Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

wallfish
19 hours ago, TonyToro Jr. said:

wet heavy snow the snow just got too heavy for my single stage blower on the C-145

Try going faster and load it up with snow. Going slow and easy will definitely clog it more. Practice with different speeds. But sometimes it's just too wet and will clog up no matter what.

26 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

If I want to make a replacement as opposed to buying one, should I make it to look like the original? Yes

It sounds like there are ways to make this work better, ? but I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. If you're referring to my description earlier, that was for the back of the blower housing where the lift rod connects to it. Not the flag

Do you have any pictures? Open that file you replied to! Plenty of pics and dimensions of the flag and rod

What is the purpose of the flag shape?  To allow for connection into the hole on the rock shaft lever and not bind on other parts while it's moving.

I assume that it goes up and connects to the lift arm YES or the chain, NO but don't see how it can lift the blower unless it's actually the lift pushing down on it...  YES  in a sense but pushing forward, not down. There are 2 arms on the rock shaft. One lifts and lowers up and down like a deck or snow plow. The other pushes or pulls horizontally to lift and lower attachments on the front or rear of the tractor. Like snow blower or tiller

Mine will be going on a tractor with hydraulic lift also, if that makes a difference.NO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WHGuy413

Glad @WheelHorse_Kid was prepared for the snow because my tractor is in pieces in the garage. He wasn’t home this weekend so I had to jump on his trusty C-121 and plow out our driveway. I think he’s going to be pleasantly surprised how well this beast does. Even the heavy wet snow out by the road from the town plows and the melt were no match. But cmon it’s wheel horse we all knew it could and would do it.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

TonyToro Jr.
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Try going faster and load it up with snow. Going slow and easy will definitely clog it more. Practice with different speeds. But sometimes it's just too wet and will clog up no matter what.

Yes, the snow was very heavy and a little wet and next time we have a storm I will try what you say.

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice work @Andy N. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, davem1111 said:

If I want to make a replacement as opposed to buying one, should I make it to look like the original?  It sounds like there are ways to make this work better, but I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing.

John has answered your questions.   Yes, the forward force on the lift/push rod is what lifts the blower as it can not move forward but  pivots where it is attached to the tractor and is forced to rotate up.     I tend to use the material I have to do my fab work.    I no longer have single stage snow throwers but in the past I have made missing flags and push rods from unistrut that I had on my scrap pile.   It is important to note the flag device must be inserted in the top hole of the lower lift lever.   This gives the correct amount of forward motion so the blower lifts with minimum amount of force and the correct rotation of the rock shaft and correct lift of the blower.    With the blower and the rock shaft lowered, the distance from the center of the top hole in the rock shaft to the center of the bent lug on the bottom of the blower is the dimension you must use to build a connecting device.    It doesn't really matter how you get there, but this length must be correct.      When I built mine, drilled the unistrut and attached it to the blower lug.  Made two plates from flat bar that were attached by a bolt to each side of the lower rock shaft lever.    With the blower and the rock shaft lowered, clamped the side plates to the unistrut bar.  Took it off and welded it.

A crude sketch. of my redneck blower lifter.  The X dim is not important.   I made mine longer than the WH flag.  It worked fine.

104_2800.JPG.8d6da1ee1fd3b3086b98cee21d1579b0.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
42 minutes ago, Andy N. said:

plowing bliss! 418-A didn't miss a beat.

Hydro with foot control is the bomb.      Thanks for the ride.

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

we all love our WH plows and blowers -- but just in case you are thinking of an upgrade  -- or maybe just want to be entertained while you are house bound on some cold winter nights  -- here is  a few minutes of entertainment -- or perhaps just some extra envy that we dont all have a part time job to play out in the snow? Check out this link - 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Thanks for the ride @Andy N., heard on the Tv that another big snow maker is on the way to your neck of the woods.   :occasion-snowman:

• Like 2

Tonytoro416
8 hours ago, Andy N. said:

Today's snow clearing was brought to you by a '89 520-H and 42" snowblower...enjoy!

Letting the onan sing.  Seems they love a little load on em.  Or maybe it’s me that loves the way they sound with a little load on them lol 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Tonytoro416 said:

Letting the onan sing.  Seems they love a little load on em.  Or maybe it’s me that loves the way they sound with a little load on them lol 

I've heard several people say that. 

@JCM I know he likes a good hard working 520 too.  

• Like 2

Andy N.
12 hours ago, Tonytoro416 said:

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

Roger R

Noticing the plugged chute clean out.  I use WD-40 with silicone, coat the inside of the discharge chute. Seems to help in my case when the snow is heavy and wet. 

Lane Ranger

Well we had some snow this am and flurries off and on.  I got my 60 year old Wheel Horsr 854 with my 1962 42 inch snowplow out to do some work on the driveway this morning.

All worked fine !  The handle and clutch on the right side of the snowplow does get into the back of your leg when you have it angled to the right (that must have been one reason Wheel Horse changed the snowplow handle for angling the plow a couple years later.

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!!! 

One question - Where's the front snow plow? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Colby G
6 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Nice!!! 

One question - Where's the front snow plow? :confusion-confused:

I have a bolens plow, but never got the time to fabricate it to work

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Colby G

I finally got the seat mounted to my mount I've been meaning to do. Took me a couple days, still needs some welding.

17052631506363430495831073313103.jpg

17052631748322848025221873273820.jpg

Edited by Colby G
  • Like 4

Monstrosity

I added somefoot panels for my son off another tractor need to freashen them up. Got newer rubbers on the back but now they dont hold air.... Wheel weights I have the mounting studs are too short so thats next trip to the hardware store along with coated cable for the snowblower shute direction control. The sears is next on the chopping block for fresh paint, going with ford blue and white , seaform green has got to go.20240114_133500.jpg.da12ebc047aef873d299f04cdd07e348.jpg20240114_133359.jpg.30074a32f8ff072160a12092d7266c61.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

rjg854
3 hours ago, Monstrosity said:

20240114_133359.jpg.30074a32f8ff072160a12092d7266c61.jpg

You should have the extra panels that go on that blower ;)

• Like 1

Tuneup

Finally winterized. Moved the Snapper rider and 516 to the shed. Brought out the old '77 C120 and let her run around the yard for a while. Started easily with 'the bulb'. The Restored C125 got pushed out for some sun - battery is just too old and gone. Finally removed the 520 into the garage for her restoration. Bought her for the 48" deck I restored for mowing but can't ignore that Eaton. First task is to apply weld to the exhaust studs and get that Onan checked out. There she sits.

IMG_0223.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3