Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Handy Don

Started in on a quick pass through the Lawn Ranger. It was running fine almost two years ago when I drained the gas (love the bowl drain on the HH60!) and parked it. I had visions of putting it to use (it has a dozer blade and I picked up a mower deck) but I can see that is not gonna happen--WAY too many other things on the list. Now just want to see that it's solid and running smoothly then I’ll be putting it up for adoption. 

Got it up on the stand and the first discovery was a coating of rust on the inside of the gas tank. Shucks. I know there’ve been plenty of threads on this so I’m off to research!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

WHX??
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Bolt Depot 🔩

Browsed ther a couple times but never ordered.

Always replace the woodruff. Got blind outhouse lucky once and found 50 of # 15s on fleabay for under 20. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
On 1/21/2024 at 6:13 AM, ranger said:

Just found the ‘Manual’ version valve lapping tool I mentioned before. Made by ‘ZIM’ manufacturing co. Chicago, USA! The shaft oscillates as you turn the handle. It even has a thrust bearing at the top of the shaft! I think it also came with another shorter shaft? Anyway, here are the pics I promised, I know how much you all love ❤️ pics!

IMG_1306.jpeg.369bb701985ab7fe0434e620f0761476.jpegIMG_1307.jpeg.0807bba16a408b1a864752e77cfd0f6d.jpegIMG_1308.jpeg.b57a770618bc6c8c4673430942eb83c7.jpegIMG_1309.jpeg.39c8e122c2bedbea98defda3456e7dcf.jpegIMG_1310.jpeg.b667d5f1a11a081a00c250d7155ee30e.jpeg

Here is my Zim kit, yes there are different length shafts.  The keys are for driving valves with the notches in the face that were common many years ago.

IMG_1053.JPG.448c054b66b0f35934769ecb7b138989.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, TonyToro Jr. said:

the big horse poop pile. 

What do you do with all those apples?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
26 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:

On 1/23/2024 at 4:09 PM, Handy Don said:

(love the bowl drain on the HH60!) 

I hate them Don. Can never get them to quit leaking! :angry-teeth:

• Like 1

TonyToro Jr.
29 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just let it sit and then it over once in a while and then use the compost and spread it in the garden.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

🍎 🍏 🍎 🍏 

• Haha 2

Handy Don
13 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I hate them Don. Can never get them to quit leaking! :angry-teeth:

Yes, once they start to leak the only way to fix ‘em is with a new o-ring. I haven’t bought any lately, but they were not hard to come by.

My fave is the needle valve for draining my Vanguard OHC carb on the Echo generator--ya just gotta remember to close it before fueling it up when the power is out!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, TonyToro Jr. said:

Just let it sit and then it over once in a while and then use the compost and spread it in the garden.

That is garden gold. :handgestures-thumbupright:  Sometimes has a lot of weed seeds in it but the vegies love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, TonyToro Jr. said:

spread it in the garden.

There is a farm 2 mile from me that boards 35-40 horses.     They are always happy to give it away, even loading it for free.   I use around 2 ton / year.

Three years ago they switched from straw to sawdust for bedding.   This really works great and is easier to till into the soil. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Problem , no room for chains now

Sounds like a raised fender waiting to happen 

• Like 3

Handy Don

To prep for rewiring the 854 to a low amp ignition switch plus solenoid, I downloaded and printed the 854’s “stock” wiring diagram from the forum files. Then I marked it up to show the new wiring. After it worked, it seemed like a good idea to do a nice job on the markup and share it for others who might be interested. So a couple hours with a “paint” app later, I had it.

Here, with thanks and a “tip ‘o the hat” to @gwest_ca and @ri702bill for their assists, you can see the revised diagram has been added to the files.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

953 nut
22 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

rewiring the 854 to a low amp ignition switch plus solenoid,

I did a similar drawing as a part of the "Wiring diagrams to help you understand how it is done" thread in our reference section several years ago. It is not model specific and the amp meter or voltmeter are not included to make it a more universal diagram.

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I did a similar drawing as a part of the "Wiring diagrams to help you understand how it is done" thread in our reference section

Yep, I visited this thread and read over a lot of the post before settling on how I would proceed.

The general diagrams are terrific (thanks!) and my goal was to augment that with stuff that would be found by someone looking at the 854-specific documents.

• Like 1

Lee1977
13 hours ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

After 45 min or so and few swear words I finally managed to get these new to me rear shoes installed on the 12 Auto .

They are actually a ATV tire.Pushed around some snow with them and I have to say they preformed pretty darn good.

Problem , no room for chains now 😬 

IMG_7656.jpeg

IMG_7671.jpeg

IMG_7713.jpeg

Try letting a little more air out of those tires until tread levels, I think you will get more traction. Might not need chains, 

• Like 2

Wheelhorse#1
24 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Try letting a little more air out of those tires until tread levels, I think you will get more traction. Might not need chains, 

I’ll try that thanks.

Traction was only a problem a couple times when I got into a couple ice patches on incline.

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

11 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

I’ll try that thanks.

Traction was only a problem a couple times when I got into a couple ice patches on incline.

I'll second that on the air lowering. You really only need about 8 lb in a rear tire. I've seen people use even less. Being an ATV type Tire you may need to experiment a little bit to make sure it's not over or under inflated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

Fluid fill them?.....

• Like 1

Roger R

I run my Carlisle Super Lugs with only enough pressure to move the gauge the least bit.  That's after running at max for long enough to be sure the beads are sealed against the rims. It's amazing how much that will increase the "footprint" on the ground, not only the width but the length.

• Like 4

BrianKoch

Gentlemen,

With temperatures hitting 60 degrees in Maryland, today I decided to do some storm damage cleanup around the acreage so I hitched up the utility trailer to the ‘68 Charger 12 and got to work. Anybody else despise Eastern White Pines…most fragile tree ever! 

IMG_1832.jpeg.bba7754f8e735139a85a012077b1dc1f.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Blasterdad
37 minutes ago, BrianKoch said:

Eastern White Pines…most fragile tree ever! 

The needles make a mess too & kill the grass.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, BrianKoch said:

Anybody else despise Easter White Pines…most fragile tree ever! 

2 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

The needles make a mess too & kill the grass.

We let a few large pines live on the back third of our acreage. 

Any new ones. Pulled out.  

We have PLENTY of them on neighboring properties.  

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, BrianKoch said:

Anybody else despise Easter White Pines…most fragile tree ever! 

Michigan State Tree.

Lost 4 last year. :(

I actually love them... when they stay up... beautiful soft needles.

You can see the first of many loads in the first pic and the resulting wood pile in the second... :chores-chopwood:

Three 60 footers and one 20 footer...

IMG_2130.jpeg

IMG_2179.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1