Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

SylvanLakeWH

@pullstart I would like to ask Santa for one of those mugs...! 

Where might his elves locate one?

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

@pullstart I would like to ask Santa for one of those mugs...! 

Where might his elves locate one?

We bought it from @HorseFixer at Scott’s meet and greet / plow day a while back.  I think Duke’s wife was making them?  Mrs. Pullstart got a coffee mug and I got that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

953 nut

Looks like your horse head hood badge is laying down on the job.              :ychain:

4FDBDE1A-F39E-4383-9135-D5EC77FA4D08.jpeg

• Haha 3

peter lena

LANE RANGER , good going on that blower pick up, take advantage of its condition and  thoroughly lubricate every moving frictional point. especially stay after the gear drive/ chain to auger area, and related chain tension. good picture of the belt pulley belt tension frame, lubricate every movement point for belt drive smoothness. also use a polymer snow spray on it to increase its function. i use a SERATED   washer on the chain adjustment point to hold its tension. pete

• Excellent 1

mr biggs
On 12/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, ebinmaine said:

Yepp....

Single tires. Chains. LOTS of weight.

What in theeee world size is that plow???

It's a 72" plow it started out as a 54" but of course I had to make it great again LOL works good because my driveway is 350 ft and I run full speed with the plow at an angle turn around and come back really keeps the clean path 

IMG_20191103_141806.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

LANE RANGER , good going on that blower pick up, take advantage of its condition and  thoroughly lubricate every moving frictional point. especially stay after the gear drive/ chain to auger area, and related chain tension. good picture of the belt pulley belt tension frame, lubricate every movement point for belt drive smoothness. also use a polymer snow spray on it to increase its function. i use a SERATED   washer on the chain adjustment point to hold its tension. pete

Peter:   I  used chain lube on everything I could find.   Hooked up the lift assist spring today on the flag.   I had the old version and the new version lift flag with the spring.   I use the lift assist spring on my tiller and I think it is heavier thatn the snowblower.    When putting on the lift assist spring I has to use narrow wall washers to allow the eyebolt to clear the lift flag hole.

All set now and she runs pretty powerful with the 14 horse Kohler Magnum as compared to my Lawn Ranger with 32 inch blower and a 6 HP Tecumseh.

This will be my first winter using a full sized 42 inch snowblower on a wheel horse tractor.  The bog snowblower clears my 314 front hitch also (which I was thinking I might have to remove to fit the blower on).

056.JPG

059.JPG

061.JPG

064.JPG

065.JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

070.JPG

071.JPG

051.JPG

050.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

peter lena

good talking lane, this what i did for blower lift assist , also added the chute direction smooth knob for mitten use, scary to think that we are trying to make things better and easier , i would like to swap/ exchange other  improvements with you, if you would like just send me a " what are you doing about this "  , have a good holiday , pete

• Like 1

Pullstart
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Looks like your horse head hood badge is laying down on the job.              :ychain:

I noticed that on my ride home, I’ll have to look into that some day!  Maybe!  

• Haha 1

Tach-a-matic

Moved the rod of the plow trip springs into the top hole because it was a little too flexy in 2nd from the top.  Would love a 1-3" snow event to test her out.   

IMG-1924.jpg

And then installed a new head gasket with the bolts torqued to 20ft-lb, and in proper sequence, of course

IMG-1922.jpg

• Like 4

cleat
4 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Peter:   I  used chain lube on everything I could find.   Hooked up the lift assist spring today on the flag.   I had the old version and the new version lift flag with the spring.   I use the lift assist spring on my tiller and I think it is heavier thatn the snowblower.    When putting on the lift assist spring I has to use narrow wall washers to allow the eyebolt to clear the lift flag hole.

All set now and she runs pretty powerful with the 14 horse Kohler Magnum as compared to my Lawn Ranger with 32 inch blower and a 6 HP Tecumseh.

This will be my first winter using a full sized 42 inch snowblower on a wheel horse tractor.  The bog snowblower clears my 314 front hitch also (which I was thinking I might have to remove to fit the blower on).

071.JPG

You can likely use the side plates on that blower as well to gain a bit more width.

I would think that 14 HP would still drive it.

Good looking setup.

• Thanks 1

Lane Ranger
58 minutes ago, cleat said:

You can likely use the side plates on that blower as well to gain a bit more width.

