Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

OldWorkHorse

@ebinmaine hey thanks again for the helping hand! Once muffler is fixed and paint touched up,, I can add a horse to the completed list and hunt for my next project.... always have to have 2 going at a time! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

OldWorkHorse

Started with going down to see @ebinmaine Eric, to fix some leaking rear seals and finished off with re painting the B-80s muffler since VHT yellow 1200° header paint don't like doing its job went with the old faithful rustoleum high temp grill paint. See how this holds up!

20210606_164444.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Wheel Horse 3D
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Like the special shape hole in the bench! 

You'd think EB has pulled a hub or 2! I'm savin that little trick! 

• Like 3

8ntruck

I sharpened the blades on my 42" SD deck today.  Scraped the grass out and shot some grease in the spindles while it was off of the tractor, too.  Last time I mowed, I was unimpressed with the quality of the cut.  Sharp blades made a world of difference!  They still had a little trouble with the tall, thick grass over the drain field.  Almost seemed like I was loosing blade speed under the heavier load.

The blades are the double D style, 13 1/2 inches long.  They don't seem to overlap when the center and side blades are parallel when width wise in the deck.  That does not seem right?  The cutting edges of these blades have been sharpened back close to 1/4 inch.  I need to start shopping for a new set.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

You'd think EB has pulled a hub or 2! I'm savin that little trick! 

Normally I pull the hubs using the puller while the transmission is laying on the ground flat.

Certainly can be done while they are on the tractor as well. Given that scenario I will often use a jack stand as a stabilizer.

Certainly was a heck of a lot easier with @OldWorkHorse Steve helping to use his ballast and muscle combined with my own.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Normally I pull the hubs using the puller while the transmission is laying on the ground flat.

This old Army back likes stuff up off the floor! Lol

• Like 3

Snoopy11

I bought a billet rod for my Duromax engine from ARC Racing (Amundsen Research Corporation), should arrive by Wednesday. This engine should pull over 40 hp... when I finish it...

I also bought 2 axle oil seals tagged 1232 for my L-157... as the ones I used originally are very poor quality (I bought them off of fleabay... so I didn't expect very much... and didn't GET very much...). I personally bought these here from vendor Wheel Horse Parts and More: https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/1323-1263-100863-oil-seal/

Please comment on these seals if you have used them before and if they work good on the L-157!!!

At this time, I am just working on axle seals... I might buy a better seal for the input shaft later... (it isn't leaking now... but I don't really trust fleabay parts anymore so...).

Thanks guys!

Don

• Like 2

johnnymag3

Going to install an Auxiliary Tank and Frame on one of my Horses... Guy has an Original setup from Wheel Horse, needs soap and water, but complete, and all there. What do you think I should pay for said item ?

Thanks, John   :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Auxiliary Tank

Got any pics?

• Like 1

Lee1977
19 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

@ebinmaine hey thanks again for the helping hand! Once muffler is fixed and paint touched up,, I can add a horse to the completed list and hunt for my next project.... always have to have 2 going at a time! 

What did you use to get Eric moving?  Cattle Prod, food hanging of a stick just out of reach. Not being there nothing we have tried can get the old boy moving.

• Haha 3

johnnymag3
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Got any pics?

I only have the picture he posted in the CL Hudson Valley. I can try to get a picture of a picture later and post...Its complete. and tank is perfect also...Just very dusty.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

What did you use to get Eric moving?  Cattle Prod, food hanging of a stick just out of reach. Not being there nothing we have tried can get the old boy moving.

It was the food...

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

OldWorkHorse
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

A swift kick in the rear seems to do the job! :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

Orbie

Change all oils in my 72 commando to day all oil was clear no water in the transmission

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ifixoldjunk
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Had our friend @OldWorkHorse Steve around today so I could give him a hand changing the rear wheel seals on his Ariel's Flowah Powah tractor. 

He'd been pouring the Liquid Wrench spray to it for a couple weeks or more and the seals were pretty much not there so plenty of lube was getting in the hub.  

