Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

PWL216

11HP Briggs n Stratton. Made just 1 year - 1979.

Colby G
1 minute ago, PWL216 said:

If they were made only one year, does that mean they are hard to find parts for?

Blasterdad
3 minutes ago, PWL216 said:

Yep, the story goes that :wh: was having difficulty getting 10 hp Kohlers from the factory so the C-111 was "born".

Yours does look all original except for the "headlight" :lol::handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

PWL216
6 minutes ago, Colby G said:

If they were made only one year, does that mean they are hard to find parts for?

You will have no issues getting parts…

wallfish
25 minutes ago, ML3 said:

I flushed it out, drained it & it sat inside. I flushed it again couple weeks ago & topped it off. It wasn't bad either time I flushed it

@stevasaurus has some pretty good videos and info on those 3 piece trannys so maybe take a peek inside of it. You can get gasket sets. And a bearing kit if you need to rebuild it. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Blasterdad
6 minutes ago, Colby G said:

No, same tractor, same parts, just different engine. 

Colby G
1 minute ago, PWL216 said:

You will have no issues getting parts…

Ok thank God!, and thank you for your info!

Edited by Colby G

ML3
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

@stevasaurus has some pretty good videos and info on those 3 piece trannys so maybe take a peek inside of it. You can get gasket sets. And a bearing kit if you need to rebuild it. :twocents-02cents:

Thanks. Transmissions are my kryptonite. Lol! 

Unfortunately,  I have must do projects that now need to take priority.  I may try taking it apart but I'd rather swap with hopefully a good transmission. Got some time to think what I wanna do

pfrederi

I think the transmission input from the C-160-8  I am working on has an identity crisis...pick a part number....

IMG_0939.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 7

squonk
On 2/3/2024 at 2:48 PM, ML3 said:

I flushed it out, drained it & it sat inside. I flushed it again couple weeks ago & topped it off. It wasn't bad either time I flushed it

Probably one of the bearings rusted up tight. My yard art Suburban would roll when I got it. I drained about 2 qts. of water out of it. It sat for a day empty in my garage and the next day it was bound up tighter than a crick rock. 

You can fix the trans 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Cody said:

Didn't get much done in the garage today but i did score this 314H today.  Watched it on chrigslist for the last week and finally called about it. There was only 1 picture of it and it was poorly taken but the guy Said $400 come and get it. The auger is pretty beat up on the blower but it's fixable. Much to my surprise when I got there he drags out a mint 42" deck and power flow baggers too that were never mentined in the add. Anyday bringing home a new horse is a good day.

Niiiiice. 

Looks like you got a GREAT deal there.  

oliver2-44
On 2/3/2024 at 12:07 PM, ML3 said:

Not sure what I'll do now.......probably find another transmission I guess....

Disappointed about transmission 

20240203_124155.jpg

You can rebuild that transmission in less time that it would take to drive and pickup another one. 

Where did you find the cool gas cap with the old school periscope level indicator 

• Like 1

ML3
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

You can rebuild that transmission in less time that it would take to drive and pickup another one. 

Where did you find the cool gas cap with the old school periscope level indicator 

I may have to rebuild transmission.  Gotta figure out which trans it is to see what parts are available?? Stamped A21-0 on case. I just hate thought of pulling transmission apart. 

The gas cap is just a vent. It came with fuel tank. Bought it on Amazon. 

20240204_085621.jpg

Screenshot_20240205_083318_Amazon Shopping.jpg

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, ML3 said:

have to rebuild transmission.  Gotta figure out which trans it is to see what parts are available?? Stamped A21-0 on case. I just hate thought of pulling transmission apart

Don't sweat that for half a minute. Those Transmissions are ridiculously easy to do.

ML3
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Don't sweat that for half a minute. Those Transmissions are ridiculously easy to do.

Are parts readily available? I know there's overhaul kits w/bearings, gaskets etc. What bout if I need any gears, etc? 