Good looking setup.

I just set the side plates aside and wanted to see how it does this winter without them on first.

58 minutes ago, cleat said:

The Tuul Crib
20 hours ago, pullstart said:

I replaced the S/G belt, cleaned the carb, changed fluids and what better time to take a ride in the moonlight!

8255C6D3-88BC-4461-85A0-356E50C601FB.jpeg

2C847DD2-9C7E-4FF8-B806-A7B8592E2DEC.jpeg

6CE0F48B-84CC-41D3-9921-703B5C72CFFD.jpeg

B4FA8A27-D8F3-4010-A849-C9C27AB1B2EA.jpeg

Nice mug! I want one too! But is it ok to 

drink and ride? Ah  yeah!!! Fill mine with a Black and Tan!!

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

I guess it‘s allright at this horrible speeds... 😂

• Haha 2

MikMacMike
1 hour ago, cleat said:

Good looking setup.

I'm still not sure as to the actual power difference between the magnum and the older k series, but there is a weight difference if you look at specs. I don't ever go by horsepower either.....always torque! Hp is just a timed equation of torque, hence all the combinations of bore n stroke motors not to mention velocity or momentum as with differing weight..." flywheels etc etc"......but i will say this if the magnum your using is anywhere comparable to the 12 horse K301( I use 12 horse only for labeling purpose) and my snowblower is also a single stage, be it a short shoot too, I can send dry fluff at any depth....1 foot up to 5 foot drifts at least 20 feet......5 footers I go in 1st with the blower raised in transport position while running, and as far as I can go before loosing all traction, I back up lower it and go in for the killer blow. Wet stuff is a mind of its own.....full throttle and slow, but make darn sure you haven't any rust in the shoot......it has to slide through completely unhindered...yes some use Teflon, wd-40 etc etc but nothing beats a glossy smooth shoot so as it wont stick and build up eventually clogging. I have had a bit of a idea Ive not tried yet but to hope to sometime is routeing the exhaust is critical areas that the wet snow sticks to.....whether it would work we will have to see, but i think a 14 has to equal or be may be a bit more stout the the k 12 hp and mine is old n need of a rebuild. Up here in the hinter land we get dumped on but good.....I do imagine some of the north easter coasters have some great bits to add also, they also go through tremendous dumps in glacier season!!!

• Excellent 1

MikMacMike
8 hours ago, mr biggs said:

It's a 72" plow it started out as a 54" but of course I had to make it great again LOL works good because my driveway is 350 ft and I run full speed with the plow at an angle turn around and come back really keeps the clean path 

IMG_20191103_141806.jpg

tower this is 747 wh, request landing!    Holy crap....2 driveways at once, I dont think my chevy Tracker would bush that beast! Looks so rad though...........hey outta the way, comin through hahahahahah.

• Haha 3

MikMacMike
21 hours ago, pullstart said:

I replaced the S/G belt, cleaned the carb, changed fluids and what better time to take a ride in the moonlight!

8255C6D3-88BC-4461-85A0-356E50C601FB.jpeg

2C847DD2-9C7E-4FF8-B806-A7B8592E2DEC.jpeg

6CE0F48B-84CC-41D3-9921-703B5C72CFFD.jpeg

B4FA8A27-D8F3-4010-A849-C9C27AB1B2EA.jpeg

Thats a proper sized beer dispenser pullstart! That mug makes me so thirsty Im a fire hazard now, hell with it ....its after 11am Im gona join ya......tomorrows another day right?

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, mr biggs said:

72" plow it started out as a 54" but of course I had to make it great again LOL works good because my driveway is 350 ft and I run full speed with the plow at an angle turn around and come back really keeps the clean path

That's pretty awesome....

I'd be curious to see if you got the tires to heavy singles how it go.

8ntruck

You guys are talking about keeping the snow thrower chutes smooth and slippery.  Anybody consider chrome plating the inside of the chute?

A good copper/nickel/chrome plating job would be smooth, slippery, and durable.  Might need special electrodes to get good coverage on the inside of the chute, though.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

You guys are talking about keeping the snow thrower chutes smooth and slippery.  Anybody consider chrome plating the inside of the chute?

A good copper/nickel/chrome plating job would be smooth, slippery, and durable.  Might need special electrodes to get good coverage on the inside of the chute, though.

