Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Lug studs are the first modification that should be  done to a tractor. Should be a rule somewhere. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Absolutely agreed. Every one of ours has them.  

Rules:

1. Procure Wheelhorses. 

2. Install lug stud bolts.  

3. Blah. Blah. Blah. Whatever....

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut
20 hours ago, METAL BENDER said:

I checked the oil last week and all was well but now it is jet black so I think the gasket was blown for a few hours leaking internally then it gave out today. The motor has been worked before as the clearance on my plug to the piston top is so close I am using a short tail plug so I think I'm going to need a new head . A new head on an old motor could cause more problems down the road unless I rebuild the whole motor

If you are wanting to spend some money to buy a new or rebuilt engine without checking over the engine you have then by all means do it. @richmondred01 does a fine job on engine rebuilds and could fix you up.

I would suggest you remove the cylinder head and take a look first. It may just be a new gasket and flattening the head is all that is needed.

Your engine oil color change could be a product of a blown head gasket, when the piston is going down it will create a suction on the head gasket flaw and suck in some dirt.

Your spark plug should be located between the intake and exhaust valves and would not make contact with the piston at all. The correct spark plug is a Champion H-10.

Please pull the head off and post some pictures of what you find.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
20 hours ago, METAL BENDER said:

A new head on an old motor could cause more problems down the road unless I rebuild the whole motor.

I was wondering about this yesterday too. 

I've heard of a new/reman head WITH VALVES IN IT causing an increasing in sealing in the engine thereby raising the possibilities of pressure on the lower end such as piston rings. 

Having no valves in a flathead I'm not sure why a new head or planing the existing one would hurt the engine.  

D_Mac

I have a silly question. I would like to install those LED lights on my 310-8. When ordering the PAR-36 8w lights do i need to do any other mods to the tractor to get them to fit or function properly? Thanks 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

I have a silly question. I would like to install those LED lights on my 310-8. When ordering the PAR-36 8w lights do i need to do any other mods to the tractor to get them to fit or function properly? Thanks 

Depends whether that particular 310 is one with the lower powered amp alternator or not.  

If the lamps are connected directly to the battery you should be fine.   

• Thanks 1

kpinnc
8 hours ago, D_Mac said:

The 8 watt versions have less amp load than incandescent bulbs, so if your machine already has lights then you should be fine.

Be sure to run a ground strap from the hood to the frame or engine. Using the hinge alone for a ground can make the LEDs flicker. And anything with a higher rating than 4500K will have a blueish tint to it. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OoPEZoO

Eric is correct……LED lights don’t like the unregulated AC from the low powered charging systems on the mid-eighty’s tractors.  I tried to put a set on my 314-8 and they would overheat and shut down after a few mins of use.  I have since swapped the stator over to a 15A system with a regulator and they work fine now.  I could have rewired the lights to run directly off of the battery, but I wanted the higher amp charging system because I needed it to handle the electrical load of a Johnny bucket as well

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd

Merry Christmas!

IMG_4180.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Colby G

Could any of these pulleys work on the rear end of my charger 12? (Yes, I'm still stuck on this project. Can't figure out what rear end it is yet... In case anyone out there can, the model number of the hydro is 90-2070) I will also include pictures of the hydro shaft. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20231229-191126.png

Screenshot_20231229-191057.png

Screenshot_20231229-190955.png

Screenshot_20231229-190601.png

17038954531768188416072285078550.jpg

• Like 1

76c12091520h
3 hours ago, Colby G said:

Could any of these pulleys work on the rear end of my charger 12? (Yes, I'm still stuck on this project. Can't figure out what rear end it is yet... In case anyone out there can, the model number of the hydro is 90-2070) I will also include pictures of the hydro shaft. Any info wouldimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402f be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20231229-191126.png

Screenshot_20231229-191057.png

Screenshot_20231229-190955.png

Screenshot_20231229-190601.png

17038954531768188416072285078550.jpg

The pulleys in these pictures are for rear engine riders......

• Like 1

Colby G
13 minutes ago, 76c12091520h said:

The pulleys in these pictures are for rear engine riders......

Goes to show how much I know 😂 I was thinking they might work because they had the same keyway. Do you know which one would work? I have a guy looking for one for me but I'm looking around in the meantime in case it's not the right one.

• Like 1

oliver2-44
On 12/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, WHX?? said:

Valves looked a little dicey after lapping

20231225_161714.jpg

@WHX?? I’m interested in the valve lapping attachment you have in you drill. I’ve never seen one like that. Looks like it sure would beat a hand lapped. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@WHX?? I’m interested in the valve lapping attachment you have in you drill. I’ve never seen one like that. Looks like it sure would beat a hand lapped. 

It was cheap in the jungle. Works just ok. There is a clutch of sorts in it that likes to slip. It came with a bunch of suction cups but mostly for very large valves. Getting the cup to stick to the valve is problematic.

I got it mainly to do a poor man's seat re-facer. 

20220205_164351.jpg

20220130_173117.jpg

This works too a guy just needs to shorten the hand lapper. A short wood dowel. 

20150827_164944.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 5

19richie66
12 hours ago, Colby G said:

Goes to show how much I know 😂 I was thinking they might work because they had the same keyway. Do you know which one would work? I have a guy looking for one for me but I'm looking around in the meantime in case it's not the right one.

I found it. Pm’ed you pictures. :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

20231229_202739.jpg.38279b0b93cadfa83482ae254588ec1f.jpgStarted the process of saving these '55 rims.

20231230_020911.jpg.ef6272009dfff9c9049fa6b4b0aaa734.jpg

Can already tell...

they will be sexy.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

pfrederi

I have been working on a C-160-8 that i got cheap at auction last Spring.  Got her running and put her away to be this winter project.  Drove her back up here a couple weeks ago and started disassembly.  I have worked on a bunch of WHs but the "stuckiness" of just about every part on this one is really getting old.  Absolutely nothing comes apart with out a lot of effort.  Latest road block is the flywheel screen.  i actually managed to get all the shroud bolts out with out breaking any but I can't move any of the screen screws.  A few days of Kroil, heat, whacking with a brass hammer and several tries with the impact driver ...nada...

IMG_0906.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Sad 4

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

A few days of Kroil, heat, whacking with a brass hammer and several tries with the impact driver ...nada...

Time to throw it on the drill press?

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Kroil, heat, whacking with a brass hammer and several tries with the impact driver ...nada...

Those impact drivers are very cool and my last resort before cutting, drilling and grinding. There have been fails, however.

Try tightening to see if you get any movement? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Try tightening to see if you get any movement? 

That's my go-to as well. 

If the screws are beyond saving you could also weld a nut to the outside of the screw head. 

The nut allows MUCH better grip and the heat will often help breaking the rust.  

• Like 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Started the process of saving these '55 rims.

20231230_020911.jpg.ef6272009dfff9c9049fa6b4b0aaa734.jpg

E tank Craig? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Had to back off on the heating...started some stuff inside the shroud to smoldering

Good idea on tightening will reverse the impact driver when the smoke clears....

• Like 5

Handy Don
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

when the smoke clears

Always an interesting time...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1