Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??

I doubt it Cribs... most likely a PO inflicted thing. Funny thing is all these tractors with a drivers side bad axle were dedicated mowers  with a passenger  SD deck???? Curious  enough all said tractors had hood to dash alignment problems. Just trying to connect the dots here. I still believe something has to do with the weight  of a deck hanging off a left side lift arm and tweaking the hood stand? No idea how this always ties into a  bad left rear axle... maybe I just been watching to much NCIS ......:lol:

• Haha 4

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

I doubt it Cribs... most likely a PO inflicted thing. Funny thing is all these tractors with a drivers side bad axle were dedicated mowers  with a passenger  SD deck???? Curious  enough all said tractors had hood to dash alignment problems. Just trying to connect the dots here. I still believe something has to do with the weight  of a deck hanging off a left side lift arm and tweaking the hood stand? No idea how this always ties into a  bad left rear axle... maybe I just been watching to much NCIS ......:lol:

How would one determine driver’s side and passenger’s side on a center steer one person machine?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

ZXT

Took the C-120 to my antique engine club's bi-annual show and swap meet. In times past (10-15 years ago) the park we set up at would have been full - it's been dwindling and this year we had probably 10 trucks show up.. Small event but we had a good time. Rode around and then the Tecumseh wouldn't crank over.. Tapping the starter made it react and turn some but not enough to engage. Got it home and pulled the starter off earlier this evening and took it apart. Looked new inside. Turns out its a fairly new starter and  the paint on the mounting ears was thick enough that it wasn't grounding well at all. Brought it down to bare metal and the starter works on the bench now.. I'll try it on the tractor tomorrow.

I forgot to take any pictures at the show but here's one before and one that a buddy of mine snapped pictured with my Jacobsen WW2-era army generator charging my battery.. I really need to test to see if the stator or regulator is bad.

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6456.JPG

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 4

WHX??
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

How would one determine driver’s side and passenger’s side on a center steer one person machine?

This is how smart @$$ .... didn't think of a two seater did ya! :lol: and since this is the United States drivers side is on the LEFT!

20180621_191421.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

I have been looking at some slide on forks for my loader tractor but they are very expensive and overkill for what I would use them for. My father-in-law has lots of scrap metal so I picked out some pieces and fabricated my own. The 1 x 3 box steel is lighter than it probably should be but I would rather bend or break them than my bucket. 

My set screw set up on the back of the bucket won’t really work well for very much down pressure but it should be fine for lifting with the forks and I can adjust the forks to any width along the entire width of the bucket. . It will be handy for moving logs and stacks of pallets. 

802B3E9D-5B15-4E04-A6EF-6204D85261DD.jpeg.d521e333fbc45f2dae748feed2585190.jpegB409A9E0-F5C2-4502-8665-FC15D8026073.jpeg.d0d272c31ea23b5d0eb30703ca76cb24.jpeg2710444A-89F0-45EA-B372-DB6310CBC478.jpeg.dbb7eaa3e18bc26199d035b6edb9a80a.jpegD12903AB-6EFF-4642-A543-12A262B750CF.jpeg.3bcd65fb3ad860eeb1be732779a2afc4.jpeg1C8207CC-3C5A-4250-9737-85E12B897237.jpeg.c16da82f580514f36f540911036cc4d6.jpegA19319A3-5731-4EAB-82BA-C60183C8BD98.jpeg.b0ce4104719967aaf28c7ec5b6eec4da.jpeg

Craig, you might just drill and tap to 1/2"-13 (one hole each) through the top (inside the bucket) plates and that should be more than enough to hold them in place... Sorta like below just trying to help you out easy on off and width adjustable too.

Screenshot_20190429-100024.png

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
On 4/28/2019 at 6:43 AM, ebinmaine said:

Spent some time working on both Patriot horse and Cinnamon Horse yesterday.

Cinnamon broke down last weekend due to a carburetor that was more like a garden hose. Just poured fuel...

Got the "new" one from @A-Z Tractor Lincoln in the mail Friday. Disassembled and soaked it overnight.

Put it back together and swapped it out Saturday afternoon. Wouldn't start because there was no fuel in the bowl and the battery died before it would crank enough to fill it.

We'll try again this morning.

Patriot horse has had a noisy starter for quite a while.

A week or two ago I popped the bendix off, cleaned it up and it did start easier but the noise actually got worse.

Did a little poking around and @Stepney suggested it needed a cleaning or bushing replacement.

So I acquired another skill. I rebuilt a starter for the first time.... Mostly.

