Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

TJ5208

Okay 

ohiofarmer

Of all the troubles I had plowing snow changing plows and mounting tires three or four times, I finally might have scraped this storm for the last time. this morning, the underlying frozen slush finally started to peel off. All that changing from one tractor to another three or four times was not necessary as the predator fouled a plug and i should have remained calm and thought about and repaired that before getting out another tractor to finish the job.

95% of the time, i plowed with a straight blade using the snow depth to just peel a bit off the high side to move the heavy drifts away from the buildings. the firestone ATV 4 plys worked fantastic with no chains. I cut the edges from drifts 24 inches at least plus  i was able to clean the leftovers away by using the hand lever and not letting it go so far as hitting the tires

I used to laugh at ppl using garden tractors to move snow when i had the Bobcat 853 stored here, but no longer. i will put some piccs of the tires and stuff on here ASAP, but other things are jumpin with the rental properties....

The 520 might just be the main plow tractor if i can make a plow frame length extender....The little 420 engine has plenty of oomphf to power the transmission.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
24 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Of all the troubles I had plowing snow changing plows and mounting tires three or four times, I finally might have scraped this storm for the last time. this morning, the underlying frozen slush finally started to peel off. All that changing from one tractor to another three or four times was not necessary as the predator fouled a plug and i should have remained calm and thought about and repaired that before getting out another tractor to finish the job.

95% of the time, i plowed with a straight blade using the snow depth to just peel a bit off the high side to move the heavy drifts away from the buildings. the firestone ATV 4 plys worked fantastic with no chains. I cut the edges from drifts 24 inches at least plus  i was able to clean the leftovers away by using the hand lever and not letting it go so far as hitting the tires

I used to laugh at ppl using garden tractors to move snow when i had the Bobcat 853 stored here, but no longer. i will put some piccs of the tires and stuff on here ASAP, but other things are jumpin with the rental properties....

The 520 might just be the main plow tractor if i can make a plow frame length extender....The little 420 engine has plenty of oomphf to power the transmission.

My compact will tackle anything the weatherman offers but it's big, long and will destroy any vehicle with a quick "Opps!". Not nimble and just too dangerous to get as close to things as I can with my little 8HP WH.  But for years my little C-85 has also not really up to the task.  Could open up the drive but quickly ran out of what's needed as the snow piled to the sides and just couldn't touch them, until I added weights and roller chains!  Very different beast now.  Took both the weights and roller chains on top of filled rears and 2-links but now this little 8 HP is impressive!  I have always tried to catch the storm at each 6" but I'm sure I can wait longer now!  Weight and traction!  Can't do much without them!

ohiofarmer
7 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

My compact will tackle anything the weatherman offers but it's big, long and will destroy any vehicle with a quick "Opps!". Not nimble and just too dangerous to get as close to things as I can with my little 8HP WH.  But for years my little C-85 has also not really up to the task.  Could open up the drive but quickly ran out of what's needed as the snow piled to the sides and just couldn't touch them, until I added weights and roller chains!  Very different beast now.  Took both the weights and roller chains on top of filled rears and 2-links but now this little 8 HP is impressive!  I have always tried to catch the storm at each 6" but I'm sure I can wait longer now!  Weight and traction!  Can't do much without them!

I guess the difference is that the way I was plowing this 8 inch snowfall is to just make a cut through the center of the driveway and when I find a place the wind cuts it down shallow is just keep stacking the drifts  away from the deep stuff. That way the plowing action is just cutting fresh snow and not packing it to the outside of the driveway. Only the leeward side. I think what got me by was the Eaton transmission is heavy and i did not really put much side load on the front end.

If we get repeated drifting or horrible snows, the Bobcat is three miles away in a heated building 

Next year I will have weights on the back and rollers on the front as we have old roller chains around here somewhere. Anyway, the ATV tires pushed whatever the blade would hold over a base of frozen slush and just dig into the snow like crazy.

