Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Shed
24 minutes ago, Andy N. said:

Tri ribs finally became available again so I installed a set on a restored set of front wheels and installed on the 520-H. Too dark to mow, but I did drive them around a bit and so far like the results.

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

Your tractor kinda has a mean look to it with the headlight bezel twisted up I like it 

• Like 1

Andy N.
4 minutes ago, Shed said:

Your tractor kinda has a mean look to it with the headlight bezel twisted up I like it 

Was on my list of things to fix, but maybe I'll just keep that look!

WHX??

This one Dan does have custody of now .... figured it be better to just let him have it rather than a nasty fight in divorce court. :laughing-rolling:

Actually a real nice 856 and prolly wouldn't take much to get her chugging. 'Side looks much better in his pasture than mine. I ain't one for naming tractors but this one is ole pale face....:lol: Does fit and gives character.  Ever wonder what a PO might have been thinkin when he picked up a rattle can?!?! 

20210419_123228.jpg

• Haha 3

Achto
41 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Figured sort out the fuel pump issues and she be good to go. 

Either gonna sell this one or keep it.

You get some seat time on that C-121 & she'll stay right where she is.:)

Ole pale face does look good sittin' in my pasture. I Haven't had a chance to look at her much yet but I think a couple of hours time will have her up & running.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Thems look like Firestones Andy.... now we know who has deep pockets!  

I sprung for a pair for my first love.

20170225_170106-1.jpg

20170822_120957.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Jhook

Did some trading with a buddy of mine today. The non running but very nice shape 416h with 42 in RD deck is gone, but i now have this nice rj58. Pretty happy with it. 

20210921_201653.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

squonk
14 hours ago, WHX?? said:

:lol:

Here's a strange one.... went to get a C-121 square hood auto running to get it over to the shop for some love. No spark so went thru the diagnostics to figure out a bad coil. Strange part is the old coil + was wired to the points and condenser. Now I know that ain't right! Really strange part is this tractor ran good when I parked it a month or two ago other than a POS plastic fuel pump that I knew was junk. Figured sort out the fuel pump issues and she be good to go. 

Either gonna sell this one or keep it. :lol: Some solid mounts on the shaker and HY lift she might be a beaut. 

Dan @Achto having his way with my girl! 

The coil doesn't care what wires are hooked up where as long as the points and condenser are on the same terminal. Power from the battery is still going to flow through the primary circuit to the points and to ground. A magnetic field is still going to be generated. Most what would happen is the magnetic poles would be reversed.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

The coil doesn't care what wires are hooked up where as long as the points and condenser are on the same terminal. Power from the battery is still going to flow through the primary circuit to the points and to ground. A magnetic field is still going to be generated. Most what would happen is the magnetic poles would be reversed.

Does reverse poles make any difference?

I assume we just always put points and condenser on the negative for the sake of consistency?

I've had a couple tractors come into our possession that were hooked up backwards as well...

squonk

The primary circuit of the coil is just a pass thru. When the points are closed the power flows from what ever terminal the 12 volt source is connected to through the windings and back out to the points and ground. Magnetic field builds. When the points open the flow stops and the magnetic field collapses and the lines of magnetism cross the secondary windings and induces a high voltage current. The poles being north/south or south/north don't effect anything. Look at this picture. The coil primary is not grounded in the coil body. the primary circuit goes in and goes out. In this example the primary enters and goes down the coil to the bottom and then up and out. In Jim's scenario the primary current will travel down the coil then into the windings and then out changing the polarity of the magnetic field but not the primary or secondary circuits.

42678.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Doing some organizing and cleaning today.  Mostly pushing them around, but I fired up Jackie in just one pull to move him outside.

Before too long, I need to stash the toy hauler and Norman inside this dump!