Turns out it was right full of debris and powder and rust and dirt.

I got a brush and bushing kit online and installed the new brushes following a video made by @stevasaurus a few years back.

The kit I ordered didn't have the right bushing for one end (my fault) but the bushings in the starter were in good shape so I finished a thorough cleaning and put her back together.

In order to make a new surface for the brushes to ride on I read where someone had chucked the whole shaft in a lathe and sanded it while it turning.

I don't have a lathe but I do have a drill. I put the (armature?) In the drill and gave it a nice new clean surface.

Starts like a Thoroughbred now...

IMG_20190427_133155188.jpg.49d127e0b6378758a4ac1f0c169b99f9.jpg

IMG_20190427_140919477.jpg.0adb0e25ef1a669c6604e1fb9d4ed629.jpg

IMG_20190427_145912080.jpg.ed8c8459c6c6671506f744152b73f65c.jpg

IMG_20190427_151325242.jpg.8aa168eef8faa4e7fd810d01044367fa.jpg

Where did you find the kit and what would 

have been the correct one?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Where did you find the kit and what would 

have been the correct one?

I got the kit from DB electrical. Com through the fleabay.

it was my fault for not doing enough homework. I've actually never ordered one of these kits or as stated above, never rebuilt the starter until now.

to be perfectly honest I just noticed that it was a Kohler starter rebuild kit and it had the potential to cover the motor that I have along with some others.

what turned out to be different was that my particular starter had two long through bolts that went from one end to the other. The kit came with two nuts in it which apparently would have been replacements for a different type of fastening systems than I had... Perhaps long studs?... also, the shaft size on the Bendix end would have been much bigger in the one in the kit.

if you are going to buy one of these kids I would advise disassembling your starter and then calling DB electrical. Their customer service to me so far has been excellent.

• Thanks 1

Achto

I think that my Raider 12 plow tractor may be jealous of my newly built Radpferd. He seems to be putting on a little weight.:lol:

IMG_20190429_181104332_HDR-min.jpg.4535f63b969654315504b9d28da0b649.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Great pun! It looks like the Raider might be preparing for the furrows again after a long winters nap!  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

adsm08

Might seem mundane, but I did this today, and was quite excited about it:

DgcHMJa.jpg

Took me about three hours to mow my yard, and the yard of the empty house next to me, which is about 5/8th of an acre of grass. 2nd gear is slow, but in my yard 3rd will bounce you out of the seat and I think my front bearings may need adjusted, so slow it was. This was also between stopping to check on the kids and helping the guy two houses down (other side of the empty house) with his newly acquired 310-8. He let is back yard get too high, tried to mow it with the deck too low, and smoked his spindle belt. Took 2 minutes to get the deck off, two more to figure out that he'd jammed the RH blade with clippings, and three hours to replace the belt, between looking for the part number on the belt, three trips to the store before getting the right one, and cleaning/greasing the deck to find the routing diagram, and a stuck auto tensioner.

And I fixed the hydro pump's belt cover. I noticed it getting hot, and a metal sound at low engine speed. Turns out I had the stand-offs reversed and the pulley was rubbing the cover. I gotta rebuild that pump though. It stays dry while the engine is running, and then leaks like a sieve when I shut her down.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 8

ZXT

Put the starter back on the C-120 just before dark. Wouldn't crank over. Needs a new starter. Between that and it not charging, I'm tempted to start looking for a Kohler to put on it. I also decided to change my axle seals because they leak some. Changed one seal, and the woodruff key on that side because it was worn. Axle has a little wear and so does the hub. Pulled the other side off and the axle is pretty bad, and so is the hub. Need to research if I can weld up the key slot in the axle, and maybe cut a new keyway in the hub, or get replacements... There's always something! I don't know who designed the way the hubs attach to the axles, but it was a horrible design. I don't know how any wheel hub could possibly stay tight, other than from rust.

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

Put the starter back on the C-120 just before dark. Wouldn't crank over. Needs a new starter. Between that and it not charging, I'm tempted to start looking for a Kohler to put on it. I also decided to change my axle seals because they leak some. Changed one seal, and the woodruff key on that side because it was worn. Axle has a little wear and so does the hub. Pulled the other side off and the axle is pretty bad, and so is the hub. Need to research if I can weld up the key slot in the axle, and maybe cut a new keyway in the hub, or get replacements... There's always something! I don't know who designed the way the hubs attach to the axles, but it was a horrible design. I don't know how any wheel hub could possibly stay tight, other than from rust.

The axles are repairable with a welder and then ground down.

I've not done it but there are threads around about using a piece of brass.

