Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JoeM said:

Yep works well too, but with 6 gallon it is a little too soft. At least for mowing on my hills. 

On the mine the stem is at 12 and tractor jacked up, I can still add air. If adding the full 10 lbs or so of air, I found tires turn to rock. Something of an experiment 

What type of tires?

JoeM
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

What type of tires?

23 10.50 12 Carlisle AG's on a 522xi with a 60" deck. I'll be up at the barn today I got the deck off for now but I'll take a pic of that tire sidewall. I am trying to remember even without adding air there was a couple pounds of pressure in the tire just with the weight of the machine. I did get a little juice out when checking the second tire so I had to jack it up to check. 

• Like 1

JoeM

On the kids 522, using the dico 2 ply, tubed, I used 6 gallons of juice and 8 pounds of air.  The sidewalls were just to soft on those tires to go any lower. That machine stock is just north of 1000 lbs.

Since we are on page 522 I can show a few XI machines.

Pics of where they came from. Barn finds you know! 

FBAddRLeftSidePic1.jpg.17b01bee2f2f80bd49665617e802c92f.jpg553526524_FBPic1.jpg.3911453d62a583c9b04ac3651ff0212b.jpg1731841723_FBMPPostPic9.jpg.78fc99d657e29140d4a36a94cf08c72f.jpg

• Like 5

Ifixoldjunk

EFE92B9D-36F2-48F2-B3A5-717D0585D822.jpeg.4d0181247d1e1a3d129abd764014a673.jpeg

it’s easy to tell where the new paint went. It’s miles better than what it was but it’s still just a rough work tractor.D83C872F-AF92-424D-8DD3-6851FE87C421.jpeg.3f6a3da13be7b1178bed3ed956ab9910.jpeg

id say it at least looks good from 10 feet now!

• Like 4

squonk

Weighted up HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!! IMG_20211006_133434128.jpg.101c8dcb4db82d2dc236edaaad136f90.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
14 minutes ago, squonk said:

Weighted up HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!! 

Yes sir, I have my blade ready, waiting in the wings as well. I am using it now for leaves... (more use will come of it in the weeks to come... when there are enough leaves to bury my HellHorse... LOL)...

Anyhoo... I can't wait for snow... so I can clear our lllooonnnggg driveway!!!

Hopefully, I will be able to get traction with my lug tires... (anybody here got any thoughts on that...?)

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11

Did I tell you guys that I bought a hat for my horse?

Wheel Horse Tractor Hat - Black With Red Flames - Low Crown Baseball Cap

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Did I tell you guys that I bought a hat for my horse?

Wheel Horse Tractor Hat - Black With Red Flames - Low Crown Baseball Cap

Don

Frankly, I think your tractor will look a bit odd wearing that hat. See if you can persuade it to let YOU wear it! :lol:

• Haha 7

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

able to get traction with my lug tires... (anybody here got any thoughts on that...?)

We plow a fairly large width and length area of dirt/gravel/stone. 

We NEED chains. 

Rubber tires of any tread design have VERY limited capability on snow/ice ❄️

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We NEED chains. 

I bought a set of "Terra-Grips" to use this year.  I have a set of regular chains but thinking I didn't want to F up my new asphalt!  Hopefully they will give me enough grip.  I shouldn't need as much grip with the blower as I would with the plow, so I hope they work out well.

I got the side extensions from my friend at a local metal shop.  They bent the 30° angle, I finished the radiused corners and the mounting holes.  All done!  Waiting for snow!

image.png.d44dbf8859bbe0d72cd0751d0331faf9.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 6
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Hopefully they will give me enough grip.  I shouldn't need as much grip with the blower

Absolutely understandable not wanting to ruin a nice fresh driveway. 

Those rubbah chains should be just fine with a blower. 

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but just for the sake of the thread...

Be SURE to add enough rear weight to compensate for the blower and extra for the lack of metal chains. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Well the Ole Ball N Chain has been some busy around the yard here. 

She works from home 3 to 4 days a week. 

Some days her job is pretty forgiving about the time it takes to perform and intervals of checking in on the system so Trina can get some things done on occasion. 

Lately she's been doing a pile of clean up getting rid of the raised bed gardens and distributing that dirt elsewhere.... Amongst 37.2 million other tasks. 

