Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

balconio
6 minutes ago, tom2p said:

as eb would say - don't ask me how I know this ... lol

one seat spring on my 312 was apparently rubbing / pushing on the top of the dipstick (handle) and it apparently caused the end of the dipstick to contact moving parts in the gearbox and ground a small notch in the end of the dipstick 

of course this happened after a recent trans fluid change ... so had to do it again  

the top of the dipstick should sit lower and/or the plate (the seat springs rest on) should be higher ... 

on the topic of oil- i'm a believer in full synthetic for my cars/trucks, but i'm having doubts about using it in these old tractors. i know there's a fair bit of (dis)information on the web, but i read some things about how full synthetics might not be good for older engines in terms of seals and leaks. i'm going to err on the side of believing this and plan to use only dino-oil in the engine/transaxle. i experienced this exact thing in an older AYP lawn tractor, where i did a full synthetic oil change with 10W-30 and it leaked out the rear main seal. the idea is that the detergents are too strong and effective at cleaning out minor sludge which actually helps to seal these older engines which have looser tolerances and old-school rubber seals

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Yep, 30 weight non-detergent oil is the way to go.  Dino version works just fine :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Achto

I'm a true believer in synthetic's myself in newer engines. But if a 50+ year old engine spent it's whole life running 30wt dino juice and is still running today. Well, I guess that kinda speaks for it's self.:)

• Like 6

johnnymag3

ok....so now that I exposed the wires.....where do I go from here? Why is there a rectifier in my 310-8? do I have a stator?   or is that a diode in the factory line and I still have a alternator?

Ive never seen anything like this....:no:

Should I start it and measure the output of the 2 yellow wires coming from the shroud to the regulator? Will that give me an answer? I have never seen a regulator bolted or mounted to the back of a dash on a 310-8?                                                                                wandering aimlessly and scratching my head....:confusion-helpsos:

Tractorhead
7 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

ok....so now that I exposed the wires.....where do I go from here? Why is there a rectifier in my 310-8? do I have a stator?   or is that a diode in the factory line and I still have a alternator?

Should I start it and measure the output of the 2 yellow wires coming from the shroud to the regulator? Will that give me an answer? I have never seen a regulator bolted or mounted to the back of a dash on a 310-8?                                                                                wandering aimlessly and scratching my head....:confusion-helpsos:

Do you have pic‘s 

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

You should start a separate thread in electrical system.  To hard to find you  pictures and previous posts buried in here.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3

yes...look back a few posts, I posted them 12 hrs.ago.

Thanks. 

In this thread

johnnymag3
On 4/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, johnnymag3 said:

Made some headway today on the 310-8. doing all of the wiring over......its a rats nest....but it does work !!   Wire nuts, scotch locks...whatever he had in reach I guess

Also found a regulator rectifier behind the dash plate...!!!!!!!

Whats the deal here I ask. I thought it was one of those unregulated systems....      Hmmmmm

I guess the previous owner may know....but maybe not. Remember he is 88 years old. This is part of my Covid….19....Corona deal 3 weeks ago

HELP121516033_thumbnail_IMG_14691.jpg.20901799a05bfa0a0f6b543a0e019ae1.jpgimage.png.616bd64b9483b4c3c41b8869776cdb40.png1677690668_thumbnail_IMG_14681.jpg.c7c8105e189d820164568c634316ab02.jpg

johnnymag3
21 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

this is what I found under the covering1739925058_thumbnail_IMG_14971.jpg.a3479e5783256b6b421cf794452c2650.jpg1684346276_thumbnail_IMG_14961.jpg.3b2e4d302064f6ab3dc737c2a15f4875.jpg

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Check the Ac voltage just on the yellow wire (unbroken one) mifht be tehhead light circuit.  Try to read DC on the wire with the thing in it.  If it is a diode it will be DC down stream  Hard to tell from picture if that is a diode or just a connecter.  Need to move this to and separate posting in Electrical.

