ebinmaine

Can someone tell me what this switch should do And how to wire it?

ebinmaine

15202413211791762168688.jpg.7801eb07538eb25d906028a726ead290.jpg1520241373247456249611.jpg.5b3db585ad6a9c6b8dbee894ce1f8e0b.jpg

JPWH

It is a single pole switch that illuminates when on. I have not wire one but you could ohm it out to see which terminals make when switched. If the center terminal remains open that would be ground for the led.

ebinmaine

I took it apart last night.

No center terminal. 

2 separate internal circuits. 

The two terminals marked with a x between are connected internally to the light. 

The other two, closer together,  are the actual switch. 

I've not had much electrical experience in recent years but why is there 2 terminals with the light across them? 

• Confused 1

953 nut

It is a single pole/single throw switch which will illuminate the handle with a red light when on.

You would supply 12 volts to one of the light terminals and a return (ground) to the other light terminal, polarity doesn't matter. The other two terminals would be the switched load, again polarity is not a concern. 

The reason there are four terminals is you might not be switching a 12 volt load with it.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

It is a single pole/single throw switch which will illuminate the handle with a red light when on.

You would supply 12 volts to one of the light terminals and a return (ground) to the other light terminal, polarity doesn't matter. The other two terminals would be the switched load, again polarity is not a concern. 

The reason there are four terminals is you might not be switching a 12 volt load with it.

Ahhhh...

I knew it was a lit switch and I had never seen a 4 terminal single pole single throw before.

I've had this switch in a box of stuff for a decade or two and I don't actually remember if it works. There is no internal connection from one circuit to the other. Tried it with a multimeter and also physically took it apart. That would tell me that you would have to run a jumper from the  switched side to power the light off and on..... assuming both will be a 12 volt circuit.

953 nut
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

assuming both will be a 12 volt circuit.

Chances are this would be used for a secondary purpose. As an example, if you wanted to be able to eliminate the PTO/Seat switches temporarily you could put this switch in line with them and know when they were on by seeing the red lighted switch. This could be done on a battery powered ignition or magneto.