Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lane Ranger
On 12/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:  I'm still trying to understand the reasoning for the one piece frame, fender, seat pan weldment that captures the fuel tank.    :confusion-shrug:

I do like those tall 15" rears and the big comfy two piece seat.

104_1182.JPG.4264d8a48318f17289ee08739fc33e7f.JPG

I always figured that the UAW  autoworkers guys that were employed by Wheel Horse at this time brought their knowledge from working at Studebaker in South Bend where the first unibody welding of an automobile (the Studebaker 1959 Lark) was useful in making the 953/1054!  That’s my theory and I am sticking to it!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

UAW  autoworkers  brought there knowledge from working at Studebaker in South Bend where the first unibody welding of an automobile (the Studebaker 1959 Lark) was useful in making the 953/2054!  

I think you are correct Lane.

When I started working on this 953, I visualized it being fabricated on an assembly line where it could be rotated on all positions for the welding and painting.

Then rotated upside down for the installation of the fuel tank and transmission.   

Welding is certainly a cost savings over machining, drilling, tapping, and bolting components together.     But expensive for the repair and rebuilding guy.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck
On 12/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, WHX?? said:

There lies the ouch in the wallet. Dan's finding out that those size tires are getting scarce and pricey not to mention finding a seat. 

I think after I get a 701 and the Amigo done I'll get started on mine. 

Yup.  I'm shopping for some 9.50-27 x 15's for my C-195.  I can find 9.00 and 10 x 15's, but the 9.50 size does not seem to exist. 

I'm thinking I'll go maybe 10 - 29 x 15.  Those seem to be in the $200 each price range.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Yup.  I'm shopping for some 9.50-27 x 15's for my C-195.  I can find 9.00 and 10 x 15's, but the 9.50 size does not seem to exist. 

I'm thinking I'll go maybe 10 - 29 x 15.  Those seem to be in the $200 each price range.

Call Simple Tire and see what they advise. A lot of their tires have an ACTUAL size listed which is very helpful. 

• Like 3

WHGuy413

After Alex went in and got warmed up and had some dinner last night he ventured back out to the garage with me to help me with my 2 stage blower. Finally got all the springs hooked up. We also Installed a battery cause I’m sick of pull starting it. Now it just needs tire chains and the carb needs to be cleaned. Ever since I ran it out of gas a few weeks ago it’s been running rough and dies randomly. Must have sucked something up into the carb. 

F021487B-2F50-4494-8CB2-96CA159A5847.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

pfrederi

Since the weather weanies can't make up their mind about tomorrows snow.  (Just today they have changed forecast from 8 inches to 3 inches with rain and now 13.7" all snow)   

Need to improve front end sliding on my soft plow tractor.  I have a section of driveway with pavers that my heavy unit scratches.  The soft girl has rubber chains, plastic plow edge and a lot of weight on the stern (about 180 lbs)  She pushes straight ahead well but turning is an adventure as she slides.  The do not make rubber chains that small and I doubt their ability to avoid side sliding anyway.  Dug through some odds an ends and came up with some weight for the front. (Have to look for more weights later) Have to see how this works tomorrow.  Do you think that tri ribs or Ags mounted backwards would be better???

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

• Excellent 4

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Do you think that tri ribs or Ags mounted backwards would be better???

I don't have any experience to validate this Paul, but because you have removed the snow ahead of the fronts, they are basically  on a hard bare surface with nothing soft to bite into, I have doubts that ags or tris would be any better than the sawtooths you have.     If you were plowing on grass or a stone road, I would thing the tris would provide best steering.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
9 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

Ever since I ran it out of gas a few weeks ago it’s been running rough and dies randomly. Must have sucked something up into the carb. 

I have had that happen several times. I have found it's easiest and takes less time in the long run to just clean the tank and carb while putting new lines on. Everytime I shortcut it, I end up doing the whole bit anyway!! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413
59 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I have had that happen several times. I have found it's easiest and takes less time in the long run to just clean the tank and carb while putting new lines on. Everytime I shortcut it, I end up doing the whole bit anyway!! 