112FE0EB-9179-4B93-BAD5-2E7843A84C4C.jpeg

A16C5134-F474-44B7-BE5B-BA4A1347C973.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I looked at this quick and thought you put that stack on the bike! :lol:

112FE0EB-9179-4B93-BAD5-2E7843A84C4C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19richie66
11 minutes ago, squonk said:

Wouldn’t surprise me :laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

5 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me :laughing-rolling:

great idea!  Might toss one on my HD!

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, squonk said:

The primary circuit of the coil is just a pass thru. When the points are closed the power flows from what ever terminal the 12 volt source is connected to through the windings and back out to the points and ground. Magnetic field builds. When the points open the flow stops and the magnetic field collapses and the lines of magnetism cross the secondary windings and induces a high voltage current. The poles being north/south or south/north don't effect anything. Look at this picture. The coil primary is not grounded in the coil body. the primary circuit goes in and goes out. In this example the primary enters and goes down the coil to the bottom and then up and out. In Jim's scenario the primary current will travel down the coil then into the windings and then out changing the polarity of the magnetic field but not the primary or secondary circuits.

42678.jpg

Interesting but having some experience with old positive ground 6v farm tractors they will run with the coil wires set up for negative ground but they will run better if you put the points and condenser on the + terminal.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

I would have to agree with Squonky on the coil thing. Unless the coil is a newfangled one and has electronics of sorts buried in it. Even with a internal resistor buried in it still should not matter? 

I guess my ? would be then why are the primary posts labeled then? Industry standard? 

I threw a coil on it marked external resistor as it was the only one I had laying around and it got her over to the shop. Lots of arcing on the points tho so new coil and condenser to follow. 

squonk

Yeah get that coil off of there or you will burn up the points. You need that internal resistor to cut the primary current back.

WHX??
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

will burn up the points.

Yep I know that. That was actually the coil that was on the 1045 when I got it from @prondzy. He ran it alot and I did too with no issues before I noticed it was marked external. 

Oldskool

I couldn't get my ducks in a row so I figured Horses might be easier. Almost all of them anyways..

Also had a pull off showdown with the GT14 and Hiram, moving around some old riding mowers to clean up for snow. Well I'm kinda surprises Hiram came out on top.

20210922_184305.jpg

• Excellent 5

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Well I'm kinda surprises Hiram came out on top.

Not me. 

That's a rugged rig, Hiram. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Texted with Sparky to troubleshoot and get this freebie Magnum back up and running tonight.

20210922_185858.jpg.1e36fca0ac6511a60a5bd3c5af3e3cc3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

19richie66
16 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Texted with Sparky to troubleshoot and get this freebie Magnum back up and running tonight.

20210922_185858.jpg.1e36fca0ac6511a60a5bd3c5af3e3cc3.jpg

Freebie = Nice 👍 

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H

Well, I took about 0.030” off of the cylinder head on the aftermarket “greyhound” engine on the 607 and forgot to adjust the rocker arms before I turned the engine by hand, and well let’s just say it didn’t end well. New rocker arms to be ordered soon. What happened was I tightened the rocker too much, then dropped a piece behind the flywheel (or so I thought, it wasn’t there I think it’s on the ground somewhere) so what I tried to take the flywheel off to find the piece, I turned it and it locked up, I thought it was the piece I dropped…nope. The top of the valve was against the piston because I didn’t adjust it yet and I turned my breaker bar, the SNAP. YES it broke loose. 1/2 a second later NNNOOOO!!! The poor little rocker arm didn’t stand a chance. Let this be a lesson to you all (probably more myself though), ADJUST YOUR VALVES AND ROCKERS AS SOON AS THEY ARE INSTALLED.

7A8419AC-D223-4F18-9F90-A8279CAA826C.jpeg

Edited by WheelHorse520H
Forgot photo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

prondzy
4 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Yep I know that. That was actually the coil that was on the 1045 when I got it from @prondzy. He ran it alot and I did too with no issues before I noticed it was marked external. 

Huh, who knew. I never paid attention to that it ran so good