sqrlgtr 3,913 #26801 Posted yesterday at 02:23 PM 1 hour ago, peter lena said: @sqrlgtr got one for you , as usual HIDING IN PLANE SITE ! your front end tie rod area , nice improvement on that , been using heim joints for years , no failures , anyway , pto outer swing arm clip , with round hole end ? directly RELATED TO THAT ? HITCH PIN CLIP ON FRAME ,? what could you possibly do ? connect the loops wit a medium pull hooked extension spring ? you know what that does ? STOPS THE RELATED BUZZING AND RATTELING , TA DA ! as a millwright I was always looking for a problem elimination , BTW ANY BEARING I have with rubber side shields , guess what ? carefully remove shield , wipe out , carb cleaner flush . LUCAS GREEN XTRA HD , CHASSIS GREASE , walmart $ 7 , specs 550 deg flash point , polyurea , stays with bearing , WHAT A CONCEPT ! these COLLECTIVE DETAILS ARE A GAME CHANGER , my 3 horses are loaded with them , years in , no issues OR FAILURES , dare to try something , let me know , pete Agreed Pete, Ive made a few tie rods up for some of my other tractors but don't believe the Heim joints would look right on the 701. here is a couple/3 pics. The bottom pic is the 701 and they are different design than the later models. 6 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bar Nuthin 3,201 #26802 Posted yesterday at 02:47 PM 23 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said: Ive made a few tie rods Are you turning the rods yourself. I'd love to get my tractors converted over. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
sqrlgtr 3,913 #26803 Posted yesterday at 03:02 PM (edited) 15 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said: Are you turning the rods yourself. I'd love to get my tractors converted over. yeah, just repurposed old tie rods. Ive used the older ones that were not threaded on either end and some of the later ones that were already threaded on one end. Turn and thread to a left-hand thread so they are easily adjustable. Really helps when you want to center the steering wheel up also. Edited yesterday at 03:03 PM by sqrlgtr 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
peter lena 10,061 #26804 Posted yesterday at 03:10 PM @sqrlgtr , initially used threaded rod on my tie rod ends / flat heim joints , as a durability test , guess what ? many years in , no failures or issues , slide a hose over the threaded rod , it disappears . dialed in same original tie rod measurement , been bombproof , pete 2 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Racinbob 13,177 #26805 Posted yesterday at 03:23 PM I've made several pairs over the years using 3/8"-24 threaded rod with 3/8" ID steel tube over it. Also made them with heims. 8 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Lane Ranger 12,103 #26806 Posted yesterday at 04:22 PM I put a different Schnacke recoil on my patina 1958 RJ today! i had Joe Papke replace a spring and stainless steel cable in my spare Schnacke recoil! This old motor with the Schancke starts on the first pull! I changed oil in the oil bath air cleaner and motor! Still smokes a bit but runs best of any Kohler I own! I also changed air filter in my 314-8 today! 9 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
702854boy 1,145 #26807 Posted yesterday at 05:53 PM On Tuesday we were able to snag a 6 speed for a Ulysses S Grant 4 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
sqrlgtr 3,913 #26808 Posted 22 hours ago Replaced front axle pivot pin/bolt, drilled drag link out and made a couple bushings on lathe for drag link on 701. I didnt relize how wore everything was until I really got to looking closer at front end. My niece was driving it around the other day and I could see it better watching it go by I guess . 3 4 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
peter lena 10,061 #26809 Posted 2 hours ago @Lane Ranger l ike chain and cable lube on any cable , keeps its very supple , also been using rislone Zink additive in all my oils for years , biggest , gain ? engine VARNISH KILLER , none of my engines smoke , oil changes are like a , hot coal oil flush , also like your vintage oiled paint look , looks perfect to me , valvoline oil makes a classic flat tappet oil . personally can hear and feel a easier running ease , always trying something , pete Share this post Link to post Share on other sites