Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

The Freightliner Guy

Hey @Pullstart can you tell me your guide on how to safely take of the shroud on my rj safely 

• Haha 2

OldWorkHorse
48 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I found the beginning of your build, but it looks Ike it became part of “what did you do to your Wheelhorse today?” Threads.  

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=1257HEAVY&page=1&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Yes it did. Kinda got lost over time. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

@The Freightliner Guy     Pullstart would advise you to have a large first aid kit , very  greasy short pants , and flip flops . A hammer to hit at least 2 fingers , 3/8 drill bit to drill a hole  in your body at least once and his daughter to actually do the work..

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 8

The Freightliner Guy

Ahahaha I’m in Draper Utah I don’t know where pull start lives but yeah definitely will use my waffle head hammer to smash my fingers with but hopefully i don’t die and break any windows ahaha

• Haha 4

D_Mac

The drive belt tensioner pulley on the 856 started squeeking pretty bad. Anyone have a good source for a replacement? 

The Freightliner Guy

Have you tried wd4d

ineedanother

Moved the 160 to a parking spot before it goes to the shop to sit beside the organ donor. Neither one have a suitable fender pan but the two should otherwise do well together. Love the hydro and hp. It will stay stock but I'm looking forward to letting them do what horses do...

IMG_0140 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Terry M
12 hours ago, D_Mac said:

The drive belt tensioner pulley on the 856 started squeeking pretty bad. Anyone have a good source for a replacement? 

It’s a little work to drill out and reinstall new rivets…but here is what I use as a replacement bearing.

D26B0389-A222-49B9-9D7C-FDFA78A7CBDA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
22 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Hey @Pullstart can you tell me your guide on how to safely take of the shroud on my rj safely 

Go check out the bumps and bruises threads… you can likely assemble a decent how to guide from all the what not to do’s!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Monstrosity

Pulled the Jacobsen out of its hole. Had to let it go i just didnt have time for it the new owner will make it operational. It was very close to a scrapyard delivery...20220716_112029.jpg.b40889a1bcf0697885e4a808e38bd564.jpg20220716_111727.jpg.b8447037fee2b0ef2dac49ff7a717360.jpg

• Like 6

sjoemie himself
4 hours ago, Monstrosity said:

Jacobsen out of its hole

Any more pictures of that machine? Looks to be a errr.. let's say 'interesting' build :mrgreen:

SylvanLakeWH

Painted the tie rods - finally - on the C 105 and E 141… Rustoleum gloss black.

4FFEFDB3-4553-49B6-9214-D5A95BCDE288.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

squonk
23 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Any more pictures of that machine? Looks to be a errr.. let's say 'interesting' build :mrgreen:

Looks like a golf course tractor.

image.png.d92aee56a8707379834749fdac044112.png

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I spent a little time with the wire brush in my angle grinder de-rusting the PTO bell for Clyde the C-195.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get it primed and painted tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Monstrosity
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Looks like a golf course tractor.

You are correct sir they were made with vehicle parts too a Ford 4 cylinder sm465 transmission and a Dana 60 rear end with Ford bolt pattern (can't remember the size) 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

The PTO bell is now red.  I''ll give it the Greasy Pete treatment and get it put on the tractor in the next couple of days.  The outer bearing has metal shields, so I'm not going to disassemble it for re-greasing.  The inner roller bearing will get Sticky Red grease 'causethat's what I have in stock.

The paint came out well enough that the PTO bell will be the best looking piece on the tractor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

AMC RULES

Greasy Pete (@greasypeteart) / Twitter

• Haha 8

D_Mac

Two for Tuesday. The 1075 and the 856/Forsaken. The 875 is still in the garage hiding in the shade. Man is it hot out today. Going to be warmer tomorrow. 

20220719_154138.jpg

20220719_154125.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

Handy Don

Today retreated to the cool basement workshop and finished tearing down three 60's mower decks--one each RM-366, RM-367, and RM-368!

The hardest parts were getting the gears and bearings off the ends of the cross-shafts. A couple of stubborn frame bolts yesterday finally yielded to the grinder!

Next step is to sort through and pick the best parts to reassemble into one nice deck and the next best set as spare parts. Ideally, I won't need to buy any new bearings--these decks have TEN separate bearings.

Both of the anti-scalp roller brackets are wallowed out on the cleanest deck so I'll be welding on some extra support there. Then prep, paint, and assemble.

Fortunately there were only a couple of small variations I've noticed from year to year and I'm trying to stay with a "best of" for the final unit.

The shell for one "well ventilated" deck will be scrap as well as some broken pulleys. loose bearings, and badly rusted bits. I will for sure have one nice leftover main housing (the large cast iron piece under the shell that holds the spindles) since all three were solid.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

8ntruck

Got the PTO bell greased up and mounted on Clyde the C-195.  Looks to be right, though hard to tell with nothing to test it with.  To this end, I tried to mount my 42" SD deck on the tractor.  

It looks like there is about a 2" difference between the lift post on the hydraulic lift and the position of the mid hitch n the tractor and the corresponding points on the deck.

Fortunately, I have the 48" deck that came with Clyde.  It is in really rough shape, but it looks like the hitch and lift pieces parts should mount on the 42" deck.

Update: I did some digging tonight and discovered that the 48" deck for the C-195 does indeed use a different lever assembly than the 42" deck intended for a 14-8.  The C-195 48" deck uses a part #109780 lever assembly, while the 14-8 42" deck uses a part #102958 lever assembly.

The lever assembly is the part of the deck lift linkage that has the slot where the lift pin fits into.

Got some disassembly, cleaning, maybe painting, and reassembly to do in the near future.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Got the PTO bell greased up and mounted on Clyde the C-195.  Looks to be right, though hard to tell with nothing to test it with.  To this end, I tried to mount my 42" SD deck on the tractor.  

It looks like there is about a 2" difference between the lift post on the hydraulic lift and the position of the mid hitch n the tractor and the corresponding points on the deck.

Fortunately, I have the 48" deck that came with Clyde.  It is in really rough shape, but it looks like the hitch and lift pieces parts should mount on the 42" deck.

I have to put a couple of 2 x 4 blocks under the front of my 42 when I mount it on my lifted 312-8. The height adjust wheels are off set about 1 1/2"  You can also mow a lot higher.

SAM-1001-2.jpg

SAM-1008.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have to put a couple of 2 x 4 blocks under the front of my 42 when I mount it on my lifted 312-8. The height adjust wheels are off set about 1 1/2"  You can also mow a lot higher.

SAM-1001-2.jpg   SAM-1008.jpg

Good idea to compensate for the raised tractor chassis but how did you compensate for the change in geometry for the leveler?

• Like 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Good idea to compensate for the raised tractor chassis but how did you compensate for the change in geometry for the leveler?

I haven't done anything to the leveler, it's usually not used as a finish mower, but have used it to mow the yard, I can't tell much difference from my two 48" decks it just mows higher. 

That second bolt on in the added  wheel bracket is tapped as there is room for a nut .

• Like 1