Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

She followed me home today....IMG_0847_33pct.jpg.02db56ff7304220c900b93dc76acebb1.jpgIMG_0848_33pct.jpg.0cef029cc04a3db84129b58bd9abaf54.jpg

REALLY looking forward to seeing how this one goes.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

davem1111
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

REALLY looking forward to seeing how this one goes.  

Me too, man!   So, I get the feeling there will be tears shed if I decided to part this 520-8 out, so I'd like to fix it up. But so far I've only done some half-a$$ed rattle can painting. If I'm going to do this one I'd like to do a decent job, but don't have the experience.  I know this is the right place for advice on restorations, so I'm hoping to get some good advice (but I need to do it within budget, which right now is pretty small. Maybe I can sell the 416-H I have to fund it.

So far all I've done is pulled the deck and sprayed some PB Blaster on the blade nuts. The spindles seem to be in good shape, so that's a big plus. It's missing the deck belt covers but I have a spare pair from another 48" SD that was too far gone to rescue.

Mostly I need advice on proper rust removal, prep and painting of the tins. I have a cheap air gun from Harbor Freight and a mid-sized compressor, and a can of Regal Red I bought when Rural King was out of rattle cans but had that. Haven't tried it yet. I'd like to get a really nice gloss on this baby.

Also, need to replace the starter relay, and the engine is doing something weird where the governor keeps revving and dropping over and over again, mostly at low throttle. Hoping it's just the carb. Tires are dry rotted but they all hold air except the right front.

Maybe I'll start a restore thread on this. I may do some minor work, get it running well, and sit on it till I move and retire in a few years.

BTW, it only has about 620 hours on it.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

c-series don

@davem1111 I’ve now done three frame up restorations with the guidance and help of my brother. He is a perfectionist in the trade. One of the things I learned from him is it’s all in the prep. He won’t paint anything until it’s properly prepared. Pretty much everything is glass beaded or sand blasted down to bare metal. Then a good primer that is sanded until it’s baby’s ass smooth. Paint, wet sand and clear coat. Yes it’s a lot of work but the end result is worth the effort. Don’t get me wrong, not everything I paint is done to this extreme. However you can’t expect good results without proper preparation. 
It’s unfortunate that since the early eighties and especially into the nineties Wheel Horse didn’t prime or prep the metal properly. This is why you see paint peeling off in sheets. You didn’t see that with the older tractors, it basically had to ware off!! Didn’t peel. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, c-series don said:

since the early eighties and especially into the nineties Wheel Horse didn’t prime or prep the metal properly. This is why you see paint peeling off in sheets. You didn’t see that with the older tractors, it basically had to ware off!! Didn’t peel

That's when the gummint mandated Low VOC paint came on the scene.  

It was extremely difficult for manufacturers to get most paints to stick.  

SOOOOO many issues......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

gummint

Spell check...... gumit as in gum it up.

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, davem1111 said:

governor keeps revving and dropping

Common dirty carb symptom on the Onans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Maybe a leak in the 2 piece intake manifold on the surging Onan?

• Like 1

davem1111
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Common dirty carb symptom on the Onans.

1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Maybe a leak in the 2 piece intake manifold on the surging Onan?

Two very likely culprits - will be checking those out closely.  I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to spray the carb, or should I just tear it down to clean it?  I've done this to lots of carbs.  However, I've rarely rebuilt a carb, and I'm wondering how you know it's needed (other than the obvious like gummed up beyond cleaning, messed up jets, etc.) ?  Or are those the only times it's necessary, otherwise a good cleaning will do the trick?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

rebuilt a carb, 

a good cleaning

These two things should be considered identical. The same. Interchangeable.

"A good cleaning" should include removing the bowl and replacing that gasket at the very least.

While you're in there you might as well throw a new needle and seat and finish doing the rest of the job. 

In the case of an Onan 20 to clean out the bowl you need to split the carb. 

I've only done a couple but it's super easy.

What I understand on those engines the manifold is far more of a concern than the carburetor as far as disassembly.

