hoghead04

416-8 resurrection

hoghead04

Hi guys! I'm a newbie here. I have a 1993 I believe, 416-8. It hasn't ran in about 10 years. My dad shut it off one day and when he tried to start it back up it wouldn't fire. Its a 16hp Onan with 61 hours on the meter. Yes 61 hours. I want to bring this baby to life so I may need some advice from time to time. Its missing a little paint here and there and a little rusty but still has life. I'll get some pics up soon. I have a new battery to install and the project begins. Thanks for looking!

• Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: Hog... Yes 61 hrs is hard to believe. Get that new batt in and check to see if the hr meter rolls with the key in on. Check the fuses and fuse block. Pull a plug to check for spark or use a tester. Other things to check but will start with the basics. Others will be along to greet you and offer troubleshooting tips.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 2

hoghead04

Thanks Jim. Will do. I'm gettin horse fever and really want to hear this Onan roar again. It ran great and has the 42"RD deck which mowed beautifully. Been long overdue

• Like 3

WHX??
7 minutes ago, hoghead04 said:

I'm gettin horse fever

Atta boy.... yes a 416 particularly with a 8 speed is a great all around tractor! :handgestures-thumbupright: After a ten year sit you may want to check fuel lines, filters, fresh gas & shot of sea foam.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1

hoghead04

I certainly will Jim. I'm no mechanic by any means and have not worked with an Onan myself. I appreciate your input. 

WHX??

No worry LOTS of Onan pros & experts  here... Even tho I have four of them I'm not one of them tho! :)

• Haha 1

Sarge

I'd drain the fuel and oil before ever attempting to turn it over. Fresh fluids go a long way. Hopefully it didn't sit with a load of ethanol-laced fuel in it - that will result in a bad set of issues.

Sarge

• Like 2

Achto

:text-yeahthat: and :WRS:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti: glad you found us!  You will definitely find the help and advice and parts, if need be, to get that heirloom tractor back up and rolling!  That is a nice machine and those Onan gear slammers are brute beasts for sure.  I can’t wait to see pics...:wwp:

onanparts.com

In addition to the advice already mentioned, the cylinders will be very dry after 10 years! Before trying to get it to fire up first remove the spark plugs and squirt/pour some fresh motor oil into the cylinders. At least 2-3 teaspoons worth. Turn engine over with the starter for 3-5 seconds. Might place some rags over the plug holes to catch any oil that might escape. :)  Also the specific Onan engine model is P216G.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

KC9KAS

hoghead04

Thank you all. Excellent advice! 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

hoghead04

Ok guys. I have an update. The hours meter is 161 not 61 and I checked the serial number and it turns out to be a 1990 model. I just ran up to my sisters' garage and checked it out. I stored it there 3 years ago. Before that it was under a tarp outside. What a shame! I'm gonna get some pics up for everyone before I get started. Gotta get some filters and oil. I welcome all suggestions on brand and weight. I won't turn her over until I get new fluids in her. It's funny, I own a 1984 JD 430 and 2013 X300 but I am more excited about my dad's rusty Ole wheelhorse. Thank you again for your enthusiasm! 

Edited by hoghead04
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

10w30 in the engine use a genuine Onan oil filter or NAPA//Wix equivalent, I don't have a gear drive yet so can't help you with the trans fluid, a new set of spark plugs would not hurt either, Jeff.

• Like 1

WHX??

Many of us here prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30, 1410 is the NAPA/WIX filter.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
20 hours ago, hoghead04 said:

It's funny, I own a 1984 JD 430 and 2013 X300 but I am more excited about my dad's rusty Ole wheelhorse! 

The 430 is a massive and well made diesel workhorse for sure.  Our church owned one for about a decade and used it to maintain the property including cutting about 7 acres of lawn weekly.  It was a beast and served faithfully for a long time. I have had no personal interaction with the x300 series JD’s but I have friends that own them and say that they are really good tractors too.  

However, there is something about the simplicity and compact toughness of a :wh: that is hard to get over.  Some people also have wired in them the desire to take something, that many people would say isn’t worth the effort,  and make it new again. You may have some challenges ahead of you getting the tractor going or it may go as smooth as changing fluids, priming the cylinders, fresh battery and start!  Either way, that tractor is worth it not just because it is a Wheel Horse, not just because it is a well made tractor, but also because of the link to your dad!  The two JD’s above are hydros, that gear jammer will be really fun to drive especially while you are listening to the throaty sound of that ONAN barking out of the exhaust...

Because I primarily use my 314-8 for furrow plowing (heavy abuse on the drivetrain) I run full synthetic Amsoil gear oil in the tranny and full synthetic Amsoil in the engine.  I’ve had good luck with both so far...

• Like 2

Sarge

I've been running Kohler's engine oil for about a year now - it's suppose to be compatible with the older engines per their listings and use the straight 30w in summer, 10W30 in our cold winters here. Hydro units get 10W30 Mobile One, any manual gear drives get 75W90 synthetic Valvoline or Mobile One.

Sarge

• Like 2

hoghead04

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. You guys are going to be my wisdom and motivation to see this through! The weather has been awful here in western MD and I would like to see a decent warmer day to get to work on this horse. I thought maybe I should wait until above freezing temps to give her a crank. Anxiously waiting

cpete1

Is the engine turning over or is it just dead ? Mine has a problem with the wiring harness at a connection right in front of the steering housing. (In between battery and engine) Try wiggling the wire and see if you get intermittent power while trying to start. One of the pins in the plastic connector module looses contact. Let us know your progress, and :text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum. When it acts up it will kill the engine completely. 

Edited by cpete1

cleat
On 2/1/2018 at 5:56 PM, WHX14 said:

Many of us here prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30, 1410 is the NAPA/WIX filter.

Napa 1410 is for the hydro rear.

Napa 1762 will fit your engine.

Cleat

WHX??
1 hour ago, cleat said:

Napa 1410 is for the hydro rear

My bad if we weren't talking about the hydro.