Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I never removed the Welch plug…

I guess had I removed it, although I had no idea how, I would have had to use a new Welch plug to replace, huh ?

That's correct.

Generally, they are destroyed while being removed.

• Like 2

lynnmor
19 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I guess had I removed it, although I had no idea how, I would have had to use a new Welch plug to replace, huh ?

Drill a small hole in it being careful to limit the drill depth to the very minimum, then pry it out.  Yes. you would need a new 3/8" aluminum plug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

There was dirt behind mine even after an ultrasonic bath.

• Like 2

kpinnc
On 6/18/2023 at 9:39 PM, davem1111 said:

And curse a lot. :ranting:   If you can do it without cursing, I admire you. :bow-blue:  If you don't curse for religious reasons, God Bless you.

I'll just say that I shouldn't curse for religious reasons. :rolleyes:

... but, I still do. :unsure:

• Haha 2

CasualObserver

Ordered up a new fuel pump for my 416-8. This one developed a slight drip. :huh:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Desko

New aftermarket carb is installed and I must say I am impressed with how it runs! No more surging most importantly! I will most likely strip the original one down and pull all of the plugs in it and give it a thorough cleaning and keep it as a back up incase this one doesn't hold up but for under $40 it is definitely worth the try! 

IMG_5024.jpeg

• Like 6

sjoemie himself
On 6/3/2023 at 8:36 PM, Tractorhead said:

They hack more instead of they cut.

Thanks for posting the update. Pretty tall grass and the mower seems to cut well.

About hacking the grass:

perhaps you could try to choose a lower gear to give the blades a bit more time to cut.

or

try to speed up the rpm's of the mower to give it more chance to cut.

I've assembled a few Claas disc mowers in the past weeks and they cut with 1000 pto rpm and i'm pretty sure the mowerdrums turn even faster.

Please keep us posted.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Mark 

• Like 2

ineedanother
7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I gently punch an awl through them and pry them out, being careful not to drive it into the casting behind. They are cheap to buy, usually in packs of 10 on the :techie-ebay:and installation is simple. Google it, there are some good tutorials on video. 

What I have found lately is that even with relatively new carbs, is that fuel lines disintegrate from the inside because of the ethanol and small pieces find their way into the drillings and jets. That is something compressed air takes care of during a cleaning or rebuild as opposed to the corrosion that ultrasonic cleaners and solvents take care of. All of those drillings have a purpose.

I now move the fuel filter as close to the carb as possible and replace fuel lines every couple years.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, ineedanother said:

usually in packs of 10 on the

You wouldn't happen to know the right size Welch plug for a 70s Kohler carb? 

• Like 1

ineedanother
34 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You wouldn't happen to know the right size Welch plug for a 70s Kohler carb? 

I don't. I don't have any here right now or I would measure one. I think they're larger than what I have, probably 7/16 or 11mm but don't bank on that. I need to order some.

• Like 2

Wvtroutbum81

Put a new brake band and shifter boot on the old 312-8. Also changed the water in the transmission😁

• Haha 9

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Wvtroutbum81 said:

Put a new brake band and shifter boot on the old 312-8. Also changed the water in the transmission😁

You add some fresh caramel did ya?? 

• Like 2

D_Mac

Did some detailing on the FREE10-8 this morning. Coming along nicely. Talked to @Vinylguy yesterday about my custom decals. He should have them done and shipped to me by Monday. If any of you are even even thinking about decals, either factory originals, or a set of customs, @Vinylguy is the best in the business. Great quality and affordable prices. I have purchased several sets from him and he has never disappointed. Can't wait to get them on. I guess I should drag the deck out of the shed and give it a once over. I have no plans on painting it. I fear if I drag it out of the shed those plans might change. 

20230622_122251.jpg

20230622_122119.jpg

20230622_122103.jpg

20230622_122142.jpg

20230622_122024.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 3

ccs002

Was cleaning up parts and tools from working on the B100 Auto and grabbed a picture of the wiped out axle gears along with the homemade lead wheel weights that no doubt helped make them that way. 

