Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ohiofarmer

I have been busy cleaning up and organizing my shop. It got pretty cold out there, so as a reward for uncovering a couple if engines I had stuffed under a table, They went inside the heated room for review.

Here is a 14 HP shaker. She shook enough that the coil blew a hole in the tin.. Also, there is some erosion at the edge of the piston bad enough that the top piston ring is visible by almost an eighth of an inchspacer.png. If you line it up with the exhaust valve the eroded edge is evident. The bore feels tight and round, but maybe it's just a cheap piston because it looks like a replacement stamped .003

IMG_20240224_172227.jpg

IMG_20240224_171048.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

lynnmor
7 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The bore feels tight and round, but maybe it's just a cheap piston because it looks like a replacement stamped .003

IMG_20240224_171048.jpg

Some engines had .003 oversize pistons from the factory.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

there is some erosion at the edge of the piston bad enough that the top piston ring is visible by almost an eighth of an inch

Seems I've been told in the past that may have been because a PO ran the engine very lean for an extended time period.  

I have a K341 here like that. 

Very likely it'll want a .030 over bore. 

I may go even more with my own. 

squonk
On 2/19/2024 at 10:41 PM, cleat said:

Ford limited slip additive is great smelling (not) as well.

GM had the same stuff in a different bottle. Nasty. Also GM and Chrysler had the same "Heat Valve Penetrant." Same exact can just a different label. Didn't smell too bad until you heated a bolt that it was on. 

squonk
13 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I have been busy cleaning up and organizing my shop. It got pretty cold out there, so as a reward for uncovering a couple if engines I had stuffed under a table, They went inside the heated room for review.

Here is a 14 HP shaker. She shook enough that the coil blew a hole in the tin.. Also, there is some erosion at the edge of the piston bad enough that the top piston ring is visible by almost an eighth of an inchspacer.png. If you line it up with the exhaust valve the eroded edge is evident. The bore feels tight and round, but maybe it's just a cheap piston because it looks like a replacement stamped .003

IMG_20240224_172227.jpg

IMG_20240224_171048.jpg

All pretty common. The coils busted off a lot of them. I have seen a dozen or so pistons eroded away like that. That .003 is probably factory to correct a assembly error. 

erosion.jpg.6edbe59b8298dff4d7d0d80a8499ca25.jpg

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA

I replaced a spark plug.  And what a treat it was investing no more than seven minutes locating the problem, finding the box of spares, installing the plug and hearing that 341 roar back to life!  I wish every problem could be that easy to fix.  It’ll soon be time to pull off that snow blower that’s on target to see another full season of unemployment.  I’m not complaining, though.

• Like 4

pfrederi
1 hour ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I replaced a spark plug.  And what a treat it was investing no more than seven minutes locating the problem, finding the box of spares, installing the plug and hearing that 341 roar back to life!  I wish every problem could be that easy to fix.  It’ll soon be time to pull off that snow blower that’s on target to see another full season of unemployment.  I’m not complaining, though.

Haven't used my bower either even have taken the battery out to use in my electrolysis set up.

• Like 2

BrianKoch

Gentlemen,

Today I prepped the ‘69 for totally new electrical. Swapping magneto to battery ignition. 

Unfortunately I checked out the ‘68 and noticed the brake shaft seal is leaking again…maybe the shaft is worn too much. 

Anyone install a wear sleeve for this problem before? I’m looking at SKF’s Speedi-sleeve 99050 for reference. 

IMG_2022.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch
  • Like 1

pfrederi
39 minutes ago, BrianKoch said:

Gentlemen,

Today I prepped the ‘69 for totally new electrical. Swapping magneto to battery ignition. 

Unfortunately I checked out the ‘68 and noticed the motion control linkage seal is leaking again…maybe the shaft is worn too much. 

Anyone install a wear sleeve for this problem before? I’m looking at SKF’s Speedi-sleeve 99050 for reference. 

The sealing for the shaft is the two O rings.  O rings are more forgiving about shaft wear than seals and it is pretty clean in there not like axles etc. But more important the shaft doesn't move very much only a partial turn when you change speed not a continuous spinning like a pump input shaft  Have never seen one with any noticeable wear on the shaft.  The large O ring can be very hard to get in and stay seated in the triangular plate.  That is why I switched to a square profile O ring for the large one,  some grease to hold it and I haven't had any  re-leaks...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

BrianKoch
54 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The sealing for the shaft is the two O rings.  O rings are more forgiving about shaft wear than seals and it is pretty clean in there not like axles etc. But more important the shaft doesn't move very much only a partial turn when you change speed not a continuous spinning like a pump input shaft  Have never seen one with any noticeable wear on the shaft.  The large O ring can be very hard to get in and stay seated in the triangular plate.  That is why I switched to a square profile O ring for the large one,  some grease to hold it and I haven't had any  re-leaks...

Oops, I misspoke. The brake shaft seal is leaking again, not the motion control. 

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, BrianKoch said:

The brake shaft seal is leaking again

Are you sure the bearing is OK Brian?

BrianKoch
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Are you sure the bearing is OK Brian?

Unsure, Ed.

How would I know? 

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, BrianKoch said:

Unsure, Ed.

How would I know? 

Push the shaft L-R-UP- DN.   There should be no movement.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
16 hours ago, squonk said:

All pretty common. The coils busted off a lot of them. I have seen a dozen or so pistons eroded away like that. That .003 is probably factory to correct a assembly error. 

erosion.jpg.6edbe59b8298dff4d7d0d80a8499ca25.jpg

ohiofarmer

The bore on the block looks good I evaluated it by inserting a piece of 3 inch PVC and it showed no visible wear. This looks like a candidate for a re-ring and new piston. I had previously welded a long crack in the engine tin so all it needs is a backup piece cut from an old piece of sheet metal and held in place with sheet metal and a JB weld patch/body filler. I absolutely cannot tear it down until the two cycle carb builds on some chain saws and trimmers  is complete. Spring is coming and medical appointments for my wife post op is tomorrow. It has been a year of big medical care around here, so I hope we get some breathing room..

That piston being oriiginal would be good news. That would mean the engine has low hours, so I will check the bore with a bore gauge

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Tractorhead

Depending on how the bore itself looks, i allway‘s would give it a new gently honespurs.

to prevent the Engine becomes an oilpump.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
3 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Depending on how the bore itself looks, i allway‘s would give it a new gently honespurs.

to prevent the Engine becomes an oilpump.

i agree. there are a few vertical microscratches , but not deep enough to feel them. with a fingernai.

Pullstart
On 2/4/2024 at 10:03 PM, Cody said:

Much to my surprise when I got there he drags out a mint 42" deck and power flow baggers too that were never mentined in the add

Same happened when I picked up Chloe my 953.  It came with some goodies not mentioned and he told me it should have been able to sell itself for the price, the extras were to a willing buyer.

• Like 1

87 416-8 horse

I just finished building a custom rear hitch for my 1987 416-8. I didn't want to take a chance at breaking the ear off or punching a hole in the bottom of the diff. I made it so I can put any kind of hitch in it.

hitch (1).jpg

hitch2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 8

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

I just finished building a custom rear hitch for my 1987 416-8. 

Niiiiice 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

D_Mac

Woke up the 856 "Forsaken" today. Its been sleeping in the garage for a while now. It fired right up and I cruised around  the backyard for a few minutes.

20240226_142607_resized.jpg

20240226_142617.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2