Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

johnnymag3
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

No sir. Single speed headlights. :handgestures-thumbup:

If I do say......Lights IS Lights !!!:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 3

Maxwell-8
11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Took a stroll on the Senior today... 

Family snowman building, testing a new crossbow and some handgun lessons too.

E70B6309-61E4-440E-8A9B-7B375D90C455.jpeg

C4E2852E-16EE-4558-9C56-DF20246B2D9D.jpeg

DF3A4DBE-ACFA-4DA1-9B77-D26DF23A6703.jpeg

E9431A02-B89E-47BF-BA53-9B912D1A5153.jpeg

What could a man want/need more?!

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

adsm08

I picked up an engine for the 855 today. It came out of a 72 Raider, and I was really hoping I was going to be able to leave it alone and just bolt it in and adapt the wiring, keep the gear-drive starter and flywheel alternator, but that wasn't in the cards. The starter hits the battery, so I had to swap everything back to the belt-driven S/G setup.

I should have it running tomorrow,

• Like 6

Wheelhorse#1
On 12/31/2020 at 4:16 AM, ebinmaine said:

Are you buying them or making them?

Buying, don’t have a welder or would  make them.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Buying, don’t have a welder or would  make them.

Lowell would fix you right up. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Horses and weapons!!!!  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Randy

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1
On 12/30/2020 at 11:29 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

Ever hear of the 'Baking Soda and Super Glue' trick?

I'm sorry I didn't take any pics of the process but with Super Glue and Gloves I didn't dare touch the camera, and I didn't even think of taking 'before' pics.  I honestly didn't think it would work and there would be nothing to write about.  

Here's a pic of the hydro knob.  You can just make out the repair and I've outlined the area on the right side that was missing.

In actual light without the camera flash, the difference is even less noticeable.

You could paint the knob I suppose but that would look 'too new' for my taste so I went with the black sharpie method described below.

image.png.b6d6e78971d8fdfa358be319221f9928.png

The knob on my hydro lever and on the mule drive both had big chunks out of them.  I had some time on my hands so I decided to try the trick... and was EXTREMELY happy with the results!

Basically what you do is clean the surfaces very well however you like.  I used soft scrub and a teeth brush.  Rinse and dry.

I used the 'runny' super glue but I suspect that the medium would work better and not run all over the place.

Apply the super glue to the area and with a 'coke spoon' or something similar, dump some baking powder on (QUICKLY!).  I used a popsicle stick as a shovel.  The super glue INSTANTLY sets ROCK HARD! and gives off copious NASTY FUMES! (see warnings below)

Do a little at a time, take your time, and keep repeating the process until the missing area is built up past where it needs to be so that you can 'machine' it back down.

For the hydro knob I found that a 'Sharpie' pen barrel was just the right size to stick in the hole and give a form to keep from having to do excess shaping afterward.  BUT!!!!  I didn't think it would... the glue stuck to that pen barrel.  I suggest finding something that it wont stick to or possibly a thin layer of vaseline on the pen barrel.  

After I got the knob built back up I rough shaped it with SHARP files.  When I say this stuff dries ROCK hard, I mean it!  It's harder than the phenolic material.  I don't know why I didn't think of using my Dremel tool with a sanding drum but I bet that would work dandy.

After the rough shaping I put it in my benchtop lathe and used a strip of fine sandpaper to finish it off.

Finally, I found that Black Sharpie bonds to the super glue extremely well.  Paint only the white part of the repair with the sharpie and immediately wipe it down with a paper towel.

The end product is nearly indistinguishable from the phenolic.  You have to know where the repair was in order to see it!

The mule drive knob was more challenging due to the flutes, etc...  I felt like Michael Angelo sculpting a statue.  I used a combination of flat, round, and jewelers files to shape it.

It came out perfect... again, almost indistinguishable from the original.  I intentionally left a few gouges and stuff so it looked like the rest of the knob.  The scratches you see are on the original part of the knob, repair is just below that, looking close at the pic I could probably smooth it out a bit more. The repair starts at about 0530 and ends at about 0800.

image.png.0f35f909f39c6d3f8fe7da1fa047dfcc.png

I used three of the small tubes of super glue from the dollar store (2 tubes in a package) and a couple tablespoons of baking soda.

So material cost was nil.  I did spend about 6 hours total, it's a pretty slow process but IMHO well worth the effort.

Very pleased...  now for the WARNINGS!!!!! 

WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GOGGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, OUTSIDE IF POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The FUMES are VERY NASTY and if they get in your nose or your eyes you will be in a world of hurt. 

You may end up in the emergency room.

I imagine they could permanently damage your sinuses, lungs, and eyes. 

