the old girl . Should make some noise in his neighborhood since they all use junk box-store lawn mowers . I've invested enough in the last year in my collection to buy a vehicle or two , but since the market keeps going up if nothing else it's an investment , although I'd probably never sell one of them . The damned things are worse than a pet , you just get so attached to them .....lol .

Sarge

Red Horse

Well here in NC there weren't many to begin with. I guess Kevin and I are the only ones who have much of an appreciation for them around here. You also have to factor in the guys who like wh tractors as pullers. They are partly responsible for some of the dissapearance of some of them. Seriously, there weren't many of them to begin with. Don't forget when L 157's were new ,most people were buying Snapper Comets to do the lawn. Why pay so much more for a wh when you can get the same job done on a cheaper mower. Never mind the fact that it would last 4 times as long. Then Mallwart really did in the independent dealer. Now with the recent price spike last summer in scrap, it's no wonder they're dissapearing. Old iron is only old iron so long as somebody dosen't get tempted by high scrap prices. Now it's supply and demand. Decent wh tractors are getting harder to find for a whole variety of reasons. Moral: DON'T throw that part away. Some other guy may need it. They aren't making any more of them so think about that the next time you get a scrap offer. :thumbs:

Kelly

I don't know Mike, I'm here in MI. also and just started collecting about 4.5 years ago, and I have 80+ tractors some are best for parts but still a WH, most of them came from with in 20 miles of my house, in our little town I seen about 6 that are plow tractors, that's just the ones that set out side, I know of at least 10 tractors that are parked in the weeds ( either not for sale or they want to much) and I've past up a few in the local junk yard over the past few years, so I'd say they are around, I think I have the largest collection in my neck of the woods :thumbs: when people see all the ones I have their jaw drops, then the next question is what are you going to do with them??

qd-16

I see a decent amount of Wheel horses around the area I live. The guy that lives a few houses down from me has two, a 1970 and 1971 raider 12. He is about 80 years old and has had them since the early 70's, uses them every week to mow in the summer and pushes snow in the winter.

At one time there was several small Wheel horse dealers in my area, but now only a few who are familiar with the old stuff. I do see people using their horses but most stuff seems to be from the 70's on up. All of my tractors I have found by driving around and garage sales. Prices don't seem to be too inflated (except at an auction and all bets are off, collectors come out of the woodwork!) the most I have paid for one of my horses is my 310-8 with deck and plow and that was $375.

Its not uncommon to see old wheel horses sitting in peoples yards, I can think of at least five of them with 4-5 miles of my house. I don't like to bug people but I'm keeping a close eye on them for any movement :thumbs: .

The road we live on is a state route and when I'm mowing the front yard (usually with the 656) I'll get guys twisting their necks as they go by. Of course when I drive by someone using their Wheel horse, I'm the one twisting my neck!

refracman

Great topic Mike!

Here around my area, I see them in the summer all the time. From the 70s on up to the newer stuff. Still get a lot of people rubber neckin when the Cs are out or one of the loaders, even had one or two stop and shoot the bull, mostly older gents and I thinks its cool when that happens.

It seems like theres a lot of guys that collect in the area. I know of at least 5 or 6 guys with 10 or more, 2 or 3 with 50+. And you can find just about every one made except pre 55.

Teddy da Bear

things are worse than a pet , you just get so attached to them

I know Exactly what you speak of Sarge.... I bought some to resell.....then I tried

them out and nope......it's a keeper instead.... :whistle:

and I have 80+ tractors
Kelly....you had 55 or so tractors

last summer.... You gained 30 tractors since??? :thumbs:

What are you going to do with them? Kelly....your building one of the largest

old wheel horse parts warehouses I know of... Your an invaluable resource (if

your willing to part with the parts) :whistle:

even had one or two stop and shoot the bull, mostly older gents and

I thinks its cool when that happens.

Ahhh...Steve...I have been

waiting for such a thing to happen.... Not sure about the "bull" though...

I can't take too much of that! :dunno:

Awesome feedback......keep going.....

hodge

The stories sound familiar, for the most part. I always have my WH radar on, and Ithink that I am pretty aware of who has wheel horses in my region. They are not very common, but they are being worked. I do not know of any that are wasting away in a field or beside a garage. If they were, I would stop and inquire about them. I just think that they are thinning out, slowly. I use mine, but keep them up, so they will be around for a long time.

Electro12WH

There were never a lot of them in the N. Ill. area. I got a few of them a couple of years ago. But not lately. The ones I've seen advertized have been kind of marked up. I think the word is getting around that people want old tractors and it is affecting the price.

Nick

We had one successful dealer in the area, that is still around, plus some smaller dealers that have gone. I see a lot of WH tractors in the two or three county area I wonder around in. On a summer day I'm bound to see at least one Horse out mowing. Not sure how many use them as garden tractors with a tiller or plow though. Cant say Ive seen any out working down a driveway or garden.

Just outside town I :thumbs: every time I spot a 520H with 60" deck and bagger system out mowing. Its been a while but I have only seen one D mowing with a mid deck and even longer back noticed a D out with the 3pt mowing deck. Other than that there are a lot of C series, 300-500 tractors around and from time to time an older tractor out mowing also.

jusjeepn

I know where there are 10 that i can think of, 7 of which just sit. 5 at one guys house. Iv'e talked to him and he will not part with em. they've been sitting about 8 - 10 years and he will not part with em. None run, all very rusty. 2 I still haven't caught the guy home. One sits on a guys front porch, Round hood, repowered with a newer kohler, no hood. 2 painted up real nice non runners, display in a farmers yard who is strictly green :thumbs: . I know of several workers. Seen one recently, older guy (70+) pushing snow with a 68/69 Raider (by the looks of it). Grinning from ear to ear the whole time too :whistle:

kpinnc

Well here in NC there weren't many to begin with.

