Digger 66

LED Shop Lights

SylvanLakeWH

Looks like a nice, consistent high quality ambient light. And relatively cheap! I like it!

Any guess on what they draw compared to regular old light bulbs for the same amount of light?

Tractorhead
54 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Looks like a nice, consistent high quality ambient light. And relatively cheap! I like it!

Any guess on what they draw compared to regular old light bulbs for the same amount of light?

This depends on LED spots per inch.

mostly cheap stripes have 3 LED spots on 1.9 inch.

some rare have 5 LED Spots per 1.9 inch.( they are much brighter but more powerconsumpt)

for easy compare you can say about 100cm is equal to 39,3 inch will be the same light as 39 inch neon tube,

but flicker free light and overall much less powerconsumpt.

If they been protected Watertight insulation (on highvoltage LED Stripes normally allways) 

they had a bit more spread sideway‘s that the unprotected LED Stripes.

I use mostly 12V Versions, some with Switching regulators And in the shed i use them with a Car battery with Solar feed. 

I compared them into Shed to bulbs and found similar brightness will be available with at least 60W bulb.

• Thanks 1

JoeM
19 hours ago, pullstart said:

BIG BIG difference!  There’s barely a need for the front lights.

I see, B)

I was just thinking how easy that could be, a hand full of zip ties, helper on the forks, an hour later let there be light!

Brand name on the rope manufacture?

Pullstart

@MrOiluj52 I did it crawling around in the rafters...  still not terrible work!  

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

For you guys with tall barns, there is the high bay lighting available.  I still have the 450 watt matal halide lights, and the commercial supply house who sold them to me emphasized that they are designed to focus to a certain distance from the light. He even asked me if most of my work was on the floor ar at seated orstanding position.   Those lights were as natural as they could have been and the best i can describe them is perfectly filtered sunlight.

The spread is a lot and  two would have been plenty for a 36x60 barn.

if you decide to go this route with LED, be aware of the focal point of these lights and the color range. Keep in mind the height off the floor that the light was designed for. Here is an example of the fixture type that I am describing, but it is not an endorsement of them at all. Stuff sold on the internet can be advertised at a given light output and be as much as 30% below that. It might be worth going to a commercial supply house and paying more for expert advice. https://www.amazon.com/GRANDLUMEN-Certified-Replacement-Daylight-Warehouse/product-reviews/B071ZS6NHR/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&filterByStar=three_star&pageNumber=1

For just a normal residential garage, the strip or tube lighting is perfectly fine. Harbor Freight has a 48" 5000 lumen light bar for 20 bucks. I might even experiment and throw the light up into the old reflector in the existing fixture for indirect lighting.

I did a kitchen remodel and the old lighting was those horrible 7 inch diameter recessed fixtures from the 70's and eighties. they were replaced with 2 " diameter LED that have replacement bulbs available [some do not have have changeable bulbs]  It made the job into a showcase instead of a "just get by " remodel. It was a horrible experience on my shoulders cutting and patching drywall at a very uncomfortable position , but I am sort of " old and give out"

The customer and i went to a granite supply house to pick out his countertops and of course they had them well lit in the show room. It was LED of course and immediately became a must have for the project

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

For you guys with tall barns, there is the high bay lighting available.  I still have the 450 watt matal halide lights, and the commercial supply house who sold them to me emphasized that they are designed to focus to a certain distance from the light. He even asked me if most of my work was on the floor ar at seated orstanding position.   Those lights were as natural as they could have been and the best i can describe them is perfectly filtered sunlight.

if you decide to go this route with LED, be aware of the focal point of these lights and the color range. Keep in mind the height off the floor that the light was designed for. Here is an example of the fixture type that I am describing, but it is not an endorsement of them at all. Stuff sold on the internet can be advertised at a given light output and be as much as 30% below that. It might be worth going to a commercial supply house and paying more for expert advice. https://www.amazon.com/GRANDLUMEN-Certified-Replacement-Daylight-Warehouse/product-reviews/B071ZS6NHR/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&filterByStar=three_star&pageNumber=1

For just a normal residential garage, the strip or tube lighting is perfectly fine. Harbor Freight has a 48" 5000 lumen light bar for 20 bucks. I might even experiment and throw the light up into the old reflector in the existing fixture for indirect lighting.

I did a kitchen remodel and the old lighting was those horrible 7 inch diameter recessed fixtures from the 70's and eighties. they were replaced with 2 " diameter LED that have replacement bulbs available [some do not have have changeable bulbs]  It made the job into a showcase instead of a "just get by " remodel. It was a horrible experience on my shoulders cutting and patching drywall at a very uncomfortable position , but I am sort of " old and give out"

The customer and i went to a granite supply house to pick out his countertops and of course they had them well lit in the show room. It was LED of course and immediately became a must have for the project

Not that I doubt your high ceiling bulbs, but they’re twice what I paid to brighten up a 40x80..

The Tuul Crib

Started putting up my new LED lights I got off of Amazon. I picked up 6 - 8 foot strip lights and got two up when I got home from work. Already a big improvement !  I have 9 foot ceilings in my shop and this is helping illuminate my work area so far !  I should have the rest of them up in a couple of days !

B864C76A-C315-48E9-9F94-451B2A12F28B.jpeg

D45CBEBB-6A72-4A8A-BB02-015256E691CA.jpeg

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 3

ZXT
On 11/19/2019 at 5:10 AM, ohiofarmer said:

Responding to an old comment i know, but I have experience with the 48" LED strip light from Harbor Freight. I replaced roughly 10 4" 4-bulb fluorescent 40x40' shop bay with a 14' ceiling with 10 of the single- strip 48" fixtures, hung about 2' down from the ceiling.

In addition to the fluorescent fixtures, the shop also had high bays. The HF lights are easily brighter than both of the previous combined. I highly recommend them.   

3 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Started putting up my new LED lights I got off of Amazon. I picked up 6 - 8 foot strip lights and got two up when I got home from work. Already a big improvement !  I have 9 foot ceilings in my shop and this is helping illuminate my work area so far !  I should have the rest of them up in a couple of days !

You're going to need sunglasses when you're done! B)

Edited by ZXT

The Tuul Crib

OK I got the rest of them up tonight and have a temporary hook up and OMG !

This should help these old eyes see what I'm doing ! 

AED3B1B1-40DD-47ED-8DD7-26B42E05DF71.jpeg

• Like 2