Transmissions are my kryptonite.  Lol

rjg854

A-Z Tractor would most likely have what gears you might need, or you could post a wanted ad in the classifieds.

• Like 2

squonk
27 minutes ago, ML3 said:

Are parts readily available? I know there's overhaul kits w/bearings, gaskets etc. What bout if I need any gears, etc? 

Jake Kuhn on FB has tons of trans gears also

• Like 1

ML3
15 minutes ago, squonk said:

Thanks. I dont do Facebook though. I'll check w/Brian @K&B when I figure out what I'm gonna need

• Like 1

Daron1965

Ordered new front rims and tires for my 312-8.

Taking rear tires of tractor to load them.

Preparing to replace the drive belt.  

• Like 2

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, ML3 said:

I may have to rebuild transmission.  Gotta figure out which trans it is to see what parts are available??

The A21-0 is a casting number and means that center casting was made on A=January  21=21st  0=1960

This date would point to it being for a 5010 transmission from a 1960 Suburban. However Wheel Horse was good at using us parts from the previous year model which would have been a 1958-59 RJ 5003 transmission. (You are on that late 59/early 1960 fence) They are essentially the same transmission But WH made some Service Bulletin changes and you won’t know Exactly what you have until you open it up (count the gear teeth on any gears you need to replace). The good thing is most parts are forward compatible and the 2 piece 3 & 4 speed transmission built through the late 1960’s used most of the same gears 
So lots of years of parts machines to gear gears from. 
Also if your axles are worn (and a lot of them are) you can flip them end ove end and drill a new roll pin hole, presto new axle bearing and seal surface. Where you would drill is not hardened, even a Texan like me has successfully done it. 

PS I really like this retrofit fuel tank you found. Original tanks in good condition are getting hard and expensive to find. image.jpeg.f05179779a4a4e88975e935f5aca8b8e.jpeg

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

ML3
12 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

The A21-0 is a casting number and means that center casting was made on A=January  21=21st  0=1960

This date would point to it being for a 5010 transmission from a 1960 Suburban. However Wheel Horse was good at using us parts from the previous year model which would have been a 1958-59 RJ 5003 transmission. (You are on that late 59/early 1960 fence) They are essentially the same transmission But WH made some Service Bulletin changes and you won’t know Exactly what you have until you open it up (count the gear teeth on any gears you need to replace). The good thing is most parts are forward compatible and the 2 piece 3 & 4 speed transmission built through the late 1960’s used most of the same gears 
So lots of years of parts machines to gear gears from. 
Also if your axles are worn (and a lot of them are) you can flip them end ove end and drill a new roll pin hole, presto new axle bearing and seal surface. Where you would drill is not hardened, even a Texan like me has successfully done it. 

PS I really like this retrofit fuel tank you found. Original tanks in good condition are getting hard and expensive to find. image.jpeg.f05179779a4a4e88975e935f5aca8b8e.jpeg

From what I gather I believe it is a 5010 transmission based on location of brake band & I intrepreted the s/n same as you did. Just gotta get around to taking it off tractor & getting it apart. 

The tank would be a close fit to original tank straps in RJ/Suburban I believe?? I plant to purchase another one for my diesel RJ when & if I can find an uncut hood🙏🤞 Then I can remove the tank from top of engine.  

I think there's a few similar options for tanks with color choices too. I wanted red so that's how I ended up with it

20240204_085757.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, ML3 said:

They need not be.  

Easy peasy.  

2 hours ago, squonk said:

2 hours ago, ML3 said:

Thanks. I dont do Facebook though. I'll check w/Brian @K&B when I figure out what I'm gonna need

I don't do the book faces either but I bet someone would pass your info along to Jake so he could call ya.  

ML3
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

They need not be.  

Easy peasy.  

I don't do the book faces either but I bet someone would pass your info along to Jake so he could call ya.  

Maybe so. Guess I gotta get it apart & determine what's needed. I'd rather just swap in a known good transmission.  Right now I have a few "must do" projects that I need to take care of. 

• Like 1