I like the idea of an ever smaller short frame as i have a 1075 roller that was free and the transmission is fine . Power is a 6.5 predator. Also have a second front blade that came with another tractor. Predator engines are for nasty times just because no battery required to start them.     Thanks,Dennis for that idea

We can get some real nasty storms once in a blue moon. The state road I live on has needed huge gravel pit payloaders to move the stuff on occasion.

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

I guess the difference is that the way I was plowing this 8 inch snowfall is to just make a cut through the center of the driveway and when I find a place the wind cuts it down shallow is just keep stacking the drifts  away from the deep stuff. That way the plowing action is just cutting fresh snow and not packing it to the outside of the driveway. Only the leeward side. I think what got me by was the Eaton transmission is heavy and i did not really put much side load on the front end.

If we get repeated drifting or horrible snows, the Bobcat is three miles away in a heated building 

Next year I will have weights on the back and rollers on the front as we have old roller chains around here somewhere. Anyway, the ATV tires pushed whatever the blade would hold over a base of frozen slush and just dig into the snow like crazy.

I like the idea of an ever smaller short frame as i have a 1075 roller that was free and the transmission is fine . Power is a 6.5 predator. Also have a second front blade that came with another tractor. Predator engines are for nasty times just because no battery required to start them.     Thanks,Dennis for that idea

We can get some real nasty storms once in a blue moon. The state road I live on has needed huge gravel pit payloaders to move the stuff on occasion.

I remember 2 back to back 24"ers that all but covered the top of my cab on my PU.  Compact would do it with the blower or FEL but the FEL would be time consuming.  No way the WH would be any value with even 24".  Maybe now 12".  Might find out this season.

I major snow storm 12" or so still takes me a full day to open up and get to all the buildings and sheds.  Oh, I could get out or to the mailbox in minutes but then...

Tractorhead

What have i done for my Wheelhorse today?

- I just stroked it tenderly today.

This year we don‘t have so much Snow at once, just 2 times about 6-8“ a Day, but i tried a test.

Because the lack of fitting chains, i do an old Offroader trick on sand and mud

I dropped the Air down to 0,3 Bar, in the Wheels ( on brand new tires they be flexible enough to work) what seems to work out fine.

even on icy underground or when i pushed the Snow in the fields,

i didn‘t need chains, sure, it was slippery but i need just a bit of a run up and it worked out well for me.

And it‘s also just a 6HP Engine.

i have no comparsion yet with 12“ or above Snow, but i hope next year again.

As a secret weapon i plan a Snowblower for next year and a lightweight cabin - but this is still under construction for next year.

and maybe i will look for chains they fit

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

KrazeyOlDave

CNC programmed my hydraulic pump cage today. No new snow here in Marshall either, so nothing else to do.

9233E110-4F65-4E4F-9D86-1873A1273569.jpeg

8390C5A9-573F-45FF-B809-E8C1570C947F.jpeg

• Like 6

WVHillbilly520H
On 2/20/2021 at 11:15 PM, cschannuth said:

I built a front bumper and weight rack similar to the one I have on my 606 today. I was so proud of myself for figuring out exactly how far outfront the weight needed to be to still allow the hood to open. However, when I went to install my bumper I forgot that the big block engine uses a J bolt a long side of the frame so I had to notch my new creation. It wasn’t that big a deal but it did aggravate me, ha ha.  

43E247E1-A60B-4B28-AB56-745EEF5F31E9.jpeg.1cbd4a5a921c3781b8dd850bf5d60b2d.jpeg7CC30A93-F05B-433B-899D-14EFA9DC6054.jpeg.d825fd166e8d8e92734fc3494e9602de.jpeg

I also drilled a hole in the cross brace so that I can add a pin to drop between the plow frame rails to illuminate side to side blade deflection. I still need to finish that piece of it.

