Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

SylvanLakeWH

:hide:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
42 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Giving me anxiety calling it a “she” and named it Fred :laughing-rolling:

Carol Burnett's breakout role in "Once Upon A Mattress" was as Princess Winifred. If you don't know the show, the character preferred to be called...Fred.  :)

• Excellent 1

Terry M

Ok guys…some of the previous comments are starting to head in the wrong direction…let’s stick to wheelhorse tractors…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

BrianKoch

Towed the ‘68 Charger 12 in stealth mode…just kidding, I got caught in the rain today:

C810711C-3204-41A9-98C6-6C4D85EB3987.jpeg

• Like 6

Horse Newbie
On 9/5/2022 at 4:47 PM, ineedanother said:

Not much today but it was nice to have the day out of the office for the holiday. I did order a set of wheel bearings and a couple other things but got sidetracked with this mess. I'm a bit frugal and not very tolerant of poor engineering and design so several years ago I repurposed a hose reel from one of those carts that don't have enough wheelbase to support the hose and stay upright. Yeah, those ones. 

The problem with that is that I just bolted it to a couple PT balusters pounded into the ground a couple feet. Sturdy enough for the past several years but one of the legs finally gave way. Not well done on my part when I hang 100' of heavy garden hose on it. Fixed now with some repurposed 2" aluminum channel from an old sign post. The cross pieces are just clamped and will be removed once the concrete sets (if the rain holds off long enough) and I'll be good to go again :thumbs:

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

If anybody wants to read about my solution to cheap hose reels see my thread I’m about to put in non tractor related topics…

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Mounted up some tires/tahrs/tie-izz. 

Click for pics... 

• Like 2

sjoemie himself
7 hours ago, Heatingman said:

brushed, seemed easier

Great idea, especially since it's a casting which will never be as smooth as the tins anyway so even if there were some brushstrokes visible I would'nt matter.

Also less messy.. well as long as you don't kick the paintcan over or get paint all over your fingers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

well as long as you don't kick the paint can over or get paint all over your *****

Entire existence.  

• Haha 3

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Heatingman said:

Trans got brushed, seemed easier then trying to plug the openings, and it turned out really well.

Did the same recently on the transaxle, the frame, and hidden parts of the tins. No dealing with overspray, able to work the primer/paint into all the rough surfaces. Used Rustoleum and the brushstrokes mostly leveled out anyway.

• Like 5

WHGuy413

Today the boys and I mowed our 2 1/2 acres of lawn. This is the second time in a week and a half that it’s needed it after not mowing it for close to 6 weeks. It’s amazing what a little rain will do. Alex tackled the biggest piece of it which is around 1 1/2 acres with my 416H with 48” deck, Aiden tackled the side piece which is probably 3/4 of an acre with his 856 and the 36” deck on that and I pulled my trusty 753 out of hibernation and mowed the front yard with it. After I had to go over the front and wind row it with the 416 because it was so thick and a huge mess. Then shockingly my bronco 14 with the Briggs conversion on it fired up (it’s been giving me some trouble and I haven’t had time to fix it) and only gave me 2 quick hiccups and then ran perfect for half an hour while I raked up the windrow and tossed it in the trailer. For those who have been looking for more pictures of my trailer I will be attaching them to my bumps and bruises post from yesterday. 

CFF22EB4-C325-4E5A-86C6-13B0C176E454.jpeg

way to much grass for just over a week. Guess I should ease up on “borrowing” fertilizer from work.

Edited by WHGuy413
  • Like 9

Evguy

I finally got a working proper ignition switch to the house, as well as a regulator, air filter and 1.25 exhaust clamps for the repowered 314-8

Everything is now working well, starts and charging properly. 
I did some  fiddly stuff with headlights and taillights. I need to get tires on and do a bit of welding on a tear at mowing deck adjusting bracket. 

