Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??

I've got a set you can have for free @bunson70. They would need tubes but are useable yet .... PM me if interested.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

rjg854

What's the size? 

WHX??

16x5.5 -8s I would guess.

• Like 1

dells68

I tried to surface the K181 head with some 220 wet or dry to remove some of the scaring caused by a mechanic with really rough paper 60 or 80 grit!  Got a lot of it out, but I'd have to remove too much material to remove it all.  I'm going to give it a try before I look for another head.  Might try to scrap a little more carbon from the combustion chamber with a razor - dissolved all I could with oven cleaner - afraid to leave it on too long.

IMG_7001.JPG

• Like 4

WHX??

Try some Berrymans carb cleaner on it Dells that might help take the carbon off . Dump some in a shallow scrap baking pan from the missus and set it in if it don't fit in the can. As far as the gouges go yer on your own... look pretty deep. Maybe know a machine shop that could  surface grind it!? Then some glassing? Might end up with a high compression head which means you might have to get into the pulling business! :lol:

"Nother tip Dells is a Dremel with a small wire wheel gets in those tight spots. While you got the Dremel out some porting and polishing.... whoops back in the pulling business! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

dells68

Yup, they are pretty deep.  I managed to get quite a bit out with 220 wet or dry on a piece of flat glass I have from the back window of a 52 Ford pickup.  I've used it before and had good luck getting a flat surface.  I'm afraid of removing too much, as I don't want to get into valve clearance issues.  I'd be all about raising the compression if I knew I had enough clearance:auto-driving:.

• Like 1

WHX??

Time to bust out the calipers and crunch some numbers then Dells. I think you would be ok .... with some high RPM  puller valve springs ......LOL here we go again! 

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, dells68 said:

Yup, they are pretty deep.  I managed to get quite a bit out with 220 wet or dry on a piece of flat glass I have from the back window of a 52 Ford pickup.  I've used it before and had good luck getting a flat surface.  I'm afraid of removing too much, as I don't want to get into valve clearance issues.  I'd be all about raising the compression if I knew I had enough clearance:auto-driving:.

7 hours ago, WHX14 said:

with some high RPM  puller valve springs

Dells I can't remember what it's called but what about picking up a bit of the stuff engine builders use to physically check the valve clearance in a hand turned engine?

Put a glob of it in the head, bolt it on, spin the engine, carefully pull it back apart and use a micrometer to measure the squeezed part. 

Then use the tight springs to ensure stuff stays where it oughtta.

I think you'll find there's some guys that swear by putting sealer on a head gasket and others that would never do it... which tells me you should be able to seal those gouges up without an issue.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Image result for plastigauge 

Image result for plastigauge

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks guys.  I had thought about using a speck of Emory's playdough to make sure I still have some valve clearance.  Tiny speck on each valve and see how much it is compressed between the valves and head when the engine is rotated.  Use what you've got!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Thanks guys.  I had thought about using a speck of Emory's playdough to make sure I still have some valve clearance.  Tiny speck on each valve and see how much it is compressed between the valves and head when the engine is rotated.  Use what you've got!

Maybe if I could add to that a bit. If you put a light spray of oil on the piston and valve so that the play dough doesn't stick to either one?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

That's what I used when I built the little SBC in my Malibu, and it did NOT stick to any of the clean parts...

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 5

Sarge

Been using simple Play-doh for years for checking valve clearances - it's simple, cheap and just plain works. A shot of Fluid Film will prevent it sticking, btw...

You can remove a fair amount off those heads, but the trick or question is this - how much did someone remove already ? I know somewhere there is a height measurement on the various Kohler K series heads - it's the total thickness to either top of fins or the spark plug seat, can't remember right now but that is the basis for how much can be removed before the head is scrap or a thicker gasket is needed.

A copper head gasket is always another option, although a good used head would be cheaper.

Sarge

• Like 2

chip61

Adjuster has been frozen on shaft for Motion Control lever for quite a while on my C160. Finally moved it home last weekend so I could work on it when I had a few free minutes. It was stuck pretty tight, but I was finally able to move it a little at a time until I could get it to turn a full revolution. It's tighter than I like, but it does move now so hopefully I can use it and maybe it will free up a little more. Luckily the tab isn't broken-someone took the bolt out years ago and the whole shaft was turning. Now to replace the ammeter and chase a couple electrical gremlins. I hope to get all the little issues resolved so I can use it to cut grass this summer. I like the 416H but I like this one better!