So glad I have helped inspire you since our first collaboration with the weight/bumper/ and now plow antisway bar :handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Quite a while ago I installed one of @wheelhorseman receiver hitches on my 2005. I absolutely love it and it was an easy decision to get another one for my 76. The newer hitches are slightly different in that they utilize flange bolts Coming up from underneath rather than carriage bolts and nuts to hold the hitch on the angle brackets. That makes it a bit easier to remove the hitch leaving the angles bolted to the axle and allowing the slot hitch to go back on. I think a nice cosmetic touch is the addition of the decals on the square tubes on the later style. These hitches are extremely well thought out and built. :)

2005 Classic GT

1420376872_Hitch2005.jpg.34a6a46a8845ea6477c312f2c5fb07d3.jpg

1976 B-160

1012162622_Hitch1976.jpg.0c2d82e8c196f7117ba0a49cb041ed95.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

wheelhorseman
28 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Quite a while ago I installed one of @wheelhorseman receiver hitches on my 2005. I absolutely love it and it was an easy decision to get another one for my 76. The newer hitches are slightly different in that they utilize flange bolts Coming up from underneath rather than carriage bolts and nuts to hold the hitch on the angle brackets. That makes it a bit easier to remove the hitch leaving the angles bolted to the axle and allowing the slot hitch to go back on. I think a nice cosmetic touch is the addition of the decals on the square tubes on the later style. These hitches are extremely well thought out and built. :)

2005 Classic GT

1420376872_Hitch2005.jpg.34a6a46a8845ea6477c312f2c5fb07d3.jpg

1976 B-160

1012162622_Hitch1976.jpg.0c2d82e8c196f7117ba0a49cb041ed95.jpg

Thanks Bob and good pictures!!

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Roger R said:

(NO new holes drilled in the 53 year old sheet metal)

Atta boy Rog! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Gregor

When I click on the above link, wheelhorsepartsandmore....I don't get anything about garden tractors.

• Confused 1

peter lena

MICHIGANCO, THAT KEY LOOKS WHIPPED TO ME ,  I would also use a bottom tap thread tool to verify and clean up those threads , with penetrating oil , if there is rust in there it easily could have prevented the strong setting of the allen set screw, pete  

wheelhorseman
16 minutes ago, Gregor said:

When I click on the above link, wheelhorsepartsandmore....I don't get anything about garden tractors.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Like 1

Gregor
1 minute ago, wheelhorseman said:

wheelhorsepartsandmore.com

Yeah. Found the site, ordered a boot. But that link does not work for me.

• Like 1

wheelhorseman
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

Yeah. Found the site, ordered a boot. But that link does not work for me.

More than likely that was our old website we just launched a new one six weeks ago so I’m sure that’s why it does not work

• Like 1

WHX??

Try taking it off your signature and then putting it back on Lowell.  I was gonna mention to you that it doesn't work a couple weeks ago.... I forgot..:hide:

wheelhorseman

Ok thanks Jim it should work now!

Jhook

Does this weight look familiar to anyone? Does it belong to a garden tractor? I have the opportunity to grab a set of 2 about 25 lbs each off a buddy of mine. I believe they are suitcase style weights but not sure if the actually belong on a tractor or something else. 

Screenshot_20210223-184747_Messages.jpg

WHX??
13 minutes ago, wheelhorseman said:

Ok thanks Jim it should work now!

Yep... it does :handgestures-thumbupright:

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Does this weight look familiar to anyone? Does it belong to a garden tractor? I have the opportunity to grab a set of 2 about 25 lbs each off a buddy of mine. I believe they are suitcase style weights but not sure if the actually belong on a tractor or something else. 

Screenshot_20210223-184747_Messages.jpg

Weights is weights....figure out how to mount them who cares where they came from...

• Like 5

Jhook
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Weights is weights....figure out how to mount them who cares where they came from...

I guess that means they look good enough to use 😂 i may blast them red and hopefully be able to mount them to this hitch somehow. I could probably go without anymore weight seeing as i already have loaded ags and 50lb wheel weights but i think they might look pretty nice on there 

Screenshot_20210223-190141_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2