Edited by Evguy
  • Like 6

8ntruck

Today, I learned that NAPA does not stock a direct replacement ball bearing for the flat mule drive pullies.  The Toro dealer had one in $tock.  Got to pull the seals and replace the grease with Red & Sticky before I put it into service.  I'll do the same thing to the V pulley, as long as I have the mule drive apart.  

Morgan got a little exercise today toting a trailer load of tools and saw horses down to the lake house to assemble the picnic table I refinished this summer.

• Like 3

953 nut
4 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

NAPA does not stock a direct replacement ball bearing for the flat mule drive pullies

Bet they can get it for you in a day or two for a whole lot less than Toro.

• Like 4

8ntruck
23 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Bet they can get it for you in a day or two for a whole lot less than Toro.

The counter guy at my local store could not find a cross to match in the NAPA system, so he didn't offer.

I found several sources on line, but, I'm going to need to mow in the next day or two. 

The immediate availability of a bearing at the Toro dealer, plus a 25% discount he gave me, and supporting the local brick and mortar store was why I went that way.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Heatingman
21 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Today, I learned that NAPA does not stock a direct replacement ball bearing for the flat mule drive pullies.  The Toro dealer had one in $tock.  Got to pull the seals and replace the grease with Red & Sticky before I put it into service.  I'll do the same thing to the V pulley, as long as I have the mule drive apart.  

Morgan got a little exercise today toting a trailer load of tools and saw horses down to the lake house to assemble the picnic table I refinished this summer.

Did you order 2?

Bearings are the same for both pulleys (at least on my B80) 

I just ordered new bearings for the front tires, cause I pressed them out to prep for paint and discovered the one wheel had the wrong bearing type for a greased spindle.

4 bearings for about 8 bucks. 

• Like 2

953 nut
11 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

The counter guy at my local store could not find a cross to match in the NAPA system, so he didn't offer.

Always look for the oldest guy at the counter, preferably one with a bit of dirt under his fingernails, they will be able to find it by dimensions rather than application. just ask @squonk about NAPA counter men. , he will give you an earful.          :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Always look for the oldest guy at the counter, preferably one with a bit of dirt under his fingernails, they will be able to find it by dimensions rather than application. just ask @squonk about NAPA counter men. , he will give you an earful.          :twocents-02cents:

I'm pretty sure I had the most experienced counter guy who happened to be working today.  The older counter guy asked the counter guy I was working with a couple of pretty simple questions.  I got the impression that the older guy had not worked there very long.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Sad 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Heatingman said:

Did you order 2?

Bearings are the same for both pulleys (at least on my B80) 

I just ordered new bearings for the front tires, cause I pressed them out to prep for paint and discovered the one wheel had the wrong bearing type for a greased spindle.

Nope.  It looks like the V pulley on my mule drive has been replaced somewhere along the line.  It is a welded stamped steel pulley.  That bearing felt pretty good, so I pulled the seals, flushed the old grease out and repacked it with Red n Tackey grease.

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

by dimensions rather than application

That is the way to go anyway. Or look for the number that is written on the bearing itself.

• Like 1

squonk

I have bearings in the shop for the mule pulleys. Sometimes they are the same size and some pulleys use an odd size. I guess it depended on who the vendor was. I will get you those numbers.

• Like 2

squonk

The common mule pulley bearing is a 6203-12 2RS for the flat idler. The odd bearing found in some V pulleys is a 1630-2RLD-C3. it has the same I.D. and thickness of the 6203 brg. but it has a slightly bigger O.D.

• Like 2

ineedanother
19 hours ago, Heatingman said:

Can you share a link? Thanks

Rob J.

Just fiddling around with some small touches for Boss Man the 1045. Got new shoes up front. They are Carlisles. They are the diamond tread but not the same size diamonds as originals but I think they look great. Threw a set of caps on for good measure. Put new wheel bearings in both front wheels. Now the front is tight and straight. Gitty up and cheers!!

F441187E-69CB-43E4-8932-3CFDA12E800C.jpeg

7599F90C-8192-4769-876B-28521120AC1C.jpeg

• Excellent 8
  • Heart 1