Emt260

New Motor??

Emt260

Good morning everyone,

I have a question for anyone who can help. I have been without the use of my 1983-84 Wheel Horse "Workhorse" GT1100 for almost a year. I have had it I the shop for more than 8 months having the throttle assembly completely rebuilt (trying to find and buy all those parts was very difficult) just to have the mechanic say, well we got it started but it won't stay running. He then proceeds to tell me that it has something to do with the governor, and he doesn't want to do the work, and gave me back the machine in pieces. Now I cannot find anyone who will touch this machine because of its age, would it be best to just replace the motor with a new model? If so what do I need to do to locate a new engine? 

Thanks for any direction...

Joe

• Sad 1

littleredrider

First of all find a new mechanic. Governors are stupid easy to put back together, so why this guy couldn’t figure it out who knows. Look for an engine manual, you will prolly be able to put it together yourself...

• Like 4

953 nut

:WRS:       First, NEVER go back to that shop! Withe these manuals for your tractor and engine you or friend should be able to get it back together.

• Like 3

JoeM

I have a GT1100 setting in my bone yard. It did run when parked but was weak. I can try to take a few pics today of the carburetor and linkage assy.

I can sell your some of the parts if you need them.
let me know

I added these pictures, probably not much help. If you need me to I can take it apart.

GT1100CarbLinkage4.jpg.3c918d81dc915ffacbefa68689e1ad1b.jpgGT1100CarbLinkage3.jpg.e436221a1cd0f3f125d0415ae96cc43f.jpg

GT1100CarbLinkage2.jpg.6011e6f32638c8904eb616660f6609a9.jpgGT1100CarbLinkage1.jpg.1af1d35586314dfb2c3c2e030ee51011.jpg

Edited by OILUJ52
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Emt260

Thanks everyone! This was my father tractor and my son is very attached to it. Don't want to let it go....

• Like 4

formariz

Not the answer to your specific problem, and not knowing what your profession is or if you are mechanically inclined please allow me to tell you a "little" story. I will try to make it short.

Years back before the Wheel horse Era here, I had neither he interest nor inclination to deal with any of the machinery around property. I also used to immediately take everything to the local mower repair place where immediately about a hundred bucks were be spent for them just to look at the thing regardless of what it was. The amount of money I spent over the years many times just because I left gas in the machines over the winter or summer and gummed up carburetor probably would replace some of the machines. And of course things like the snow blower only do not start in the winter when you have snow. Once you take it there now you lost it for at least a month. A lot of the problem descriptions and charges I would get, were also so ridiculous and outrageous that I would leave there often with my intelligence and ego totally bruised.They might as well have written SUCKER on the receipt instead of PAID.

Then one day this cute little red tractor was for sale. Guess where. I needed that thing like a hole in the head. However it was so freaking cute , had so much character, looked like a big tractor,it was old, really old, and it just spoke to me. I bought it. I am certain without a doubt the guy probably said to himself, that is it, he will now be here every month with that piece of crap.

That day was actually the last time I have ever stepped into a mower or machine repair shop up to today. Once here I couldn't take my eyes away from that little tractor, I went to see it every chance I had, I started cleaning it, tightening stuff, started noticing how sturdy and simple it was, how every part of it was open and visible and how it worked. Now I am totally hooked and so is the oldest son.I need to know more about it so I start searching for information about it. Eventually I end up here.

Fast forward a few years how things have changed. People now bring me stuff they cant get started or it doesn't work right. I can successfully rebuild an engine (figure that one out). What was a frustration, and an ordeal became not only a beloved hobby but a life passion. Ironically not too long ago I came across the owner of that repair shop at the local bank. He didn't ask me how I was doing, he asked me if I got rid of the Wheel horse.Of course since I never went back what else could I have done. I told him no I still have it and it looks great next to the other 10, to which he let out a loud WHAT?, and asked if they work. Every single one I told him.

Now for the moral of the story.Not everyone is mechanically inclined but in my humble opinion if one owns one of these older machines, one has to learn how to perform basic diagnostics and repairs on them or they will be financially unsustainable and a great source of frustration.Unfortunately many of the shops out there are less than honest or capable and take advantage of the clients lack of knowledge on the subject. And there are less and less of them everyday since we know not only have a dispose mentality from manufacturers but also a throw away mentality from consumers much due to the labor cost of repairing anything.