No doubt Lance!

But I can take you to at least two dozen different homes in the area that they're still used all the time. I have NO idea who the folks are, but I know what's parked in the shed! :thumbs:

I remember there used to be MANY more here just a few years ago. I knew a couple of collectors who had lots of them. Of course, they gave it up and sold everything off without telling me.

Not many round hoods at all anymore either...

Kevin

bowtieguy

One of the best Wheel Horse dealers had a dealership in a small town about 30 miles south of KC, MO...with a population of probably less than 1K..you know the kind of town where everybody knows everybody and knew their grandparents!..

Now this dealer is gone to greener pastures, but when he was in his prime I think he sold a Wheel horse to everybody in town and plenty to rural folks....so you would think you could find a Wheel Horse sitting around that town somewhere....I posted an ad in the grocery store (only one in town) in the cafe, in the feed store, in the hardware store, in the farmers COOP, in the library....WILL BUY WHEEL HORSES, CASH< RUNNING OR NOT....been 5 years now and I got ONE call...was from a truck driver that spreads ferterlizer for farmers and he drove alot of the "back roads"...I gave him 20 bucks "finders fee" thinking he would probably find several more....NOT....but I know the town is full of them!!

So the moral of the story....owners know that a Wheel Horse will run forever if you take care of them and don't let too many people know that you own one!!!

PS...and the WH he found turned out to be a B-111....not my favorite model but I didn't have the heart to tell him "no, I don't want it"....paid the asking price of 20 bucks and hauled it home....might make good yard art some day!!

PSS...I have "watched" locations where I know there is a WH...for years knowing that SOMEDAY they would be for sale...like the GT-14 w/48" deck, 3 pt hitch w/rear mount tiller, and 54" snow blade...watched it for 3 years, sitting outside getting more faded by the day, knowing the ole gent that owned it was it a nursing home....finally one day I saw his kids moving stuff out of the house getting ready for a sale.....I missed a whole day of work that day!!!...(always carry CASH)

PSSS...I spotted a WH about 5 miles from the WH SHOW in Arendtsville, PA back in 2006....but if I told ya where it was at, I might hav'ta ....(you know the story)

:thumbs:

pfrederi

In rural NE Pennsylvania there are still several people using wheelhorses, most just for mowing. (I am the only one locally using them year around...then a gaoin alot of the oweners are summer folk and the rest are farmers or ex-farmers with real tractors for snow removal....)

Every spring a local farm implement dealer has a big consignment auction. Included each year is a fleet of garden tractors anywhere from 15-30. There are a couple of sears, Mtds but almost all are JDs or Cubs. The last two years there was exactly 1 Wheel horse each year...( I got both!!! and didn't have many bidding against me...)

fritz

I might be young, But once my Freind introduced me to Horses, I knew I had to have one. So i kept my eye out, I know where almost all of the horses that are visible to the naked eye are located in the two towns I am around the most. And I know where one is in between my house and Mr. Jons house. ( I can never catch the people at home). I know where a one owner Raider 12 With electric pto, a blade original wheel horse hub caps, wheeel horse weights he said (i didnt see the weights or the chains) The old fellow told me he has all the paper work since it was new. I think it waas a 1969. At school I know a few people that have Wheel Horses, but they are all kids who pull them. :thumbs: and they wont part with the ones I really like. :whistle: But I have asked almost all my teachers about Wheel Horses. Not one has one. but almost all of them say they are Great little Garden Tractors. My english Teacher said she learned how to drive on a D200 :whistle: Sorry for ramblin. I know Me N My Friend are kinda alone. but im sure there are more We dont know about.

Devin

Rod(NASNUT)

There are a few around here and thay are workers. I also get the looks when I am out doing work with mine maybe they think way is that guy running that old tractor :thumbs:

nylyon

Where I grew up in NJ years ago, we may have been the only family in town with a Wheel Horse. Here, years later, in NY I have seen only 1 other Wheel Horse, a 300 series, which was being used to pull a cart around the yard.

There are few in this area, very few.

KyBlue

Yep...Very few if any in My area..Current RS members excluded ... Everybody either has the green and yellow or the throw away stuff... When I need new WH stuff...Gotta Raid other states...

Nick...Ya better watch out im comin up your way Soon! (if I win the auction!)

GlenPettit

I think everyone over 40 knows how great these Wheel Horses are, and younger people are finding out. A lot of people want the trannys for modifying other tractors or the whole tractor to modify for something because of the overall quality. Some dealers were very aggressive in marketing to their area and thus greater volume, and when one part failed (engine, tranny or deck), due to (dealers high charge for new) cost many people just put them in the back of the barn or garage to fix up later, and that is where we find them years later. It seems that a lot of them are still out back, just waiting for us to find them. So park a few of our beautiful red tractors in the front yard together on a nice day and "the people will come": to ask, to buy, to give, to sell or to tell you of one they know of, much more noticeable than a sign.

lt230s

There are several around here and they get worked.

One neighbor has the Classic 400 series that he uses for mowing, never see him plowing snow though.

Another has a silver Workhorse that he also uses for mowing. The poor WH needs new front bushings :thumbs: , but he just adds grease and continues to mow.

A coworker mows his parents lawn and push snow with a 312-8.

When we get the LR back on it's feet, it will be a worker also.