• Thanks 1

lynnmor

Spraying an assembled carburetor will do exactly nothing.  A Nikki carburetor used on Wheel Horse Onans needs to be taken apart.  You can try removing the top of the carburetor while in place, but be careful that nothing falls inside.  Often this shortcut will get it going with no purchase of parts.  

If you want to do a complete cleaning, the intake with the carburetor needs to be pulled.  With the intake off, remove the carburetor from it and inspect the intake for leaks between the two halves as well of cuts in the edge where heat shields may have been rubbing.  Leaks between halves are rare, cuts in the edge happen often.  If you have those cuts, cut some clearance in the heat shields.  There is a welch plug just above the idle mixture screw that you can pull to clean behind it, or try blasting holes to flush it out, often it is clean behind it if you want to take a chance.  Be sure that you have new genuine Onan gaskets and a small 1/4” drive torque wrench for reassembly.  

I always suggest a valve adjustment when you go to the work of removing the intake.  Also it is a good time to bead blast the exhaust and paint with a high temperature paint.  Depending on the year you may need two or three gaskets for the valve covers and two exhaust gaskets.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

BrianKoch

More chore work!

467ADFAB-C916-4075-972F-B8B671A2597A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor
50 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Many moons ago I thought it would be neato to have a mid mount grader blade.

@Chris G helped me out with sourcing one. 

Got it here. Showed it to the BBT Trina person and immediately lost possession of said neato to have mid mount grader blade. 

But.....

She does GREAT work with it maintaining our front dooryahd.  

I mentioned the other day we'd had some heavier than normal water flows screw up the driveway.  

IMG_20230602_171525_HDR.jpg.e39eb2572d311619fc9709578cc0f454.jpg

It appears like the highway department is donating the bulk of the water.  Can you get your road grading department to do some creative work so that the water can find a new home?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

It appears like the highway department is donating the bulk of the water.  Can you get your road grading department to do some creative work so that the water can find a new home?

Yeah they're gonna have to do some ditch creation and maintenance across the street. 

dotcomdz

I spent 2 days cleaning up, tuning up, greasing up the commando 800 I had listed for 150.00

I was amazed at how strong this motor runs afterwards. I knew it ran but I hadn't done an effort with it. So I changed the listing 400 obo and there is video on wheelhorsefanatics also its on market place since can't post video here if anyone's interested.

Then if I can get rid of it and another brand one I have. I think I can pick up a 520H with snow thrower deck and blade. It could be my keeper.

• Like 2

WHGuy413

Took a ride with my buddy this evening. He purchased his first Wheel Horse tonight. I think it’s a 551 with the wrong engine.  Hoping he joins here. His son has been talking non stop about them since he drove one of my sons tractors a few weeks ago at the show we went to.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

johnnymag3
On 6/6/2023 at 8:41 PM, Sparky said:

used the clear/yellow line only from the pump to the carb

No clamps???

I see seepage in your future...and maybe a fire on hot items....you may want to add at least spring clamps....  

Just a suggestion....  :)  john

• Like 2

squonk

I would throw that yellow line as far as I could! 

• Like 1

rjg854

Why do you say that Mike?  I've had it on a couple of my tractors for better than 2 years with no problems.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Just now, rjg854 said:

Why do you say that Mike?  I've had it on a couple of my tractors for better than 2 years with no problems.  :confusion-shrug:

I can't speak for Mike but I've had that yellow line on couple tractors. 

It went brittle and stiff after about 2 seasons. 

That's using strictly non ethanol gas.  

I've since switched to the blue line. 

Better... but it isn't the solution.  Maybe 3 to 4 years.  

rjg854

I have noticed that it became stiff, but it doesn't leak.  I may have to change them once I change the filter, but my tractors don't get that many hours on them over a season because I have so many.  Each has it own job.  I change gas filters like I change hydro filters, about every 100 hours.

• Like 2

BrianKoch

Gentlemen, 

It appears I have lost my mower deck lift rod :eusa-think: …

Does any one have an extra rod kicking around I could purchase? I have the trunnion and nut, just can’t find the rod!

Thanks!

5FF14914-F924-4660-9F0B-42398D8B792B.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch

squonk
15 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

They usually get rock hard and split at the worst possible time

• Like 1