Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, adsm08 said:

hydrogen gas

Basically what is immitted when I charge the electo golf cart... ;)

I like it!

Don

adsm08
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

I don't know... but it is dry wood... 'cause Squonks can dissolve their own tears... :laughing-rofl:

Don

I have 14 cords of dry wood and a small pile that needs to season yet, but it would probably be safe to burn if I did it one piece at a time.

• Haha 1

Gregor
4 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

I am using is just tap water and baking soda, so it's perfectly safe to just stick my bare hand in. Overnight lows are into the 40s and daytime highs are in the mid 60s, so the water is cold, but that's about it.

Baking soda is  sodium bicarbonate. Washing soda is Sodium carbonate. Everything I have read instructs to use "Washing Soda".  BTW  If you use a large battery charger, and set it at 40 amps, the water will get quite warm.

• Like 2

adsm08
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

Baking soda is  sodium bicarbonate. Washing soda is Sodium carbonate. Everything I have read instructs to use "Washing Soda".  BTW  If you use a large battery charger, and set it at 40 amps, the water will get quite warm.

Sodium carbonate is generally considered the better of the two, but bicarbonate will work as well.

It's been years since I did anything with this process, and so I had to do some research on the setup to remember how to build it. In the write-ups I read the only noticeable differences reported were that sodium carbonate worked a little faster, and the way the rust built up on the sacrificial anode was different between the two.

But since the entire purpose of the compound is to make the water a better electrolyte the sodium alone should do that, however straight sodium is too corrosive.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

If you google E-Tank you will find lots of videos. I use Swimming Pool Ph+ since I can’t find washing soda around my area. It works good. The nice thing about an E-Tank is it will remove rust and if you let it cook longer the remains paint will come off with a nylon bristle brush. While it is somewhat line of site between the anode and part. But I have had a few rusted together pieces free up. I love it when something works while I sleep. 

• Like 6

953 nut
11 hours ago, adsm08 said:

muriatic acid mix to wash the rust off the donor metal, which is used in a lot of rust converters

Phosphoric acid is used in most rust converters.   image.jpeg.78e7941e8a1c6fb7301b0e6c4ef397ac.jpeg

adsm08
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Phosphoric acid is used in most rust converters.   image.jpeg.78e7941e8a1c6fb7301b0e6c4ef397ac.jpeg

Years ago muriatic acid (hydrocloric acid) was used for acid washing rust, similar to vinegar.

Phosphoric acid was also commonly used in rust converters to create iron phosphate.

The green movement has push a switch by many companies to citric acid, which performs a similar function, but does not seem to work as well in my experience.

• Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Pretty pleased with my half hours worth putzing around.

Rusty or not, that tractor is awesome!

• Like 2

TJ5208

Rebel Is running now so happy about that check it out on my YouTube TJ salyers

• Like 4

Maxwell-8
27 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

Rebel Is running now so happy about that check it out on my YouTube TJ salyers

That techy sounds good, that's the engine my raider had originally. 

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

@RandyLittrellCD62E991-9F42-47AF-B202-3C3ED4E1301D.jpeg.e8281d5b10630496577847e01bdb6d25.jpeg

Ive built something similar in the past. Just some tubing and a chunk of flat bar and I can mount a 12in weight to the bagger mounts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ifixoldjunk

4D80E31F-8FAA-4537-861F-A03543E23E47.jpeg.c12124ca881f447e7c23243b189dd6b2.jpeg

just finished winterizing my deck. Probably won’t use it again this season. When do y’all think it’s time to start hooking up the blowers? Probably a bit early now. I usually wait until the first frost or so.

I used a paint brush and some near vintage mystery transmission fluid to coat the underside of the deck. I’m always amazed how little rust is on it, I’d like to keep it that way😅9ABEC290-6ECD-48BD-9DFE-313DF25DB00F.jpeg.fd5887357726a1839b746d863072f6a0.jpeg

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
23 hours ago, adsm08 said:

muriatic acid (hydrocloric acid) was used for acid washing rust

Yes, but it will flash to rust as soon as it is rinsed off. Rust converters will leave a rust preventive coating. 

• Like 2

8ntruck

Started the day doing trailer work.  Hauled the 7 dock sections up the hill to their winter storage spot, then one load of dock legs and feet up to their storage spot in one of the sheds.

Swapped out the RD deck for the SD deck with the mulching plate to mow the lawn and process round 1 of the leaves. 

Was almost done when the no name decided to work a math problem.  I was turning the wheel left to try  before I broadsides the travel trailer.  Tractor was not responding.  The new equation the tractor was demonstrating was: left front wheel full left + right front wheel full right = straight.  The inner tie rod end on the right hand side had separated.  Guess I'll be building up a set of tie rods with heim joints.

I patched it together with a few wraps of electric fence wire.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

CB520HC

Well finally installed my 44" 2 stage blower on one of my tractors hood came off due to fitment issues just sitting on the tractor for the pic everything works belt guard is off as well but id love to see if ohio will allow me to use this this winter. love to hear the k341 dig in.

c175 with blower.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
On 10/19/2021 at 9:02 AM, Goldnboy said:

So I did some cleaning and painting to many excess parts.

Can I send a really small (fridge-sized) box and have you take care of my spares? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 minutes ago, CB520HC said:

id love to see if ohio will allow me to use this this winter. love to hear the k341 dig in.

Can't use a snow thrower in your state? Not being smarty pants at all- just surprised by that comment.

Have no use for one here, not for the past 10 years anyway.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, CB520HC said:

see if ohio will allow me to use this this winter

Yeah, I would also like to hear more about the reason you think the state would not let you use it!

Boy, talk about big bother! 

CB520HC

I can just last couple years haven't had enough snow to really be worth it also have a gravel driveway. I use the 520hc with 56 blade to push the snow planning on using this if i start running out of room to stack the snow.

• Like 4