Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

lynnmor
46 minutes ago, JoeM said:

for tilling I like it better.

I have found that these machines are powerful and weight in all four corners helps a lot with both gear and hydro when tilling.

I've been tilling for 30 years with a hydro, haven't got the hang of it yet.  Just a miserable experience with the tiller intermittently giving a push forward, and constant playing with the motion lever and brake will not help much.  The girl in the video is not to blame for the uncontrollable lurching.

• Like 3

pfrederi
3 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

I do not believe they are adjustable

They are adjustable   to tight grind a bit off to loose buy new ones:P

No ACR on Magnum twins.

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

pfrederi
14 hours ago, JoeM said:

Paul as compared to other WH's 3,4 500 series what makes it possible to use the taller rear tires? How much difference in the frame etc.? I only owned 1 and it was for a very short time.

Frame is wider (1") Front axle has a drop and uses bigger tires. The hoodstand and seat platform are taller than regular horses to give clearance for the tires..  Sunstrand Hydro gear and transaxle are dimensionlly the same as Chargers electros etc.  Only internal difference is input gear (hydro motor to transaxle)

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3
57 minutes ago, pfrederi said:
4 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

I do not believe they are adjustable

They are adjustable   to tight grind a bit off to loose buy new ones:P

Makes sense.....non adjustable...but adjustable...Silly me !!:greetings-clappingyellow:

johnnymag3

What should the gap be for each valve at the cam / lifter

intake_______

exhaust_____

:)

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

What should the gap be for each valve at the cam / lifter

intake_______

exhaust_____

:)

valve.JPG

• Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

Decided to go ahead and clean the starter and grease it good for the k241 engine project.  Sure is quieter now...

spacer.png

a little tricky getting it back together but not too bad. 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

got out the harbo freight small tire changer and got ready to mount some tires on fresh painted wheels for the C81 Covid Project.

I am sure others may have a trick or two but I use a piece of plywood, with a hole drilled to accept the threaded rod, between the rim and changer to stop the changer from running up into the hub area. I put the bearings in afterward. 

1849778493_Frontwheeltireinstall2.jpg.5f5d893c568cd93081f4e94df3096a20.jpg1559615689_Frontwheeltireinstall1.jpg.4e8a312e894beb8febed4a26bcda7061.jpg

• Like 9

Ed Kennell
50 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

grease it good for the k241 engine project.  Sure is quieter now..

Greasy Pete will be pleased.    @peter lena

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

What keeps the rim from spinning on the plywood Joe?  Any tips to keep from scratching paint? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Decided to go ahead and clean the starter and grease it good

Did you put grease in the Bendix gear? That should be a dry lube like graphite powder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

What keeps the rim from spinning

tighten the big nut on the top with the washer between. The bottom against the wood, (the side of the rim is facing out on the tractor), comes out really nice no touch up. the top can be tricky and you get a few skin marks around the edge of the rim against the tire. Nothing a small brush and a spray of paint in a jar won't touch up if one was needing to do so. 

I'll take an after pic or two later when I go back to the shop.

Outside (side against plywood)

760543487_Frontwheeltireinstall5.jpg.67a3004589a590ba8bbc2db1ebc95707.jpg1719742987_Frontwheeltireinstall6.jpg.7bdcc861a2f2f091e8559cdfdc0d73be.jpg

Inside, the one is worse because I tried a different tool and should have stuck to the motorcycle tire tools. I thought afterward that maybe a couple wraps of electrical tape on this area may be the solution. ?? I got a couple more to do and might try that tape idea but that is a couple weeks away. 

1511805542_Frontwheeltireinstall4.jpg.618351392fcc8fab2cd92e0d4823d43f.jpg1146331718_Frontwheeltireinstall3.jpg.6156ba584f076ec0502cd3b98a091113.jpg

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

What keeps the rim from spinning on the plywood Joe?  Any tips to keep form scratching paint? 

I use two tire irons at a time and have leather glove fingers over the ends, works fine. My tire changing station is a piece of 3/4" all thread through the work bench.

1552133393_102_3445(4).JPG.a810a415929cbfc45b311f5eb7f9d70e.JPG102_3444.JPG.055a7a53b366a9d6e0de5b8ae2da2d52.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

:text-thankyouyellow: 'Nuts  I have the same one as Joe. My problem is I don't have a bench to mount it solidly on where a guy can get the swing on it proper and have it it not flying around. Tis a handy thing to have around tho. Especially when I was setting the tires on the flame and wanted to get the stagger right. 

Thanks I will try the plywood thing. 

20200228_092841.jpg

20200228_093246.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 5

peter lena

@ SYLVANLAKE WH , nice work , looks like a wheel horse production line, don't give anyone ideas ! pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Did you put grease in the Bendix gear? That should be a dry lube like graphite powder.

I did grease it.  I could see it getting dirt stuck in it pretty easily.  Thanks for the info on the graphite powder.  I’ll check into it

• Like 2

JoeM
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I use two tire irons at a time and have leather glove fingers over the ends

Sweet........tire iron mittens, great idea. :handgestures-thumbupright: 

I got the perfect place to get a set    (neighbor left a set of girly size leather gloves here, I will have to give them a Michael Jackson look)

@WHX?? I like to leave the tires out in the sun if possible to soften them up a bit too. Those look like Farm Specials, tough tire strong sidewalls.

I have an old axle with a old hub that I bolt the rear wheels on for mounting. I stick it in the vise

• Like 4

JoeM
17 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Painted the lower battery tray

good application for POR-15 ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

Just told the neighbor about the paint on that machine.

Is that the tractor that barked your calf?

20200419_133239.jpg

• Thanks 1

WHX??
1 minute ago, JoeM said:

Or bed liner Sylvia? 

• Thanks 1

WHX??
2 minutes ago, JoeM said:

that barked your calf?

Lol .... yep..... good way to put it!  I do have to work on that jerky clutch one of these days. Doesn't help I have it pullyed for a little more speed! :lol:

SylvanLakeWH
48 minutes ago, JoeM said:

46 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Or bed liner Sylvia? 

Both excellent suggestions! Thx!

I went with using up what I had on hand because 1) I’m cheap and 2) I’m trying to keep costs on the E 141 below the stratosphere and 3) I’m decluttering and 4) did I mention I’m cheap? :twocents-twocents:

It will spend the rest of its life inside or in sunshine whilst pulling the train, so I’m not overly concerned about future rust… If I do another project and get into using liner or Por I will use it up on this application…

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 4