Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Achto
18 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

@Achto runs a small diesel. Care to comment?

I have my Hatz engine set up with full throttle range, 900 - 3600RPMs & run it with a standard 3 speed. Most single cylinder air cooled diesels that I have checked out have an operating speed of 3600RPMs. If you have one that runs at a lower RPM you could certainly pulley it to get the correct RPM to the hydro pump. 

My Hatz engine does not seem to care too much about how fast it is spinning. At idle in 3rd gear it will still try to rip the front end off the ground when you let the clutch out. LOTS of torque in a diesel.:thumbs2:

• Like 5

Colby G

Thank you all for all of the info! 

8ntruck

Got some seat time in Clyde the C-195 today sweeping leaves this afternoon.  When I paused to make a small repair on the sweeper, I noticed lots of oil on the engine.  Seems to be emanating from the oil fill port.  Oil level had dropped from full that I noted before we started working this afternoon.

Blow by? Dirty breather?  Bad crank seals?  Got to pull the tins and take a look.  Probably will pull the heads at the same time to see what the bores look like too.  Sounds like a project for next spring.

I then got Morgan the 14-8 out to sweep for the rest of the day.  The auto in the C-195 seems much more suited to the task of sweeping than the gear jammer in the 14-8 - especially when I was backing the sweeper up to empty it onto the fire.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

GEAR JAMMER in the 14-8 - especially when I was BACKING

Backing up.. is the reason I wanted an 8 speed in the first place.  

Being able to divide the (IMHO too fast reverse speed) by 4, makes all the difference.  

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
20 hours ago, Sarthurs01 said:

Got a little seat time and turn some dirt last night. Always a good time behind the wheel

IMG_7118.jpeg

Sweet color combo on that machine! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Sweet color combo on that machine! :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Sarthurs01

Agreed. 

A lot of grays and tans look pretty good on these.

@Chris G has a neat one too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8ntruck
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Backing up.. is the reason I wanted an 8 speed in the first place.  

Being able to divide the (IMHO too fast reverse speed) by 4, makes all the difference.  

I found the ease of changing from forward to reverse with a single control on the hydro handy.  I could also get a slow reverse speed. 

Can get the same motions with the manual, but that involves coordination of several controls.

I can also see where a foot control would be nice.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Something I've also considered for my hydro snow tractor.

It's the only Hydro we have with no intention of changing that and. I barely used it so I didn't want to make up my mind until I have some time operating the machine, after this winter.

EDIT:

Ease of control on that machine while wearing big thick gloves is why I added the extension sticks to the motion control and lift levers.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: I don't have any seat time on anything with a foot control.  But, I found I was needing 3 hands at times yesterday - steering wheel, motion control lever, and pulling the dump rope for the sweeper.  Having a foot control would solve that.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

IMO, a foot controlled hydro is a must when moving snow in small tight driveways.     In the 5-6 I clear, I  use reverse as much as forward.

It frees up both hands..one to steer with and one to operate the hydraulic lift.

• Like 6

Wheelhorse#1
12 hours ago, TJ5208 said:

Well heres the final product for the rims. More upgrades coming soon.

20231108_145012.jpg

20231108_121338.jpg

Looks great.I always liked the look of black rims on WH. 

12 hours ago, TJ5208 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colby G

My 211-4 for some reason is stalling in 4th gear and I don't know why, could someone give me some info on the topic? It's only 4th gear and it doesn't matter how much throttle I'm at.

Evguy
4 minutes ago, Colby G said:

My 211-4 for some reason is stalling in 4th gear and I don't know why, could someone give me some info on the topic? It's only 4th gear and it doesn't matter how much throttle I'm at.

Is it possible a wire is worn or getting pinched while in 4th? First thought on this.

• Like 1

Colby G
1 minute ago, Evguy said:

Is it possible a wire is worn or getting pinched while in 4th? First thought on this.

What wires could it be?

Evguy

It’s just a thought, I have seen wires pulled or grounded by linkages. It could be a safety switch wire or anything that could interfere with operation. Unless it’s related to load on the engine I don’t see why it would just be fourth gear.

• Like 1

Colby G
18 hours ago, Evguy said:

It’s just a thought, I have seen wires pulled or grounded by linkages. It could be a safety switch wire or anything that could interfere with operation. Unless it’s related to load on the engine I don’t see why it would just be fourth gear.

I recently put a new carburetor float in it, would that have anything to do with it? And at the lowest throttle setting is the only time it goes in 4th.

Edited by Colby G

Wheelhorse#1

Got the new to me B80 8 speed going.

New seat installed I got at the show this yr. and a 36”deck I refurbished a couple yrs ago.

Next on the list is some bigger rear tires . 

IMG_7472.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

stevebo

Looks like perfect match to me Jay!

• Excellent 1

Desko

Finally got around to adding the rock shaft kit I scored on ebay on the 520 today so hopefully I can throw my new to me tiller on in the spring and see how it does! 

IMG_5199.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, davem1111 said:

pull 10 cords out of these woods from trees already down if I wanted to.

My uncle told me years ago you can take one cord per acre per year  in a predominantly hardwood forest.  Never run out. 

We have 10+ acres total. 

Maybe 2 is the living yard area. 

Maybe another 2 or 3 not easily accessible or we don't want to take anything down for privacy retention. 

We burn 4 to 5 cord a year. 

Trina picks trees to prune out or cull every year. 

If one falls it's obviously firewood. 

With the small area of trees  we cleared for the barn last year we didn't even go in the forest at all. 

There's still trees layed over out in the forest from two years ago. 

Next spring we'll get back to processing those and choose a few more to prune out.  

• Like 5

Colby G

I was working on my Charger 12 project and noticed some cracks in the frame I did not see when I bought the tractor, I have not noticed any more than the three. The two I have posted are on the colmn near the shifter and the brake rod and the one I did not post was on the transmission mount, which I have already fixed.

16998119427025930834721627515843.jpg

16998120246993005163704209268128.jpg

• Sad 1