D.H.

1974 D180 axle bearing cross number

D.H.

Hey guys, blew out my bearing plowing snow. Does anyone know the cross # and if it is pressed in from the inside or out?       Thank you for any help you can give me.   1974 D180 axle bearing 

Edited by D.H.

pfrederi

If you are talking about the needle bearing at the outer end of the axle it is Koyo B-1816  Seal is CR 11124

Bearing goes in from the outside. If the needles fell out you had better split the case and make sure there are none floating around inside.  You really have to split it anyway to get the old bearing out.

Have you ever had the hubs off? That is the miserable part of the repair

welcome

Edited by pfrederi

D.H.

Thank you Very much!!! 

pfrederi

You may not have seen my edit about splitting and pulling the hubs

D.H.

No I have not, any tips? 

pacer
41 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Have you ever had the hubs off? That is the miserable part of the repair

Honestly, this is a mild understatement!!!:-o

• Like 1

pfrederi

You need to pull from the back of the hub.  if you try to pull on the flange you will probably break it, as the flange is thin compared to the overall length of the hub. This is the rig I came up with a few years ago to pull a recalcitrant one.  Pull the set screws and star soaking with your favorite magic juice.

I hope you do not have an FEL, Rear PTO or 3pt.  or turning brakes...each one adds to the complexity and difficulty

IMG_3208_1.jpg

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

tech270154

HI pfrederi

thank you for the pictures after i broke one .....i should of seen them before i start with my three  legs puller,,,

I would like more details about removing the old bearing,i am trying to figure out how the old bearing come out,there is like a flat washer ( was  part broken) under the oil seal and each side of the shaft i have  around 1/8 in.  SO HOW  do you remove the old bearing cage from ther ?? also the oil seal with side does it goes ? would you agree the wrap around spring goes toward the outside,toward  the wheel ??

i have around half of the needles bearings  left so i hope they did not fell toward the inside ?? would it be a chance not opening the casing to search for them ??

main question: HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE OLD BEARINGS CASING ??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP

953 nut
13 minutes ago, tech270154 said:

HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE OLD BEARINGS CASING ??

You will need to remove the transmission and open it. Look over this post, should guide you through the process.

tech270154

thank you 953 nut

• Thanks 1