Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Gregor
On 3/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, OldWorkHorse said:

Its raining out so cant paint, so started making couple tie rods for the 1257Heavy. 

20210328_172426.jpg

Just ordered some 7/8 hex, and some ball joints  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse
15 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Just ordered some 7/8 hex, and some ball joints  Thanks

No prob! The hex idea came when I couldn't figure out how to hold round stock easily haha. Work smarter not harder!

20210330_173856.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Gregor
On 3/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, OldWorkHorse said:

Its raining out so cant paint, so started making couple tie rods for the 1257Heavy. 

20210328_172426.jpg

I am a little curious as to how yo jigged that up in your drill press, for drilling.

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I am a little curious as to how yo jigged that up in your drill press, for drilling.

“We work all day in the muck and mire, dance a little jig and we stomp by the fire.  Ain’t too much these boots can’t do, might as well kick a little sense into you...”. - Montgomery Gentry

sorry, it sparked my head to remember something!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OldWorkHorse
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

Used 1 of these bolted to drill press table, oh yeah incase you don't already know i drilled out both ends with a 25/64th drill bit so could tap them with 7/16x20 thred. 

91hCB3DTGUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1

Gregor

While I do like the look of the hex, I got to thinking about how I was going to cut 7/8" steel hex, and suddenly, my arm got really tired. I already had these materials ordered, and on hand, so I made these up for the 656.

1418247531_20210401_070300(2).jpg.ef0f0e1f466960153cfafe4c6d716648.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Gregor said:

While I do like the look of the hex, I got to thinking about how I was going to cut 7/8" steel hex, and suddenly, my arm got really tired. I already had these materials ordered, and on hand, so I made these up for the 656.

Hand saw?  Ouch!  If you ever get the chance to pick up a Milwaukee metal cutting saw, oh man are they a game changer!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@OldWorkHorse , just thought I would try this contact option out , thanks to  pullstart ! he was right on detailing the send to note , rather than hope you see it . any other help you might need on improvements , just ask , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@OldWorkHorse , just thought I would try this contact option out , thanks to  pullstart ! he was right on detailing the send to note , rather than hope you see it . any other help you might need on improvements , just ask , pete

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Hand saw?  Ouch!  If you ever get the chance to pick up a Milwaukee metal cutting saw, oh man are they a game changer!

Well that's different. I have a band saw but this could be somthing. 🤔

• Like 1

peter lena

@ERICF, agree with you and others on the brake band  silicone sealant , hardest part of that swap is getting the new material to take a " SET " on that band, so your initial cutting of it must be precise . because there is little speed involved the material will almost hold itself in place , did a similar swap  using conveyor belt material and silicone, no problems, pete

peter lena

@gregor, been using heim joints for years , did a similar 3/8 x 24 fine threaded rod to make up a quick steering fix years ago , also using it as a road test on an idea. it never failed or acted up in any way, that trial inspired me to heim joint a number of other swivel attachment points . pete

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Well that's different. I have a band saw but this could be somthing. 🤔

it’s not just something... it’s amazing!

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

BTW @pullstartKevin how did the table turn out do you have any pictures of the finished product?

pfrederi
45 minutes ago, Gregor said:

1418247531_20210401_070300(2).jpg.ef0f0e1f466960153cfafe4c6d716648.jpg

This is what I use for making new ones.  I know some people use heim joints.  My theory is the original ball joints have lasted 40-50 years.  These are better sealed and should last just as long.  Don't see the need for the heims...

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

BTW @pullstartKevin how did the table turn out do you have any pictures of the finished product?

this is the best I have Randy

Gregor
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Don't see the need for the heims...

I'm pretty sure these will outlast me. All these tractors have to do, is haul my lard butt around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gregor

@pullstartI didn't read the entire thread, and you probably mentioned it somewhere, but do you know what the base weighed in the end?

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, Gregor said:

@pullstartI didn't read the entire thread, and you probably mentioned it somewhere, but do you know what the base weighed in the end?

It might be mentioned as well, but it was 3/8” crs plate.  I think I figured it around 600 lbs.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

I tried, and tried, and tried, and tried... every trick in the book, SHORT OF using Ether/Starting Fluid to get them new back tires to seat on the rims.

So I took them to a tire shop.  They used the 'cannon' on them and couldn't do it either!  They tried for about 15 minutes.  AND they f'd up the paint on one of the wheels.  At least they didn't charge me for trying.

So now what?  Put in some tubes?  I really don't want to do that.

I'm gonna wait until the weather is hot and sticky and let them bake in the Sun (I don't NEED them right away, the old ones are still on and holding air) to soften them up some.  Maybe pop one side off the rim and wedge some 2x4 blocks to spread them and let them cook in the sun for a while.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I tried, and tried, and tried, and tried... every trick in the book, SHORT OF using Ether/Starting Fluid to get them new back tires to seat on the rims.

So I took them to a tire shop.  They used the 'cannon' on them and couldn't do it either!  They tried for about 15 minutes.  AND they f'd up the paint on one of the wheels.  At least they didn't charge me for trying.

So now what?  Put in some tubes?  I really don't want to do that.

I'm gonna wait until the weather is hot and sticky and let them bake in the Sun (I don't NEED them right away, the old ones are still on and holding air) to soften them up some.  Maybe pop one side off the rim and wedge some 2x4 blocks to spread them and let them cook in the sun for a while.

Did you do the wrap around the tire with a ratchet strap trick?

Curious to know why you don't want to use tubes. in the old days they got a bad rap because people did not install them correctly and then blamed the item.

I put tubes in every new installation now.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
33 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Did you do the wrap around the tire with a ratchet strap trick?

Curious to know why you don't want to use tubes. in the old days they got a bad rap because people did not install them correctly and then blamed the item.

I put tubes in every new installation now.

Yeah, every trick.  Even put a bicycle inner tube around the open part on one side and blew that up to try and seal it.

The ratchet strap squeezed the center of the tire all right, but didn't spread the sidewalls one little bit.  In fact, it made the gap BIGGER!

I even rigged up a small garbage can with an inverted bucket inside.  The garbage can to seal against the tire, the bucket to seal the inner part of the rim.  With wet towels over the rims to try and seal the air, then knelt and balanced my weight on top to try and seal the top bead.  It STARTED to work... I felt a rise, but couldn't get enough of a seal to overcome the stiffness of the sidewalls.

These tires ARE pretty stiff, Carlisle Turf Master 4 ply.

No tubes because I'm cheap.  I'll have to spend about $25 a tube for ones of dubious quality.  But I am beginning to think in that direction.

I can buy a whole front tire for that amount!

image.png.8e663aab614932b3d940a22a21657f9e.png

[edit:  AND, if I should get a puncture, I can plug that in about 5 minutes with a tubeless.  If a tube I would have to break the bead, pull the tube, patch the tube, reinstall, put the bead back...  LOTS more work to 'fix-a-flat'!]

Before I commit to tubes being the 'only way', I'm going to take one bead off the rim, and prop some wood blocks all around to spread the beads and let them sit like that for a week or so in the Sun (if we get enough Sun!) hoping that they will hold the spread position long enough for me to get them back on the rim and aired up.

I'm really hesitant to try the ether... I think that if the bead blaster cannon did not work, neither will the ether.  And I'm sure that the ether will REALLY F up that paint job worse than the tire monkeys did.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Oldskool

Do you have a heat gun to point into the tire while the bead is propped up. That should heat it up enough.

Jeff-C175
16 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Do you have a heat gun

I've got a 'homeowner' grade AND an industrial grade.  I was gonna try that actually, prop the tire up with the wood blocks, get it good and hot and see what happens.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1