Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Hi Mark,  It pushes the tractor backwards.  It spins as designed with the sharp edge of the tines leading.   

Keeping in mind I haven't run a tiller since I was a teen ...

Is there a set of pros and cons to having the rotation one way or the other given the weight of the tractor ?

RE: Would the dirt fly out of control if going the other way?

Or was there other reasons for that direction of twist?

Ed Kennell

My tiller is a modified walk behind that I mounted to a WH plow frame.   The rotation was dictated by the location of the existing tiller drive pulley as it had to align with the WH PTO.

I use mine in both directions depending on the situation.

When moving forward, the tiller digs deep into the soil.      The tractor wheels follow the tiller leaving tracks.

Going backwards, the tiller tends to lift with a more shallow till.  Of course, the tiller follows the tractor leaving no tracks.

I use mine a lot to dig trenches around buildings and plaIMG_5566.JPG.acaa44cf5a2770a3c08944ee30990192.JPGnt beds.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Colby G

I got my 1st wheel horse with a hydro transmission and was wondering if anyone could give me info on how they work? 

• Like 1

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

My tiller is a modified walk behind that I mounted to a WH plow frame.   The rotation was dictated by the location of the existing tiller drive pulley as it had to align with the WH PTO.

I use mine in both directions depending on the situation.

When moving forward, the tiller digs deep into the soil.      The tractor wheels follow the tiller leaving tracks.

Going backwards, the tiller tends to lift with a more shallow till.  Of course, the tiller follows the tractor leaving no tracks.

I use mine a lot to dig trenches around buildings and plaIMG_5566.JPG.acaa44cf5a2770a3c08944ee30990192.JPGnt beds.

Great idea Ed.

i have my Tiller ( also previously a walk behind) on the Rear with its own Engine.

It sounds a good idea of combinating both together.

My reartiller Throttle must be handled by turning myself, what is not the best for my Back, but it works also fine.

i can also lift it with the lever but to control how its working, i must continousely turn myself completly.

I like the idea having both on just one Engine ahead.

thinkering about the same idea as you allready did.

• Like 1

953 nut
56 minutes ago, Colby G said:

I got my 1st wheel horse with a hydro transmission and was wondering if anyone could give me info on how they work? 

Basically the hydraulic pump / direction control / speed control / hydraulic motor is a one piece unit that connects to the transaxle by a reduction gear. You should run the engine at a consistent speed at or near wide open throttle. Changes in direction or speed will be made using the direction control lever. NEVER operate a hydro transmission at low engine RPMs, you could overheat the pump very quickly.

• Like 1

Colby G
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Basically the hydraulic pump / direction control / speed control / hydraulic motor is a one piece unit that connects to the transaxle by a reduction gear. You should run the engine at a consistent speed at or near wide open throttle. Changes in direction or speed will be made using the direction control lever. NEVER operate a hydro transmission at low engine RPMs, you could overheat the pump very quickly.

So what if the shifter is hard to move? I am having this problem, and thank you for the other info

Edited by Colby G

953 nut
2 hours ago, Colby G said:

So what if the shifter is hard to move? I am having this problem, and thank you for the other info

2 hours ago, Colby G said:

What type hydro do you have?  Sundstrand?  Eaton 700?   Eaton 1100?  What model Wheel Horse are we talking about?

Colby G
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

What type hydro do you have?  Sundstrand?  Eaton 700?   Eaton 1100?  What model Wheel Horse are we talking about?

I'm not quite sure what kind of hydro, but it's not the original, I just put it in a 1969 charger 12. I will attach a picture if that will help.

IMG_20231104_140110.jpg

pfrederi

Sunstrand Hydrogear That type was used on Chargers and electros. 

You want some resistance on the forward backward control Maintains speed,,

If it is very hard to move loosen the big nut (orange arrow) use 5/8' wrench to loosen the squared threaded shaft Blue arrow .

IMG_3301.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tonytoro416

Finally got enough time to try out my Brinly plow. Bought it last fall for 25 bucks I think. Refurbed it last winter and put it in the dirt today for the first time. It was a blast and the 416 pulled it no problem 

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7

Ed Kennell
8 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

turning myself, what is not the best for my Back,

My entire back and neck has zero turning ability.     I need front mounted equipment or very good mirrors and cameras.