Bill I imagine running over a pile of 100 dollar bills and running right up the shoot :ROTF:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lane Ranger
14 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

I'm still not sure as to the actual power difference between the magnum and the older k series, but there is a weight difference if you look at specs. I don't ever go by horsepower either.....always torque! Hp is just a timed equation of torque, hence all the combinations of bore n stroke motors not to mention velocity or momentum as with differing weight..." flywheels etc etc"......but i will say this if the magnum your using is anywhere comparable to the 12 horse K301( I use 12 horse only for labeling purpose) and my snowblower is also a single stage, be it a short shoot too, I can send dry fluff at any depth....1 foot up to 5 foot drifts at least 20 feet......5 footers I go in 1st with the blower raised in transport position while running, and as far as I can go before loosing all traction, I back up lower it and go in for the killer blow. Wet stuff is a mind of its own.....full throttle and slow, but make darn sure you haven't any rust in the shoot......it has to slide through completely unhindered...yes some use Teflon, wd-40 etc etc but nothing beats a glossy smooth shoot so as it wont stick and build up eventually clogging. I have had a bit of a idea Ive not tried yet but to hope to sometime is routeing the exhaust is critical areas that the wet snow sticks to.....whether it would work we will have to see, but i think a 14 has to equal or be may be a bit more stout the the k 12 hp and mine is old n need of a rebuild. Up here in the hinter land we get dumped on but good.....I do imagine some of the north easter coasters have some great bits to add also, they also go through tremendous dumps in glacier season!!!

Thanks Mike!    Very good and detailed information.

The chute on this snowblower I bought is so clean I just could not believe it was a 1985 model!

I will get that one lower spot painted when warm weather returns in 2020!

Looks like we may get some of the snow today and tomorrow in Central Indiana .   We are seven miled north of I-70  which generally is a dividing line between snow and ice during storms from the west.

North and northwest storms into Indiana tend to have the lighter, fluffier snows.

I use Sno-Jet on my chute as a coating.  Used it for years on my Lawn Ranger Snowblower chute.   It was the recommended product the Ariens company recommended for snowblowers (this Wisconsin Company was one of the first snowblower manufacturers).   Sno-Jet works very well when the snow is wet too.

065.JPG

066.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Thanks Mike!    Very good and detailed information.

The chute on this snowblower I bought is so clean I just could not believe it was a 1985 model!

I will get that one lower spot painted when warm weather returns in 2020!

Looks like we may get some of the snow today and tomorrow in Central Indiana .   We are seven miled north of I-70  which generally is a dividing line between snow and ice during storms from the west.

North and northwest storms into Indiana tend to have the lighter, fluffier snows.

I use Sno-Jet on my chute as a coating.  Used it for years on my Lawn Ranger Snowblower chute.   It was the recommended product the Ariens company recommended for snowblowers (this Wisconsin Company was one of the first snowblower manufacturers).   Sno-Jet works very well when the snow is wet too.

065.JPG

066.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

Thats the ticket.

Tractorhead

After few weeks, i try for a Quick service today to be ready for Snow.

Battery is shown 12,5 V before start, Engine fires right up, 

Than i greased all nipples known (Frontaxle and refitted) and adjusted the last time forgotten Brake.

Whilst a short Testdrive, i decide to improve the brake with a selfmade reworked spanner system and a bit stronger spring.

at the one Pedal system, i allway‘s found, that the break reacts to weak.

so i implement a 2 times stronger spring and now the Reartyre are able to go on block, 

but they also can be smoothen engaged.

Lane Ranger
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

After few weeks, i try for a Quick service today to be ready for Snow.

Battery is shown 12,5 V before start, Engine fires right up, 

Than i greased all nipples known (Frontaxle and refitted) and adjusted the last time forgotten Brake.

Whilst a short Testdrive, i decide to improve the brake with a selfmade reworked spanner system and a bit stronger spring.

at the one Pedal system, i allway‘s found, that the break reacts to weak.

so i implement a 2 times stronger spring and now the Reartyre are able to go on block, 

but they also can be smoothen engaged.

A tighter sping will be ok as long as the gears don't grind when shifting the transmission into other gears.   Also niver shift  to third gear on the fly when the tractor is in motion.   Always stop then shift so you dont