I was pleasantly surprised to have both hubs fly right off using my "spare hub as a puller" method I picked up from around here somewhere.  

Even better... He also gave me a hand pulling both hubs from a spare 8 speed that may end up in the C-160 Tecumseh engine tractor or as needed for whatever horse. 

Also from the 3 speed that I'll be rebuilding for Trina's Military Tribute Tractor. 

I'd been soaking the 8 speed for at least a year.

Trina started spraying the 3 speed hubs a few weeks ago.  

All four came off!!

Certainly took more effort than the ones on Steve's but it was great to see them slide out without serious issue. 

Here is the 8 speed on the bench, 3 speed on the floor, with the puller next to it. 

IMG_20210606_133926.jpg.439597f19b18573414451074a8093a53.jpg

IMG_20210606_133928.jpg

IMG_20210606_133931.jpg

I’m actually surprised how nice a wheel horse looks purple! Nice job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

I’m actually surprised how nice a wheel horse looks purple! Nice job.

@OldWorkHorse 's significant other is responsible for the color choices.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11

Hey guys!

Just wanted to update anyone interested on the 40 HP Duromax build. I just bought a belt for the engine. Installing is going to be fun, as you guys can imagine... and I have quite a bit of work ahead of me to even get this thing close to running on the tractor... BUT I think I have all the parts I need now!

I have a long road ahead of me with this 40 hp engine. I have to completely tear it down, and rebuild. So... here is the game plan.

• Stainless steel push-rods, but keep the stock cam followers
  • Grinding down exhaust lobe on cam (per ARC Racing's suggestion) [I also did this on my Tillotson stage 4 and it made a mighty difference in performance, but don't ask me the science behind it}.
  • Custom fabricate an air filter adapter using 2-3 inch section of 2.5 inch exhaust pipe welded to the stock air filter metal flange (which I am going to cut and make round so it will look nice).
  • Install a billet rod, hopefully without having to hone the wrist pin section of the rod with my dremel. (The fitment of the wristpin is up for debate whether it needs to be honed, most people saying that it fits just fine without honing). I bought a +.40 rod for this engine because my engine is +.70 in the hole. I haven't decided if I am going to grind down the piston yet...
  • I am going to put a custom header on this engine.
  • I am going to fabricate a top-plate for this engine so that it looks nice (no other purpose for the top plate than to be pretty for my application).
  • I am going to be removing the balance shaft from this engine... as I don't need an extra piece of metal flying around in this engine. (ARC recommends this be done...).

Don

• Like 8

Ifixoldjunk

328B3E5D-6D6D-46AC-81CD-7882B92C0657.jpeg.0fda4edc2be3b332b4a1eaf09ff3f848.jpegD3A32279-7CA7-45CF-BB8E-5B2D50B8A8F6.jpeg.6545ffe049bf3cba5c96e225d8287b70.jpegI just got done giving the old horse a backup light. I figured it needs one for winter so I can see where I’m backing up while plowing 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Removed front tachmatic "swivel pin? Latch pin? Removed mid mount tachmatic.

16231203509364152584824576373534.jpg

16231203818836015744080273015072.jpg

VERY muggy out tonight! Rollin sweat but relatively cool. I can hear a "drip, drip" from the rain gutters as the moist air condenses on the slightly cooler metal roofing. Heat lightning off in the distance.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

rely on mirrors and the crunch when I back into something

I've had many people tell me

"Just keep backin' up til it sounds expensive". 

• Haha 8

Maxwell-8

I just thought about this:

image.png.15c3201f196c1694cd8127804e203a70.png

Parking sensors, we added it to our Suzuki works good. 

Maybe food for thought.

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I just thought about this:

image.png.15c3201f196c1694cd8127804e203a70.png

Parking sensors, we added it to our Suzuki works good. 

Maybe food for thought.

IMHO... anybody who's a commercial truck driver and needs to rely on a parking sensor should not be a commercial truck driver...

But I have to admit they are pretty darn handy in my retail SUV!!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1