Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

When I first got my 855 running I tried it around the yard, with no deck, and almost dumped myself off the back of the seat on the first launch. Front wheels were definitely off the ground,.

I'd bet that near to woke you up. 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

20211021_163710.jpg.462693a6c19cb16c3856e8513ba329b1.jpg

You improvise when the color you're looking for is unobtainable.

• Like 5

19richie66
22 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

20211021_163710.jpg.462693a6c19cb16c3856e8513ba329b1.jpg

You improvise when the color you're looking for is unobtainable.

Walmart paint shelves are bare. Not much better in Lowes. Looks good though!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Silver aluminum base with a grey primer topcoat and finished with a gloss clear coat.

• Like 2

8ntruck

Tinkered with my C195 this afternoon.  I installed the new hydraulic unit drive belt clutch linkage bits and pieces that have been sitting on my bench for about a month.  The clutch now latches in the off position.  Having this layer of interlock operational increases my trust level in this machine.  It is one more thing to insure that the Horse won't run off on its own when I start it.

Tackled the fuel system next.  Last time I used the tractor, it seemed to be running rich.  I found the choke linkage was bound up, not letting the choke open all the way.

The last time I ran the tractor, it ran better when the fuel pump was off, so the plan was to check the fuel pump, and float valve operation.  While checking the fuel pump, I discovered that the gas tank was empty - KT19 is a hungry beast.  At this point, it would fire on carb cleaner, but not run.

Off with the carb and to the bench to open it up.  Lots of crud in the bowl and lots of crud around the float valve.  The float valve did not follow the float by gravity.  Pulled the float valve seat and found it mostly clogged with some sort of goo.

The carb is in pieces ready for cleaning.  Got to come up with a rebuild kit.

I did notice that there is a freeze pug just below the idle needle.  Should I chase down a replacement plug so I can remove the one in the carb to make sure everything under it is clean?

• Like 2

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I did notice that there is a freeze pug just below the idle needle.  Should I chase down a replacement plug so I can remove the one in the carb to make sure everything under it is clean?

I can only speak to the Onan twins and their carb Welch Plug removal is essential. Important passageways behind. But have the replacement on hand (and know how to install the new one!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Should I chase down a replacement plug so I can remove the one in the carb to make sure everything under it is clean

Fair chance it could be in the carb kit.  

57 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I can only speak to the Onan twins and their carb Welch Plug removal is essential. Important passageways behind. But have the replacement on hand (and know how to install the new one!

This past weekend was the first time I'd ever taken a welch plug out. 

The Briggs carb on the big splitter was some grungy. 

On a Kohler carb I've always left the plugs in. I have and to clean em twice occasionally.  

• Like 1

adsm08
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd bet that near to woke you up. 

It sure got the blood pumping.

I grew up driving my dad's 310-8, which is a bit more nose-heavy than the 855, and also was never without a deck or plow, so nothing of that sort ever happened to me before.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

bit more nose-heavy

Trina has an 867. Iron Kohler 8 horse.  

Her 657 however has an aluminum Briggs 8. 

HUGE difference.....

• Like 1

WHX??

Dan @Achto.... what about ole pale face here now.... I'm jonesin. ... I was gonna ship it off to the glue factory that's why I give it to you! :lol: Did you find the gas tank strap? We want all the details!

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

Spent a little time with the newest member of my herd over the last couple of days. "Pale Face" as @WHX?? calls him showed up as a non-runner with a few pieces missing, most of the pieces were included with him though.

IMG_20211020_164039734.jpg.eea143be1eac6b4b6f737e55d3523810.jpg

IMG_20211020_164106871_PORTRAIT.jpg.dfa5c381460e9d5683e4b292b535685d.jpg

Yesterday I spent some time getting the steering wheel off, installing a dash and getting the cables to move. The throttle cable had to be replaced but the choke cable was savable.

IMG_20211020_175114869_PORTRAIT.jpg.b4b3a18484f4f7eafac0d9da040baf80.jpg

Tonight I pulled the bowl off from the carb and was happy to see that it was relatively clean.

IMG_20211021_173051116_PORTRAIT.jpg.ff452f31191e1c2b133823810e54bdc7.jpg

After seeing this I checked the vitals, performed some field triage, and hooked up an IV bottle. I'm happy to report that the engine purrs like a kitten.:greetings-clappingyellow:

IMG_20211021_180725203.jpg.a1cb03cbc9bce68e66c939b8a1678a15.jpg

I still need to flush the gas tank, replace the petcock, and finish running new fuel line. Tomorrows project. :thumbs2: Then I can shake down the rest of the tractor. No boot on the shifter so I can imagine that the inside of the tranny will be a hot mess.

• Excellent 8
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Saaaweet. . Yah tranny might need some love. She was sittin outside at my place much to my displeasure but what's a guy gonna do when he runs out of stalls? :confusion-shrug:.

Had pretty good luck getting all the horses running out of that score. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Forwards not much of a problem. Building a ballast box/chain box for her see out that helps

You get 300 or 400 lbs back there and it'll be a tad bit betterer. 

• Like 1

cschannuth
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Forwards not much of a problem. Building a ballast box/chain box for her see out that helps. 

When I had all seven suitcase weights on there it always did really well so I think once you get some more weight back there you’ll be in good shape. Of course, my 250 pounds sitting on the seat probably didn’t hurt anything either, ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Maxwell-8
9 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat: Silver aluminum base with a grey primer topcoat and finished with a gloss clear coat.

A always use a alloy-zinc spray and then a mettalic flake spray

image.png.9a07fc628743cec60f4f0ead56f76915.png

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Ah tires don't like backing up

Gregor

:text-welcomeconfetti: to  :rs:

• Like 2

jtrosp1980

Looks sharp:icecream:

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  Good looking machine.

I tinkered some more with the C195 today.  Discovered that the high speed needle is slightly bent while I was cleaning the carb.  The needle valve , splash shield, and bowl gasket were still in pretty good shape, so I reassembled it and hoped for the best.  I also made sure that the very fine wire handle on the float valve needle was around the tang on the float when it went back together.

Mounted the carb back on the tractor and hit the starter after letting the electric fuel pump come up to pressure.  The engine fired on the first or second turn of the crank.

Took a parameter patrol ride around my property.  Had to stop once to tweak the idle and high speed needles.  Runs a whole lot better now.  I even stopped and backed up to a tree to perform a 'wheel spin transmission test'.  It passed.  

I do have an annoying rattle in the clutch lever.  I think the drive belt took a set while the tractor was sitting for almost 20 years.  That kink is probably what is causing the rattle.  Installing a new belt won't hurt anything.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Gregor
14 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I do have an annoying rattle in the clutch lever.

It's a Wheel Horse trademark.

• Haha 4

8ntruck
58 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Did not know that.  This is my first hydro.

• Like 1

Lee1977
18 hours ago, Gregor said:

The hole is worn. I had that problem, drilled it out to 5/8" and installed brass bushings. I put the bushing on the wood dowel and sawed it into..

SAM-0311.jpg

SAM-0315.jpg

SAM-0305.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@TJ salyers , detail in that for lubrication , especially check tension and lubrication at  chain gear box drive area , rarely serviced and dry / rusty . also went after all related linkage /  movement areas , like chute rotation rod , once it started running easier , I just went after every moving point .  just my own experience, pete