She spread some of the rehomed aggregate down the woods path. 

IMG_20211006_181823.jpg

IMG_20211006_181827.jpg

IMG_20211006_181833.jpg

IMG_20211006_181839.jpg

• Like 7

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Be SURE to add enough rear weight to compensate for the blower and extra for the lack of metal chains. 

Maybe I should go off my diet!  :lol:

I've got wheel weights, 50 lb each or so I think.  Considering Rim-guard for the rear tires.  No 'local' dealers though.  Closest one is about an hour south of here.

Maybe I need to build a weight box for the back instead.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Maybe I should go off my diet!  :lol:

I've got wheel weights, 50 lb each or so I think.  Considering Rim-guard for the rear tires.  No 'local' dealers though.  Closest one is about an hour south of here.

Maybe I need to build a weight box for the back instead.

I get my beet juice 45 minutes from home but I can sorta sidetrack on the way from work. 

It's worth the drive.....

Take the Significant Other out to eat/drink/movie/roller skate/bowling/antique shopping/whatever and just accidentally stop by the Rimguard dealer. 

Just be VERY careful making jokes about how the vehicle is sagging with all the extra weight.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

be VERY careful making jokes about how the vehicle is sagging

No worries there!  I learned that lesson a long time ago!  :lol:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

"Terra-Grips"

I was really impressed with mine pushing a 48" blade.     Great job on the blower.    You even installed the wings correctly.    Over half the blowers I see have them on backwards.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I was really impressed with mine pushing a 48" blade.     Great job on the blower.    You even installed the wings correctly.    Over half the blowers I see have them on backwards.

Thanks Ed,  I think I'll be happy with them also.

I'm real pleased with the way the blower came out!

Yes, I'm a quick learner!  Had I not seen earlier posts about the 'bass ackwards' extensions, it may not have occurred to me to install them the correct way!  

Those are much thicker than the 'stock' ones I think!  I believe OE is 11 gauge ( 0.120 ) and I had them make these out of the same as the side panels on the 'hull' which is 7 gauge ( 3/16" ).  They won't bend!  I'm hoping that's not a BAD thing... ya know, like when you hit something, and something's gotta give...  probably  better that the side plates give.  But it's done and I can't change that now!  I'll just have to be careful!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I'm hoping that's not a BAD thing... ya know, like when you hit something, and something's gotta give...  probably  better that the side plates give.  But it's done and I can't change that now!  I'll just have to be careful

It's easy enough to account for that. 

Shovel out the yard. 

Check for debris. 

Refill yard. 

Snowblow yard. 

You won't anything. 

• Haha 4

Handy Don
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It's easy enough to account for that. 

Shovel out the yard. 

Check for debris. 

Refill yard. 

Snowblow yard. 

LOL.

May need this advice for the driveway. Shredded the newspaper hidden under many inches of snow. Twice. Shear pins did work as designed, though!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

LOL.

May need this advice for the driveway. Shredded the newspaper hidden under many inches of snow. Twice. Shear pins did work as designed, though!

I worked with a fellow many moons ago that was using a walk behind snowblower. Drove it into a snow bank and it just catastrophically shut off.

He backed it off and looked where it was and didn't see anything. Started it right back up and repeated the exact same procedure.

He went and got a hand operated digging utensil and soon uncovered a very very solidly frozen road-killed cat. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

D_Mac

Got a deck back from getting a patch welded on it. Sprayed some paint on it and put it on the 500 Special. I need to pick up a belt that goes from the deck to the engine. 1/2 x 28 is what is in my head . Someone correct me if I am wrong.

20211007_174310.jpg

20211007_174335.jpg

20211007_174346.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Finally after 4 years and 3 cables, got a throttle on HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!!  that works correctly!IMG_20211007_132557640_HDR.jpg.63c7b4804e0c09e935cd5823faed4688.jpg

Trina has 3 tractors with that push/pull cable and none of them are quite..... Right. 

What did you do?

Where did you get the cable?

Any modifications?

D_Mac

I notice with mine they are either WOT or low idle, there dosnt seem to be much in between. If I go really really really really slow moving it I can find the sweet spot. @ebinmaine... ummm no cans of red paint laying around to paint that trailer with? Any color would be an improvement on that green !

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1