Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

mrc

hi matt monte,

i like the white wh decals. 

they really pop against the red paint! 

i assume they are custom made? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Got something neat in the post 📫 today. 

20240106_173716.jpg.9000d7add56cc119eaabf6e6707a7e82.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@peter lena  chains on , battery tenders on , reflector bulb under engines , extra  rear weights , road tested  to verify , everything works , plow blades oil slick ,  ready to go , Pete

• Like 4

davem1111
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Got something neat in the post 📫 today. 

Probably showing my stupidity here, but....  WHAT ARE THOSE? B)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Probably showing my stupidity here, but....  WHAT ARE THOSE? B)

I wouldn't have known either. 😁  

These are the base Chute  pivot blocks for a Tall Chute snowblower.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool

I just acquired this tractor. Added the snowblower I've had sitting here.

I know I'm missing something to lift it but not sure what. 

Attached a pic of the one piece I have.

20240107_124517.jpg

20240107_130229.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Lucky you have the "flag".   Now you need the lift/push rod.      This can be a length of 3/4" pipe with the blower end mashed flat and a drilled hole to fit on the lug at the bottom rear of the blower.   The flag rod slips in the other end and attaches to the top hole in the lower lift lever.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I just noticed, the front housing extensions are on backwards on your blower.       The tractor will steer much better if you flip them side to side so the front leading edge of the extension is slicing into the snow and not pushing the tractor to the side.IMG_4136.JPG.939e998c88ed58de02630c09f28f777b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

wallfish
33 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I know I'm missing something to lift it but not sure what. 

Here's what the original tube looks like.

th.jpg.62a5a5b5db6fd17d1f69ec71f253a057.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Here's what the original tube looks like.

th.jpg.62a5a5b5db6fd17d1f69ec71f253a057.jpg

You wouldn't by any chance have any dimensions for that do you?

wallfish
6 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

You wouldn't by any chance have any dimensions for that do you?

Not sure for that tractor but you can attach the flag and measure from the pin on the blower to the edge of the flag.

I would prop the blower up about 4" and leave the lift lever in the up position too. That should give you a "good enough" measurement to allow the blower to float with the ground and definitely be raised with the lever.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

wallfish

If you do it with the blower down and the lever down it won't allow the blower to go down any further and it will also lift too high and hit the front axle before being able to lock the lever in the up position.

Afterwards you can fine adjust the height a little bit if needed by adding washers or shaft collar to the flag rod. Probably shouldn't need to.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:     Like John said.   For the couple tubes and flags that I have made,  I started with a pipe that was longer than needed.         I never welded that flat bar on mine.   I flattened the end, drilled the hole, and bent the angle.     Then with the tube connected to the blower and the flag connected to the lower lift lever, held them side by side and marked the tube at the front of the flag.

Another mod I always did to single stage blowers.

After shearing off cotter pins and hairpin clips, I drilled out the pin hole on the blower lug for a 1/4" bolt and nylock nut to hold the lift tube on the lug.

Use a flat washer above the 1/4" bolt.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try tomorrow. 

Maybe even get my weights and chains on as well.

• Like 2

cleat
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Not sure for that tractor but you can attach the flag and measure from the pin on the blower to the edge of the flag.

I would prop the blower up about 4" and leave the lift lever in the up position too. That should give you a "good enough" measurement to allow the blower to float with the ground and definitely be raised with the lever.

I have this file that I downloaded from somewhere a while ago.

Lift rod and flag for 42 snowblower.docx

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Thanks. I was just looking that over. I noticed the flag part in that file is a bit offset. Mine is flat. Will that be an issue for me?

Sorry. Disregard this. Mine is offset.

Edited by Oldskool

wallfish
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

After shearing off cotter pins and hairpin clips,

Yeah, that area for the lift connection to the blower certainly wasn't their best design.

Wouldn't it work better if the rod were horizontal? Like 2 tabs on the blower and a 1/2" pin could go through all 3 holes (2 tabs and the lift pole )

Or maybe even a smaller version similar to the plow hitch with a horizontal bar on the end of the pole. 2 little swinging clamps to keep it in the slots.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Yeah, that area for the lift connection to the blower certainly wasn't their best design.

Wouldn't it work better if the rod were horizontal? Like 2 tabs on the blower and a 1/2" pin could go through all 3 holes (2 tabs and the lift pole )

Or maybe even a smaller version similar to the plow hitch with a horizontal bar on the end of the pole. 2 little swinging clamps to keep it in the slots.

You Monday Morning quarterbacks......where were you 50   60 years ago when Elmer needed back yard coaching.   :unsure:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

rjg854

Wasn't the best design, but it's lasted 50 years.   :teasing-neener:

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
21 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Mine is flat. Will that be an issue for me?

All the flags I built were flat.       Some of the flags and poles were made from unistrut.

PAC Unistrut Deep Channel | Feld Fire

• Like 1

TonyToro Jr.

Got to blow some snow with my C-145 auto and 310-8 about 7” of wet heavy snow the snow just got too heavy for my single stage blower on the C-145 so I switched over to our big Ariens 1332 then did 2 rounds of clean up one right after we finished then one just about at 5:30

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Andy N.

Went to my sister's house this past weekend in KY for a holiday visit. While I was there, I did some routine and non routine maintenance on her '86 417-A. Routine included oil and filter changes, chassis and deck lubes, and blade sharpening. Non routine included changing out the front 6" wheels that it came with, to 8" wheels that it should've had. I also changed out the lift actuator with one that i rebuilt due to typical shaft leaking. I bought this machine for her 2 years ago and she's put 30 hours on it since then. I was impressed with how good the POR-15 head up on the deck underside and how quiet the spindles still were after being rebuilt with new bearings 2 years ago.

IMG_4370.JPG.b09c8344d0e427d231cb31664b234062.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG.cbd23b67054ca7c02c73a529b14ec8de.JPG

IMG_4364.JPG.894ccaa10caa357c5f956519472cc647.JPG

Edited by Andy N.
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 2

davem1111
22 hours ago, cleat said:

I have this file that I downloaded from somewhere a while ago.

Lift rod and flag for 42 snowblower.docx 462.01 kB · 13 downloads

Hope that helps a bit.

This is great info - thanks!

On 1/7/2024 at 2:11 PM, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:     Like John said.   For the couple tubes and flags that I have made,  I started with a pipe that was longer than needed.         I never welded that flat bar on mine.   I flattened the end, drilled the hole, and bent the angle.     Then with the tube connected to the blower and the flag connected to the lower lift lever, held them side by side and marked the tube at the front of the flag.

Another mod I always did to single stage blowers.

After shearing off cotter pins and hairpin clips, I drilled out the pin hole on the blower lug for a 1/4" bolt and nylock nut to hold the lift tube on the lug.

Use a flat washer above the 1/4" bolt.

I picked up a single-stage blower in the bulk purchase I made a few months ago, and hadn't tried to do anything with it yet. But I don't think I've seen the "flag" part anywhere. The tube is still attached to the blower but without the flag.

If I want to make a replacement as opposed to buying one, should I make it to look like the original?  It sounds like there are ways to make this work better, but I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. Do you have any pictures? What is the purpose of the flag shape?  I assume that it goes up and connects to the lift arm or the chain, but don't see how it can lift the blower unless it's actually the lift pushing down on it...  Mine will be going on a tractor with hydraulic lift also, if that makes a difference.