Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977

Do you have any skin left on you knuckles? Don't know how those are, some older ones were a pain to wind. You would just about have it wound or have it wound and trying to get the screw in and it would fly apart.

8ntruck

Heading up to Michigan next week to take care of some business and exercise the horse by picking up the leaves that the 20 odd oak trees on the property have dropped - weather permitting.  Earlier this summer I was mowing with the new to me RD deck and lawn sweeper combination with very good results.  Hopefully that combination will also work on the leaves.  I'll probably have time to mount the new shoes on the rear on this trip as well.

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Heading up to Michigan next week to take care of some business and exercise the horse by picking up the leaves that the 20 odd oak trees on the property have dropped - weather permitting.  Earlier this summer I was mowing with the new to me RD deck and lawn sweeper combination with very good results.  Hopefully that combination will also work on the leaves.  I'll probably have time to mount the new shoes on the rear on this trip as well.

Safe travels, Bill!

953 nut
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Earlier this summer I was mowing with the new to me RD deck and lawn sweeper combination with very good results.  Hopefully that combination will also work on the leaves

That is the combination I have used for leaf mulching and collection for several years, works well. Enjoy your seat time.

pfrederi

One of my favorite WH pass times  NOT!!...Tire day 4 to do and then sand blast a couple rims

IMG_0339.JPG

• Like 4

8ntruck

Paul - at least it looks like you have the proper selection of tools there to change the tires.  Looks like I'm going to be trying to change a couple of rear tires with one tire iron, a crow bar, while using a scissor jack and my truck bumper as a bead breaker next week.

• Haha 1

adsm08

Wish I had any horse work to report here.

I've been working almost non-stop on the cars for a few weeks now. The Ranger makes funny noises while cranking, starter won't stay lined up. The Mustang blew a couple brake lines, Bronco II's clutch hydraulics decided to randomly stop disengaging the clutch without any visible leaks, and I sold the 97 Expedition, bought an 04 Explorer with almost 60K fewer miles, which still puts it above 200K on the clock, so all of my weekend time has been spent at work taking care of normal wear and tear items for that mileage, brakes, tires, worn suspension, etc.

Hopefully next weekend I'll have time to try and steal the starter shim from the B2 for my Ranger, I think it is damaged and the cause of my problems. Unfortunately the way Ford designed their shims the transmission has to be partially removed before the shim can be removed.

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Paul - at least it looks like you have the proper selection of tools there to change the tires.  Looks like I'm going to be trying to change a couple of rear tires with one tire iron, a crow bar, while using a scissor jack and my truck bumper as a bead breaker next week.

With over a 100 tires from 4.10x 4 to 13.2 x 38 i have accumulated a bunch of tires tool I have bigger bead breakers for the big tires and have to deal with lock ring wheels...(always exciting when you inflate them).

Good luck be careful Are they older tires ..they can be a challenge even with tools as rust and hardening of the rubber add to the fun.  Bring them into a heated space the night before and make up some soapy water for lube.

• Like 1

8ntruck

Paul - you, they are old.  They appear to be the 1974 originals.  Just about every 90 degree mold line in the tread and sidewalls is cracked.

And yes, I already have the soapy water mixed up.

Hope that you are using an inflation cage when you inflate those lock ring rims.

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Paul - you, they are old.  They appear to be the 1974 originals.  Just about every 90 degree mold line in the tread and sidewalls is cracked.

And yes, I already have the soapy water mixed up.

Hope that you are using an inflation cage when you inflate those lock ring rims.

I chain them up...watched one go off back when I was on active duty ..made a believer out of me.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

adsm08
5 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I  heard this story from a guy I used to work with.

Back in the late 80s he was working in a tire store that did everything from tractor tires to tractor-trailer tires. They hired this know-it-all kid right out of Vo-tech who was pretty cocky. Bob told him to get started on some 18-wheeler tires with split rims, and to be sure to use the cage while inflating them. He left to do something else, came back about 10 or 15 minutes later to check on the kid, and he is in the tire cage, inflating a tire that is not in the tire cage.

• Haha 4
  • Heart 1

8ntruck

I worked for 40 years in the automotive wheel industry.  The company also made wheels for 18 wheelers.  In one of the trade magazines, I saw a single frame cartoon of a mechanic inside the safety cage, inflating the tire that was leaning against the cage with the locking ring starting to peel off.  I never thought anybody would actually do that!

Seeing the safety video on assembling multi piece rims showing what happened when you got it wrong was good enough for me.  I never wanted to see one come apart in person!

One of our computer labs was separated from the wheel bullwheel test room by a cement block wall.  One day I was happily working away on the computer when one of the truck tires on test decided to let loose.  I felt the explosion as much as heard it on my side of the wall.  That was more than close enough for me!

Semi tires run close to 100 psi.  Multiplying that pressure by the area of the sidewall makes a very large number that is worth of much respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

adsm08
29 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I worked for 40 years in the automotive wheel industry.  The company also made wheels for 18 wheelers.  In one of the trade magazines, I saw a single frame cartoon of a mechanic inside the safety cage, inflating the tire that was leaning against the cage with the locking ring starting to peel off.  I never thought anybody would actually do that!

Seeing the safety video on assembling multi piece rims showing what happened when you got it wrong was good enough for me.  I never wanted to see one come apart in person!