• Excellent 1

johnnymag3

I moved it.....thank you

also there is no broken wire, it appears that the seal on the yellow wire is factory. Do they put the diode in there?

Thanks again

balconio

Today it's cosmetics, painted the wheel weights since they were looking grungy. I also greased the deck while it's off and will get to work on replacing the brake shaft seal. One front tire is dry rotted so I'll toss on that spare in the foreground.

IMG_20200501_170556560.jpg.e60c90e64e99130344e98da97c90c328.jpg

Oh yeah and added an "aircraft style" switch cover just because

IMG_20200501_171105852.jpg.f70cc1f0985076d98594e94c6529de7f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Greentored

The 1277 is getting a buff out while the shop stove cooks my late dinner. This ones getting a shine on what’s left and done.

Probably a very good idea to put something other than hops and barley in my belly, was a rough week👍

55568087-33B2-4BCB-9827-1221EB29DC11.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Messed around outside most of the day.

Excellent weather and the blackflies are just starting to wake up so not too bad yet.

Amongst a bunch of other things I hauled 3-1/2 loads of wood out and Trina pulled 2.

She and her mom stacked it in the woodshed.

image000000_80.jpg.b5b721ed2107e77ea33a47e486511ef3.jpg

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Amongst a bunch of other things I hauled 3-1/2 loads of wood out and Trina pulled 2.

She and her mom stacked it in the woodshed.

You were asking for running board ideas for "Colossus" the other day.  I think I just spotted a good one.           :laughing-rolling:

489912019_firewood.jpg.d45ed50e5ac3d2347b0135c859120cfb.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You were asking for running board ideas for "Colossus" the other day.  I think I just spotted a good one.           :laughing-rolling:

489912019_firewood.jpg.d45ed50e5ac3d2347b0135c859120cfb.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Well done sir.

I'll have my lead woodpile stacker and organizer remove that immediately.

• Haha 3

D_Mac

Pull it out like Jenga and it all comes down !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

D_Mac

@balconio We are neighbors ! Grew up in Webster, live in the city now.

• Like 1

Andy N.

Put the tiller on the 312-8 for a fun day of garden tilling!

IMG_0348.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart
29 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Today I put the mask on the 418 A , again....we are heading out to roll the lawn as we give the grass a haircut. Gotta wait until the dampness is gone though

418 A covid.jpg

that Horse won’t catch no virus!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

tom2p
On 5/1/2020 at 11:07 AM, balconio said:

on the topic of oil- i'm a believer in full synthetic for my cars/trucks, but i'm having doubts about using it in these old tractors. i know there's a fair bit of (dis)information on the web, but i read some things about how full synthetics might not be good for older engines in terms of seals and leaks. i'm going to err on the side of believing this and plan to use only dino-oil in the engine/transaxle. i experienced this exact thing in an older AYP lawn tractor, where i did a full synthetic oil change with 10W-30 and it leaked out the rear main seal. the idea is that the detergents are too strong and effective at cleaning out minor sludge which actually helps to seal these older engines which have looser tolerances and old-school rubber seals

the issue you observed is not uncommon - newer synthetic oils can result in leaks due to the properties of the oil if for no other reason - even and including synthetic oils that promote seal compatibility  ... they (basically) just flow better 

the other issue is it can also be a challenge to find synthetics in the proper viscosity ... 

fortunately there are a number of good quality conventional motor oils ... they might not protect as well as the top performing synthetics when used for an extended period - but still perform very well (and better than some well marketed synthetics)

in the past I've used Valvoline, Castrol, and Kendall conventional motor oils - but unfortunately availability became more of a challenge and I got lazy and began to use synthetic in everything - including our 704 ...

Pullstart

@Lane Ranger that middle RJ, is that the patina pattern or a shadow?  It looks awesome!

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Patina 1958 from Oklahoma. -no Date code  on transmission so early

• Like 1