Best trick with the hubs is to put in a second set screw. I've done that with a drill press and hand tools.

Replacement parts are also available from @A-Z Tractor and others.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 2

Achto
8 hours ago, ZXT said:

Need to research if I can weld up the key slot in the axle, and maybe cut a new keyway in the hub

Check out the repair that I did to my Raider 12. You'll have to scroll down a bit. The hub repair will be on the next page (6) of this post.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 3

ZXT

Thanks for the advice! 

Eric, funny enough, the side that's really bad (drivers side) already has two set screws. I'm going to start looking for another set of hubs and I'll add an extra set screw to each. 

Achto, I'll definitely read through that thoroughly! Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Thanks for the advice! 

Eric, funny enough, the side that's really bad (drivers side) already has two set screws. I'm going to start looking for another set of hubs and I'll add an extra set screw to each. 

Achto, I'll definitely read through that thoroughly! Thanks for the link!

Some things to add to that info.

It's not a bad idea to put a small flat spot on the axle corresponding with each set screw.

Be sure to use a set screw that has a cup shape to the bottom of it and it is not excessively worn. They get flattened out after being tightened and loosened over the years.

When you install the set screw for the first time, torque to spec, loosen maybe quarter turn. Repeat that a few times and it will give the set screw a bit of a ring to sit in on the axle.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

That's a great idea, Eric. I could see where maybe 3 set screws might be even better, but I don't know if that would weaken the hub too much. This one will only get used for mowing so that might not be an issue. If I had three, and possibly an indention in the axle so that the screw actually set in and took some of the load, i think it would help.

Achto, I read through and saw the part on the hub repair. I might go that route instead of looking for hubs. Thanks!

• Like 2

Achto
26 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I'm going to start looking for another set of hubs and I'll add an extra set screw to each.

@WHX22 is offering service to cut new key ways in your existing hubs, if you are interested in going that route.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
On 4/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, WHX22 said:

You might need to go back and watch 

columbo reruns!! :ROTF:

Lane Ranger

Put a pair of older Silvertowns I have had for years on my 1964 Wheel Horse 854. 

DD22134E-18EB-48E1-8831-F2AD3E85A35D.jpeg

7064D596-AC86-4281-88D2-4D00AE86D79E.jpeg

48F6D6C0-DB39-46BD-905A-F04E5C80AC17.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Stormin

After mowing the green and verges, I turned my attention to making sure all the tractors would start and ready for the weekend. My local vintage clubs annual rally at Carlisle airport.

Took a bit of slack out of the C-125s steering.

The C-81 that had not been started for some time, fired up almost immediately with a squirt of petrol in the carb.

Gave the C-121s primer bulb a couple of squeezes and that fired up straight away.

The Sears/Roper GT16 also started straight away as it usually does.

Next all tyre pressures checked, engine and trans oils checked and anything that had a grease nipple got greased.

Finally I put the lawn sweeper on the C-125 and swept the green.

• Excellent 3

oneroadkingman

I've been troubled by my Onan 20hp not wanting to run right. and what i mean by that is u have to fill the carb up with gas it will run fine till the gas runs out. Also if u refill carb and hold the butterfly 3/8 in. open it will stay running and that's it .this is what I've done so far, I have replaced the fuel pump, carb, fuel lines, filter new shut off valve in the gas tank also flushed it out, put on new intake and exhaust gaskets on it.

I'm baffled as what to do next?

baffled in saint. Louis!

19richie66

Nothing to the Wheelhorses but I have progressed on what’s keeping me from my Wheelhorses.  At least it’s the right color :handgestures-thumbupright:  One more coat of redguard and time to sling some tile.

94F6B1B2-484C-417A-9020-142A3707A8EA.jpeg

2A693C05-0807-4730-BAEE-2052877EE625.jpeg

19D4CEC3-84B3-4CC1-9F66-5A11DC4F054E.jpeg

• Like 7

Herder
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

Nothing to the Wheelhorses but I have progressed on what’s keeping me from my Wheelhorses.  At least it’s the right color :handgestures-thumbupright:  One more coat of redguard and time to sling some tile.

94F6B1B2-484C-417A-9020-142A3707A8EA.jpeg

2A693C05-0807-4730-BAEE-2052877EE625.jpeg

19D4CEC3-84B3-4CC1-9F66-5A11DC4F054E.jpeg

Indoor projects have stall work in the shop here as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19richie66

I have all kinds of things I want to do but this house keeps haunting me. This is the last  MAJOR project  :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
Emphasis on “major”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1