Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Oldskool
1 minute ago, sjoemie himself said:

That looks badass! I presume this is for snow rather than dirt? Obvious newb question, I know 😇

Actually anything it was pressed against lol. At one point those front corners were used for pushing small roots and stump out of the ground.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

those front corners were used for pushing small roots and stump out of the ground.

That's an interesting concept. 

Sort of a side angled ripper. How did it work?

What do you have for weights and chains to put on Hiram?

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That's an interesting concept. 

Sort of a side angled ripper. How did it work?

What do you have for weights and chains to put on Hiram?

It worked pretty good. I didn't force things alot but will be doing more of it.

Weights/chains. I have quite a bit. I will post some pics as things happen.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977
14 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Built some rear axle brackets for Hiram this afternoon.  It time for him to push a plow.

20220127_171624.jpg

20220127_164710.jpg

The deeper you make the axle brackets the higher you can lift the plow. Got some scrap steel and longer bolts.  If I remember correctly you lifted that tractor. A lock pin hole to keep them closed would be good.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 4

peter lena

@Oldskool like the heavier grade angle steel , that strength just takes over solid control , also prefer that grade in  channel steel, , made up my  spiker aerators  , 30 + years ago , with 6" channel , also makes a great weight tray . nice job , pete 

• Like 4

peter lena

@Oldskool like the heavier grade angle steel , that strength just takes over solid control , also prefer that grade in  channel steel, , made up my  spiker aerators  , 30 + years ago , with 6" channel , also makes a great weight tray . nice job , pete 

• Like 2

peter lena

@ebinmaine  morning , talking about 2 ft  , and also said it would be dry and fluffy , exact oposet of our usual wet sloppy mix , should be some good plowing / blowing fun , wear a safety  vest if you are road plowing , pete 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
21 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The deeper you make the axle brackets the higher you can lift the plow. Got some scrap steel and longer bolts.  If I remember correctly you lifted that tractor. A lock pin hole to keep them closed would be good.

I did lift this tractor. I should have all kinds of height.

There is a lock pin hole on those. Maybe the angle hid that. I have a double nutted bolt to go in it for now

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Oldskool  just thinking how about using that grade angle for a frame upgrade ?  that would be a horse / tank , pete

• Like 3

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

double nutted bolt

That's all I use on my plow tractor. No pins in my handmade brackets. Tighten it up once in the fall and it doesn't come off...

4 minutes ago, peter lena said:

ow about using that grade angle for a frame upgrade

@Oldskool

I did exactly that on the frame to transmission attachment point on Colossus. 

Some point or another I'll add a forward-facing brace as more reinforcement.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Oldskool    that would be a horse / tank , pete

I hope so . I'm going to need it to get thru this next snow

• Like 3

sjoemie himself
6 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Actually anything it was pressed against lol. At one point those front corners were used for pushing small roots and stump out of the ground.

Impressive. Thinking about building a dozerblade for my tractor because implements are pretty rare around here. I would like to use it to push dirt instead of snow and use it around the house and garden.

Should'nt be a problem if I understand correctly?

• Like 3

Oldskool
18 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

implements are pretty rare around here. I would like to use it to push dirt instead of snow and use it around the house and garden.

18 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Should'nt be a problem if I understand correctly?

Mine was at one time a 4 wheeler plow.

Impliments are few and far between around here as well.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3

The frame to rear transmission area needs some definite improvement / bracing.

I don't understand how they cheaped out on that high stress area...especially since its a rotation /pressure area, subjected to plow blades trying to rip it off when plowing snow, or pushing back a snow bank. Pulling a Tiller...or any other implement that creates drag....Needs a 45 degree angle iron added from bottom hole of the transmission mount to the  frame rails !!

:)

• Like 4

Ifixoldjunk

8EBAE025-5D5C-4157-9D35-735477EFC651.jpeg.6d6312117e7324acd8bc6e8bf9492974.jpeg

supposedly getting 6-10 over the weekend. After I get done plowing at work I’ll finally be able to give the single stage a good test. Make a clean spot in the yard for the dog🤣

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

johnnymag3

6-10?????

Where are you in NY?   1-3 forecasted here in Hudson Valley??

peter lena

@Oldskool  nice looking job on that , you might try some chain and cable lubricant on that winch , before the moisture gets in there. spray it on while its pulling the tractor in to it , the cable  twisting , pulls and pushes the lubricant into the cable , making it supple and rust free .  pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

TJ5208

Pushed 2 inches of snow today with the 520-8

IMG_20220128_154305.jpg

IMG_20220128_154311.jpg

IMG_20220128_154315.jpg

IMG_20220128_154319.jpg

IMG_20220128_154324.jpg

IMG_20220128_154328.jpg

IMG_20220128_154334.jpg

IMG_20220128_154338.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

The frame to rear transmission area needs some definite improvement / bracing.

I don't understand how they cheaped out on that high stress area...especially since its a rotation /pressure area, subjected to plow blades trying to rip it off when plowing snow, or pushing back a snow bank. Pulling a Tiller...or any other implement that creates drag....Needs a 45 degree angle iron added from bottom hole of the transmission mount to the  frame rails !!

The only ones I've ever seen break were from wheelies.

It's a fair bet that if you get one that is broken, that or something similar caused it.

There are several folks on here however, who have made nice braces under there for just such a concern. The pic below is not mine, but a good example.

uploads-17.jpg

• Like 4

TJ5208
35 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

It's a fair bet that if you get one that is broken, that or something similar caused it.

There are several folks on here however, who have made nice braces under there for just such a concern. The pic below is not mine, but a good example.

uploads-17.jpg

That is @Achtos tractor

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

uploads-17.jpg

I can promise you...it was not from wheelies...this is an adult who was 50 when he got it....its a real bad design, and I have seen several broken....not from wheelies

• Like 2

johnnymag3

Its a horrible design to put all of the power to a silly little square plate with NO support...

Edited by johnnymag3
  • Like 2

kpinnc
13 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Its a horrible design to put all of the power to a silly little square plate with NO support...

The design like any other has room for improvement. I think if it were a horrible design there wouldn't be thousands of them still working 50-60 years later. It works just fine when used for the loads it was intended for.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1