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Cool setup there for sure My son picked up a "home built" generator with his JackRabbit.  Once we have the tractor running, I want to test it and do some organization of the external box, gauge, and wiring.  I'm hoping that my local expert @Achto will be able to guide us through this process.  I can see a lot of possibilities with it....:dance:  

• Like 5

ebinmaine

@PeacemakerJack.... how about some pictures of that generator?? Maybe I missed them...

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I'll get some from my phone--I'm at the computer now.  It was marketed as a factory setup but I knew as soon as I saw pics it wasn't.  I was initially disapointed but when I realized that it was a 5KW unit and it didn't matter how much I use it, I'm not wearing out a rare piece--I realized it likely was a good find.  It isn't pretty right now but I'm confident that we can make a nice looking, functional piece out of it...One of my local cirle buddies told me that I shoul use it at plow days for some front end weight:auto-layrubber::ROTF:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

plow days for some front end weight

HAHAHAHAHA 

So you thought you had a generator that had some value. Then you did not have a generator that had some value. Then you're thinking you had a generator that you could use without worrying about it. Then you're thinking that you had a generator that you could use without worrying about it but might not work anyway. But then somebody realizes the thing is so heavy that it would be better than a lot of front end weights anyhow.

Sounds like you won.......    :text-bravo:

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

You have an amazing way with words Eric:D!

4ECB2F6A-5F8D-4301-B4A6-377313333259.jpeg.27576ab8eb71c9b8c9c625e48dc390e1.jpeg

It’s a 5KW generator made by WINPOWER. I’m guessing by looking at it that it is more than 30 years old.

440AAFFE-0B98-4FA4-8371-DEB6599708C3.jpeg.72b6b91674184556cc7c4127757dbb22.jpeg

Not pictured is long pieces of angle iron that bolt to the frame to hold it on.  I would like to fabricate a hitch though that works with the front attach-a-matic with a support strut like the factory setup. 

DD2C628A-57D6-4853-A1AB-F77CCBB2FCF5.jpeg.1944a06c60f08ca73a1d17438b2393b2.jpeg

It has a residential exterior  Square D box.  I want to reorganize all the exterior wiring and make it durable and streamlined...

048C853C-3721-44AC-8746-7EFA270CBE26.jpeg.188684e99ed7ff7921712b60f06243a4.jpeg

I’m open to thoughts and ideas from the electrician’s here to make it the best, convenient setup possible since I’m not bound to keep it original...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

ACman
On 1/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, WHX14 said:

Worked on the K301 a little, just something about a fresh piston in a fresh bore. Waiting on an exhaust valve to show up that I should have ordered weeks ago!

20180117_125912[1].jpg

Jim maybe the problem is your trying to use Delta parts on a Kohler ... :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

WHX??
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

One of my local cirle buddies told me that I should use it at plow  fishing days for some front end boat anchor weight

38 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

that it is more than 30 100 years old.

:ychain: Sorry Josh ...couldn't resist!

Actually I do see some possibilities .... a bracket something  like these,  clean it up, figure out what those gator clips might be for, some rewiring, Biggest problem might be getting that pulley off for internal work &  to get it spinning at the correct rpm per Dan's specifications. I'd  take a crack at you get that pulley off. Any nameplate for research on it?

20151114_180247 (2).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

:ychain: Sorry Josh ...couldn't resist!

Actually I do see some possibilities .... a bracket something  like these,  clean it up, figure out what those gator clips might be for, some rewiring, Biggest problem might be getting that pulley off for internal work &  to get it spinning at the correct rpm per Dan's specifications. I'd  take a crack at you get that pulley off. Any nameplate for research on it?

20151114_180247 (2).jpg

I'm on my phone which only has about a two and a half inch wide screen on it so I can't really see those pictures very well until later on today. But I was kind of thinking it was a lot more than 30 years old myself. Not that I'm any kind of an expert on generators. Or alternators. Nope. Not at all. Not even close.

• Like 2

Achto

A good clean up, an addition of some exterior out let boxes ( instead of loose cord hanging out of the bottom ), get your mounting figured out. It already has a volt meter, but I would also like to see a frequency meter on it.

With these changes I think you'll have a right nice set up Josh 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Dan for weighing in here!  This is your “current” (pun intended) livelihood after all!  This is a small potatoes piece compared to the monsters that you are used to dealing with on a daily basis.  I can’t wait to brainstorm on this piece with you and I’ll be sure to do a thread elsewhere to follow the progress... 

regarding age—If I can get the necessary parts to keep it going—I’d rather have something old and reliable than something new that will need to be thrown away in about 5-7 years!:computer:

If I can’t get parts—I have about a 120# front end weight for plowing!:stupid:

• Like 3