Last but not least, I know for a fact that if you cannot find in this forum not only the necessary information to deal with your tractor and also at least one member that that will guide and advise you how to successfully resolve your issue, then there is no hope out there for your tractor.

• Like 5

Sarge

:text-yeahthat: X100...perfectly said !!!

I've always turned wrenches since I was a little kid helping Dad in the garage working on his muscle cars and my grandfather would work on anything just to save a buck - it was a different era for sure compared to today. I can fix almost anything you can think of, fabricate, weld and get a lot of other people's stuff dumped here to be repaired or rebuilt, even trinket type decorations. Only recently have I ever allowed another mechanic to touch a vehicle of mine and that's only due to age/health and lack of correct diagnostic equipment or service manuals. I hate it , and they hate it when I walk in the door because I'll research things to death before allowing anyone to charge me money for something I feel I should do myself anyway - informed customers are a pain to any type of a dealership that profits from folks not knowing any better.

Anyone that brings something here to be repaired, regardless of what the item is gets a lesson in why it failed or doesn't work, how to fix it as well as how to prevent repeating the problem. I prefer to educate them instead of just charging money - plus, it also saves me the headache of repeated repairs from their ignorance.

People just aren't aware of a lot of things that can cost them a lot of money - there is no one that knows me personally that isn't aware of the issues with ethanol - I'm like a preacher about it, especially on small engines. Hate to :deadhorse: - but that just irritates me to no end and has resulted in taking up far too much of my time and there is nothing I hate worse than fixing the same parts over and over again. That's the definition of stupid, btw. Two people have been told to go elsewhere from constantly being too cheap not to use good fuels that aren't laced with ethanol - their argument was it was cheaper for me to fix the engine later, wrong answer here...

That said, the folks here are second to none and can easily teach/help you with fixing that machine - and that means all of it . If you have any kids that are interested in it as a project - even better and plenty of kids are here learning right along with a parent or on their own just how to keep these things alive - far better teaching aid than buying something new that will never last very long. You will learn there are a lot of us here that are from older generations and even some younger ones that dislike the disposable mentality of today's society - we're out to change that and it helps preserve our hobby for years to come.

Ask away, we're here to help - this stuff does not belong in a scrap yard, ever.

Sarge

• Like 3

Emt260

I agree! I love this machine, and I really do not want to see it go. It is a solid machine and was running perfectly up until the throttle assembly literally fell apart because it was so old and most of the gearing was plastic. That being all replaced, now the guy who worked on it said he thinks the governor needs adjusting and he didn't have time to tear it all apart to work in it. I firmly believe he was just trying to get me to purchase a kubota. 

Im still looking and learning and I really appreciate all your help and guidance.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

We're all here for ya. And your tractor. 

Until about a year ago I could take most anything apart. ... but only put some things back together. 

I've learned sooo much. 

An excellent feeling. 

Glad your on board with us. 

ebinmaine
On 2/16/2018 at 10:33 PM, Emt260 said:

Thanks everyone! This was my father tractor and my son is very attached to it. Don't want to let it go....

You won't need to. ...

Part of the beauty of owning an older :wh: machine is the simplicity of design and ease of repair. Not to mention absolutely unbeatable support on that and many many other things from this forum. 

midpack

I just "set" a governor for the first time. It was a good excuse to buy one of those digital laser measuring tools!  :) it really didn't cost much and worked like a charm. as far as setting the governor, that took some trial and error but I got the RPM right around 3400. the info I looked up said 3600 max RPM, so I figured I was good.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, midpack said:

I just "set" a governor for the first time. It was a good excuse to buy one of those digital laser measuring tools!  

I appreciate your logic there. I use that as often as I can myself. But, haha!.... it is not an excuse! It is a reason.

Just think of all the money you saved by not having to bring your tractor to a repair shop.

midpack
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I appreciate your logic there. I use that as often as I can myself. But, haha!.... it is not an excuse! It is a reason.

Just think of all the money you saved by not having to bring your tractor to a repair shop.

Not sure about the "saving money" part... it was tractor #3, that has earned the name "lunch" for eating engines... I found a K301 for it for $50 that was missing the gov assembly.. the engine starts right up and runs well. smokes a little but it will do for now... lol

• Like 1