• Heart 1

Colby G
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Sunstrand Hydrogear That type was used on Chargers and electros. 

You want some resistance on the forward backward control Maintains speed,,

If it is very hard to move loosen the big nut (orange arrow) use 5/8' wrench to loosen the squared threaded shaft Blue arrow .

IMG_3301.JPG

That didn't seem to do anything. It moves a little bit, but then stops.

Edited by Colby G

WHX??
4 hours ago, Andy N. said:

Cleaned up some wheels and put on new shoes! And new bearings on the fronts!

IMG_3344.JPG.f931950ccc426e2ee2284cf857963cb5.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG.825497013ccfc29b239c8fe099a9270d.JPG

Lookin to me Andy you just got the dirty at plow day!:lol:

• Haha 2

pfrederi
16 hours ago, Colby G said:

That didn't seem to do anything. It moves a little bit, but then stops.

When you move the speed control lever does the white plastic plate (circled) move up and down?

Take a picture of yours

IMG_3301.JPG.fcaeeaf916f768b461ef131d7cac746b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
22 hours ago, Colby G said:

I just put it in a 1969 charger 12.

37 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

When you move the speed control lever does the white plastic plate (circled) move up and down?

Was the shifter working properly on the tractor you removed the hydro from? If the plastic cam follower is not aligned properly or has cracked that would be the most likely problem.

Colby G
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Take a picture of yours

IMG_3301.JPG.fcaeeaf916f768b461ef131d7cac746b.JPG

No it does not. 

IMG_20231105_120656.jpg

953 nut

you have a  LOT  of tension in that spring. compare it to the photo Paul @pfrederi sent of his. You may want to start by backing off on the sprind a few turns.

• Like 2

Colby G
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

you have a  LOT  of tension in that spring. compare it to the photo Paul @pfrederi sent of his. You may want to start by backing off on the sprind a few turns.

How do I do that?

Ed Kennell
On 11/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, Colby G said:

I'm not quite sure what kind of hydro, but it's not the original, I just put it in a 1969 charger 12. I will attach a picture if that will help.

IMG_20231104_140110.jpg

You also need to close the tow valve.   It should be L-R for towing and front-rear for driving.    If that doesn't work, try the reverse.  Been a long time since I had a Sundstrand.

• Like 1

Colby G
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You also need to close the tow valve.   It should be L-R for towing and front-rear for driving.    If that doesn't work, try the reverse.  Been a long time since I had a Sundstrand.

So this may sound like a dumb question, but how do I close the tow valve, and what is the tow valve?

EB-80/8inPA
10 minutes ago, Colby G said:

So this may sound like a dumb question, but how do I close the tow valve, and what is the tow valve?

Well, now you’ve done it!  You’ve just broken this forum’s long standing record of having nobody ever ask a dumb question.

Now, the tow valve is a real little bugger that likes to stick and causes great unhappiness.  I hope that helps.

You need to open it to push Sundstrand equipped tractors, possibly others, too, and close it to operate under power, if I ain’t got that backwards. Someone who knows what they’re talking about will no doubt be along directly with a better answer.

• Haha 2

Handy Don
On 11/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, Colby G said:

Google "hydrostatic transmission” and start reading!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

We've been digging out several stumps that were in a cluster where the driveway used to border the forest. 
After the barn was built the trees stayed in place because I wanted to keep them. 
Issue there was the power company couldn't run the incoming line unless those trees were cut out. 

For a few months the stumps have been a minor bump in the yard. 
We want to get em out before snowfall so it'll be easier to plow.  
Made some headway. Started with the backhoe. Rest of the work is with shovels, hand hoe, and huge crowbar.  Roots will be cut with a sawzall.  

IMG_20231105_090747_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231105_091504_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Colby G
13 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Well, now you’ve done it!  You’ve just broken this forum’s long standing record of having nobody ever ask a dumb question.

Now, the tow valve is a real little bugger that likes to stick and causes great unhappiness.  I hope that helps.

You need to open it to push Sundstrand equipped tractors, possibly others, too, and close it to operate under power, if I ain’t got that backwards. Someone who knows what they’re talking about will no doubt be along directly with a better answer.

Now I have a few more questions.

1: where is the tow valve located?

2: how do I close it?

3: would closing it make the shifter easier to move?