They may even be POISONOUS. (cyanide?  Dunno... maybe)

If you try this, do not take these cautions lightly PLEASE!

Good tip.I tried this a few yrs ago on a plastic gas tank flange.Like you said it set up instantly and very strong to boot .

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheelhorse#1
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Lowell would fix you right up. 

Sounds good.Does he fabricate them ?

I found a pair on Flea Bay for around 50 bucks, after market, Stens. They Look ok but don’t really know if there worth the price.

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Horses and weapons!!!!  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Randy

My FIL purchased a Ruger 40 cal hand gun for home / personal defense.  He’s only shot a shotgun in the past, so it was nice to be the instructor for a bit, helping him learn how to load, safely handle and shoot accurate.  Same with the crossbow.  Though I’ve never shot one, I was able to help him dial in the scope, but we lost a bolt and tore the fletching off the second that came with it.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Sounds good.Does he fabricate them ?

I found a pair on Flea Bay for around 50 bucks, after market, Stens. They Look ok but don’t really know if there worth the price.

That's about right. 

Check wheelhorsepartsandmore.com

Not sure if he makes them but they only sell very good stuff. 

Maybe call them. Great people. 

• Like 3

Wheelhorse#1
Just now, ebinmaine said:

That's about right. 

Check wheelhorsepartsandmore.com

Not sure if he makes them but they only sell very good stuff. 

Maybe call them. Great people. 

ok great ,Thanks

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

My FIL purchased a Ruger 40 cal hand gun for home / personal defense.  He’s only shot a shotgun in the past, so it was nice to be the instructor for a bit, helping him learn how to load, safely handle and shoot accurate.  Same with the crossbow.  Though I’ve never shot one, I was able to help him dial in the scope, but we lost a bolt and tore the fletching off the second that came with it.  

Key to safe use - Lots of practice... loading, unloading and shooting... People think guns protect people, but the people holding the gun protect people... in an actual situation the nerves etc. will change things a lot... calm repetition of something practiced hundreds of times will save the day...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

niece’s first tractor ride.

That picture brought back memories of my childhood. We would take a few old car hoods tied off to a tractor and all the kids in the neighborhood would pile on and go for a ride. About ten kids could ride on an old Buick straight eight hood.   :hide:        Hope no one out there is looking for that hood!            :ychain:

60FBDE41-5630-4831-B5B6-5572D2B65DE9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

adsm08

Kids went to bed early, so I finished it tonight.

I still have to get the Raider exhaust pipes off, but they hit the governor arm, so I gotta figure that out. But I did have it running for a bit.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 7

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That picture brought back memories of my childhood. We would take a few old car hoods tied off to a tractor and all the kids in the neighborhood would pile on and go for a ride. About ten kids could ride on an old Buick straight eight hood.   :hide:        Hope no one out there is looking for that hood!            :ychain:

60FBDE41-5630-4831-B5B6-5572D2B65DE9.jpeg

This one’s from an S10, nowhere near as cool as a Buick straight 8!  I welded a 2” ratchet strap to it for easy on/off from snowmobiles to tractors.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Jhook
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

E70B6309-61E4-440E-8A9B-7B375D90C455.jpeg

C4E2852E-16EE-4558-9C56-DF20246B2D9D.jpeg

DF3A4DBE-ACFA-4DA1-9B77-D26DF23A6703.jpeg

E9431A02-B89E-47BF-BA53-9B912D1A5153.jpeg

Are you able to crate that tractor and ship it to the same location you shipped that trans for me? 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Are you able to crate that tractor and ship it to the same location you shipped that trans for me? 😂 

It’s in the will... this ain’t leaving nowhere!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

TonyToro

I cobbled together some old tire chains for the C-145. Hopefully now it will get some grip for my son. With a little snow coming tomorrow maybe we can test it out.

694C2D04-907A-408A-BAC1-D4D96AFC6C25.jpeg

• Like 6

sparkie333
5 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

No sir. Single speed headlights. :handgestures-thumbup:

Yep just like mine ----I knew it was. just asking. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Anybody ever removed the Wheel Horse emblem on the hood of a 520 H ?...

gonna order some new decals and it will be in the way.

I do want to put it back on after installing decal.

I am asking for help if any of you have any tips.

Thanks,

Tim

20210102_231317.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

KrazeyOlDave
7 hours ago, TonyToro said:

I cobbled together some old tire chains for the C-145. Hopefully now it will get some grip for my son. With a little snow coming tomorrow maybe we can test it out.

694C2D04-907A-408A-BAC1-D4D96AFC6C25.jpeg

I bought a new set for my wife’s JD, I had to cut out 2 rows, insane 

BD6F01AE-B224-4700-940D-DFDBD9F9B27D.jpeg

Edited by KrazeyOlDave
  • Like 3