Randy

I thought the tank looked pretty good to me. Also has an inline fuel filter. May be time to replace the fuel lines. 

• Like 3

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: congrats!

Did you get the centerfold too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

I thought the tank looked pretty good to me. Also has an inline fuel filter. May be time to replace the fuel lines. 

Matt we're at a point in time where we NEED to consider replacing the fuel lines as a mandatory maintenance item.  

I've seen ethanol damage the lines in as little as a few months. 

If we work on a machine and I don't KNOW the age of the fuel line I replace it without hesitation. It's not an option.  

No different than replacing an air filter or oil filter.  

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Oh 

My

Eyes...

:scared-eek:

Flash to @Pullstart in his boots, gloves, bandages, flip flops and... tractor...

:scared-eek:

Just...Bad... :eusa-hand:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Haha 7

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

fuel lines

To add to this. Go to a good car parts store and get fuel line that's also being used in passenger cars. That stuff is the bees knees and you don't have to worry about replacing it every year.

IMHO you can skip all clear/see through fuel line and go for the thick rubbery stuff. 

If you wanna see what's going on I would opt for a seethrough filter or maybe even a fuel shutoff with (glass) sediment bowl.

• Like 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

There will be some words…. I’m excited to see the mini semi article too!

• Heart 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

To add to this. Go to a good car parts store and get fuel line that's also being used in passenger cars. That stuff is the bees knees and you don't have to worry about replacing it every year.

I'll chip in that most modern autos have higher fuel line pressures than you'll ever see on a WH, even with an electric pump, so the hose is larger and less flexible. This may cause an issue in tight quarters for clearance and bend radius. Frankly, anything that fits that is rated to handle high percentages of ethanol fuel will work. 

Avoid anything that doesn't explicitly state ethanol resistance.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Andy N.   nice job on that , while you were in the area , did you  enhance the idler pulley function?  if needed at all ?  make the rust run out ?  re grease ?   pete

• Like 1

Lee1977
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I'll chip in that most modern autos have higher fuel line pressures than you'll ever see on a WH, even with an electric pump, so the hose is larger and less flexible. This may cause an issue in tight quarters for clearance and bend radius. Frankly, anything that fits that is rated to handle high percentages of ethanol fuel will work. 

Avoid anything that doesn't explicitly state ethanol resistance.

I used the good rubber fuel line in 1/4" and manage to put it on a 5/16" fuel barb, but it isn't easy. I don't used ethanol gas in any of my small engines or anything with a metal gas tank.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
On 12/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, pfrederi said:

Do you think that tri ribs or Ags mounted backwards would be better???

I think tri-ribs would be much better. The fifty year old tires have a lot of tread but it is petrified and will not provide any turning traction.

• Like 1

WHX??
20 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Received a picture from Kate tonight.  I got butterflies!

Wow... must be really hard up for articles... :laughing-rolling:

In the meantime us regular folks just got seat time on a STOCK '62 moving slush. 

It gotherdone but I can see a blade on a hydro in my future... HY lift please thank you @Achto.. :lol: 

Blowers were useless... like blowing concrete. 

20221215_134911.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 3

Achto
15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Blowers were useless... like blowing concrete.

Nice to have a blade in the arsenal. :thumbs2: Hydro drive & lift does make it even better,

• Like 4

WHX??

Got that right ... i see how you go thru scrapers now. Traction was good but gonna throw them 6/12 weights on it. Needs a new throttle cable ... Couldn't keep her on the pipe but a fine running Tecky. :)

• Like 2

Achto
21 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

20221215_134911.jpg

That tractor sure was a good plow day bonus. Sure looks good. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

i see how you go thru scrapers now.

Gets worse with a hydro lift & down pressure.

• Like 4