20230622_153039.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, ccs002 said:

Was cleaning up parts and tools from working on the B100 Auto and grabbed a picture of the wiped out axle gears along with the homemade lead wheel weights that

DID NOT

help make them that way. 

@ccs002

Those stripped gears are almost definitely the result of someone using improper methods to attempt removal of the rear hubs. 

The hubs MUST be pulled using a good quality hub puller that is NOT a standard 3 jaw type.  

MANY times I've seen pics and in person where folks use a hammer to remove the hubs. 

This destroys the axles as your machine has experienced.  

Lots of folks run lots of weight and never have issues.  

Those gears are destroyed by an outward motion.  

Heavy weights produce a downward motion.  

• Like 1

WHX??

46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@ccs002

Those gears are destroyed by an outward motion.  

Heavy weights produce a downward motion.  

How do you figure EB... I would say 🔨 out on the hubs would break them c clips first? One side and a PO would have learned the lesson? Can't tell but looks like both sides are mangled. Something get in the diff @ccs002? What did the pinions look like? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

How do you figure EB... I would say 🔨 out on the hubs would break them c clips first? One side and a PO would have learned the lesson? Can't tell but looks like both sides are mangled. Something get in the diff @ccs002? What did the pinions look like? 

Looks to me like someone tried one side - failed to remove - and continued to the other ...

I've had transmissions apart with only one bad, but definitely also seen damage to both sides.  

• Like 2

ccs002
6 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

WHX??

The pinions were all pretty beat up, I was guessing from eating all the teeth of those gears. I was guessing jerking something with a chain caused the damage as the hitch pin was very bent but now I'm not as sure. Someone had replaced the LH hub and it looks practically brand new. The keyway on both sides were badly worn and looked like it may have sheered a key or two along the way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

You certainly do raise a valid point of wondering if there's foreign matter in the differential too.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, ccs002 said:

The pinions were all pretty beat up, I was guessing from eating all the teeth of those gears

That's a good guess 

• Like 1

WHX??
21 minutes ago, ccs002 said:

WHX??

The pinions were all pretty beat up, I was guessing from eating all the teeth of those gears. I was guessing jerking something with a chain caused the damage as the hitch pin was very bent The keyway on both sides were badly worn and looked like it may have sheered a key or two along the way. 

Eicch ... sounds like a clear cut case of animal abuse then... I would notify PETA...:lol: Hub keyways are shot I can fix them. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, ccs002 said:

WHX??

The pinions were all pretty beat up, I was guessing from eating all the teeth of those gears. I was guessing jerking something with a chain caused the damage as the hitch pin was very bent but now I'm not as sure. Someone had replaced the LH hub and it looks practically brand new. The keyway on both sides were badly worn and looked like it may have sheered a key or two along the way. 

Pop up some pics of the transmission guts and we can see just what ya need. 

8ntruck

I got around to installing the new battery in Clyde.  He fired right up, and the voltage at the battery was the same as when he was not running.  Not good.

Started tracing wires and discovered that the voltage regulator plug was not plugged into the regulator!  Well, that would explain why the old battery was looking like wasn't holding a charge.

The voltage checked a little higher when running after connecting the regulator.  The meter I have available is an ancient, small analog VOM.  Not sure about its accuracy.  I'll have to update that piece of equipment and take another check.

While I was behind the dash, I pulled the hour meter to check it out on the bench.  It has not been connected since I got the tractor.  Hooked it up and discovered that it works.  Cool! I'll clean it up and reconnect it in the tractor.

• Like 5

kpinnc
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

How do you figure EB... I would say 🔨 out on the hubs would break them c clips first?

Nope. It will shear the spline ends from the axle. Seen it several times.

I'd be curious about the condition of both the axle and differential bearings. Likely the result of a case full of water for a very long time. Axle bearings corrode first, then begin to fail. This allows for misalignment of the axles in the diff end cap. Crunch and grind...

• Like 4