One of our computer labs was separated from the wheel bullwheel test room by a cement block wall.  One day I was happily working away on the computer when one of the truck tires on test decided to let loose.  I felt the explosion as much as heard it on my side of the wall.  That was more than close enough for me!

Semi tires run close to 100 psi.  Multiplying that pressure by the area of the sidewall makes a very large number that is worth of much respect.

Ford has a facility in Detroit where they test the fail-safe devices for high voltage batteries used in hybrid and full electric vehicles. The "Rapid Disassembly Room" is lined with 1" thick AR plate on all sides.

• Like 1

Achto

That's awesome Josh!! Looks like you guys had some great bonding time while getting some work done with the horses. I woke up this morning with big ideas but... was out of ambition by the time I got home from work.:( Maybe get some thing done tomorrow after work...:eusa-think:or not :thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Nice work there @DBlackston

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
5 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I chain them up...watched one go off back when I was on active duty ..made a believer out of me.

heard some split rim horror stories 

including ... split rim (ring) blew off and struck a guy as he was walking away from a newly installed tire after inflating it 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Tractorhead

Had several split rims on my old RV (7,5to) on my Cargo before

and on several Vehicles i drove, they are as safe as closed rims.

I like them, especially if you drove in Areas, where nobody can help you repair a tyre and found they has some advantages,

like you just need as a spare tyre a simple tyredeck, ( saves weight) and can fixed even mounted on the Car/truck on the Field as long as you have any Aircompressor aside.

The importantst thing is, you must working very controlled not any step in a hurry.

The Spring ring can be very dangerous, they didn’t sorry any mistakes.

if it was not cleanly inserted or dirt was under, They can jump out while inflating.

As long as they correct inserted and the tyre is inflated,

the springring is pressed by the force of the air into the clamp ring on the rim.

working on this sort of rims needs a bit respect and a clean working.

Fear for them wasn‘t needed, and heard of any „blasts“ are just happen by wrong mounting.

A good portion of respect will keep you safe.

Don‘t inflate with the springring in any human direction,

so if he wasn‘t cleanly inserted, it jumps out with the added force of inflated Air and that can be a extremely high force.

whilst a flying springring can causes very bad insurances until dead.

keep your and other bodies heady and hands out of the axial direction to the rim when inflating, 

use a inflater with a flexible pipeextension to attach it to Valve.

my experiences over the last 30years was, this accidents are happen, if things wasn‘t clean inserted, or they worked in a hurry on that sort of rims.

Normally this can be allway’s seen, if a springring was good inserted or not.

and if they handled right, they as save as closed rims also.

the error or mistakes are not happen at the rims,

they been normally allways a result of worse handle at the guy‘s who mount them.

@tom2p

you never will hear the stories of people they drove split Rims

nobody who‘s drive itself a split Rims will agree with that „ horror Stories“

i had also once a Blast of a Trucktyre on a closed Rim, luckyly in a save envoirement with very less speed.

It was impressive what just 7,5 Bar Airpressure causes to a Car side..

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 11/23/2019 at 2:58 PM, 8ntruck said:

If you have troubles with that, stop on by!  I have a tire machine that’ll work dandy on 12” wheels!

• Like 3

Pullstart

This 48” plow came with “Big Junky” and I thought it would be fun to toss on “Jane”.  The frame appears to be custom with unique mounts too.  I’ve never plowed with a tractor and thought it would be cool to have a worker if I had the chance to hop out of the truck and onto a :wh:

I also though I might attempt to plow down some of the grass in the field to push some deer towards the bedding area I planted last year in the back of the property.

967197C7-1074-41C2-88D5-EF73B184F8C5.jpeg

8D09B29C-1012-4DEC-983E-D52E43A5C21C.jpeg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

This 48” plow came with “Big Junky” and I thought it would be fun to toss on “Jane”.  The frame appears to be custom with unique mounts too.  I’ve never plowed with a tractor and thought it would be cool to have a worker if I had the chance to hop out of the truck and onto a :wh:

I also though I might attempt to plow down some of the grass in the field to push some deer towards the bedding area I planted last year in the back of the property.

967197C7-1074-41C2-88D5-EF73B184F8C5.jpeg

8D09B29C-1012-4DEC-983E-D52E43A5C21C.jpeg

Interesting mount system.

Maybe someone had a short frame plow and needed extra length? Or was trying to move the plow forward for some reason?

Please share more pics with it set up.

Throw on some chains and weights and you'll have a nice little rig there.

MikMacMike
On 11/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, DBlackston said:

Getting closer to having my HY-3 rockshaft done!

20191123_170358.jpg.8a991bb36e78655cfab15d062926a72b.jpg

20191123_170350.jpg.5b0d8e8776f1914471ac0f53ade00ab5.jpg

Got home and test fit it in the tractor and it all lined up and operated smooth!

20191123_172123.jpg.0cba87f14d23008164d9b8b7869ff3a2.jpg

20191123_172132.jpg.407a572d669bcee082c78ea6c7ae3404.jpg

Right on! Just remember The original wheel horse boys did just that, fabed up perfected and then implemented for sale. You gotta luv when it all fits the 1st time too especially if the fabbing isnt right next to the project. Fine Job young feller.

• Thanks 1