Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

elcamino/wheelhorse

I saw those Kevlar sleeves in use by brother this past weekend , they are well worth the cost. Got to order me a pair.

• Like 3

Snoopy11
19 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Recently got a clevis hitch and rockshaft kit from wheelhorsepartsandmore...got it hooked up and ready to do some ground leveling for a family members backyard!  Just was getting everything test fitted!  Ready to go!

1338400296_pic41.jpg.d77569064b60d41cfb8f190f84a1c74c.jpg

My neighbor has one of these for his massive Kubota tractor. Does fine until he hits a tree root. Stops that big tractor in its tracks...

Careful! Easy does it!!!

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I saw those Kevlar sleeves in use by brother this past weekend , they are well worth the cost. Got to order me a pair.

Excellent for welding, by the way to protect upper arms. Not as good for hands though. Still need those old welding gloves...

Don

Lane Ranger

Something to remember ( and which I almost forgot) is the PTO engagement lever has a trunnion on it that may have to be moved to adjust the tension on your mower drive belt!

I placed my 2002 side discharge deck and a new wheel horse pto drive belt on the 314 hydro today and kept noticing no real cutting of the grass e we hen pto was engaged.   Finally took PTO bell off and looked at bearings, greased it and put all back together.  Then I was face to face with the trunnion on the threaded end of the PTO engagement lever!  Oh maybe I need to move it back to tighten it up a little!  Oh it cuts as free that just fine! 

A447BD37-5BA3-4849-A40C-33AD03C83F5B.jpeg

3BFAAD9B-F0AB-4716-9008-26F7FDF562EF.jpeg

A52BE0BD-614D-47E8-A769-EBAA95E8A4F5.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
29 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

A447BD37-5BA3-4849-A40C-33AD03C83F5B.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

I don't know if you would have enough clearance with the heat shield, but, on my 520 and 417, I was able to put the trunnion on top of the PTO lever to get better alignment.

102_3397.JPG.c4e10e13f60b785fbbabcdfb7750d11c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Lane Ranger
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I don't know if you would have enough clearance with the heat shield, but, on my 520 and 417, I was able to put the trunnion on top of the PTO lever to get better alignment.

Yes most of my other tractors are that  Ed but this one was like this when I got it! 

• Like 1

johnnymag3

On top is the way to go !!!!!!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

@8ntruck

@Snoopy11

@elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a VERY capable chipper. 

It was recommended to me:

Do not wear any gloves or article of cloth that can be caught on a branch or twig. 

So now I'll repeat. 

DO NOT WEAR ANY GLOVES OR ARTICLE OF CLOTH THAT CAN BE CAUGHT ON A BRANCH OR TWIG !!!!!!!

I've had mine catch on gloves and RIP THEM NEARLY OFF

Please be mindful of the pulling power of these light industrial chippers.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

All of my 520H tractors have the hairpin on the top.  One I bought new and that is where it was.  None of them are as misaligned as the photo, so I wonder what else is going on, maybe wrong parts or assembly.

IMG_0046.JPG.30040782f219b085e3df06d9cc83facd.JPG

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

8ntruck
47 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@8ntruck

@Snoopy11

@elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a VERY capable chipper. 

It was recommended to me:

Do not wear any gloves or article of cloth that can be caught on a branch or twig. 

So now I'll repeat. 

DO NOT WEAR ANY GLOVES OR ARTICLE OF CLOTH THAT CAN BE CAUGHT ON A BRANCH OR TWIG !!!!!!!

I've had mine catch on gloves and RIP THEM NEARLY OFF

Please be mindful of the pulling power of these light industrial chippers.  

I hear you.  I'm treating it as a "chuck and duck" chipper - chuck the stick into the blade and duck out of the way as it feeds.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WheelHorse520H
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

11 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

All of my 520H tractors have the hairpin on the top.  One I bought new and that is where it was.  None of them are as misaligned as the photo, so I wonder what else is going on, maybe wrong parts or assembly.

IMG_0046.JPG.30040782f219b085e3df06d9cc83facd.JPG

Take my :twocents-twocents: with a grain of salt but for as long as I remember the trunnion was on top with the cotter on the bottom. Maybe it’s just however it needed to be adjusted when it left the factory, they could have done some on top and some on the bottom to get a precise spec on the gap of the clutch pulley or something.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I hear you.  I'm treating it as a "chuck and duck" chipper - chuck the stick into the blade and duck out of the way as it feeds.

Excellent idea Sir.  

That's basically what we do. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

You can actually go by the owners manual on page 16, where it shows the pin on top.

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
19 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

You can actually go by the owners manual on page 16, where it shows the pin on top.

My 1988 paper copy does in fact show what you are describing. That begs the question: does it really matter for proper operation? it seems some have it one way and others the other and both ways seem to work.

• Like 2

lynnmor
Just now, WheelHorse520H said:

My 1988 paper copy does in fact show what you are describing. That begs the question: does it really matter for proper operation? it seems some have it one way and others the other and both ways seem to work.

None of mine will allow a flip and there is no way they would be better aligned.  The only issue might be that the PTO lever may not stay in place as well if the angle of the rod is wrong.  Personally I would look to see why there is a problem.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

None of mine will allow a flip and there is no way they would be better aligned.  The only issue might be that the PTO lever may not stay in place as well if the angle of the rod is wrong.  Personally I would look to see why there is a problem.

I’ll mess around tomorrow with mine and see if it holds good a certain way.

• Like 2

JoeM
21 hours ago, lynnmor said:

All of my 520H tractors have the hairpin on the top

:text-yeahthat:

My buddies was switched to the bottom and it wanted to pop out of engagement sometimes. Even when it was readjusted. Looked okay but worked better from the bottom up. 

• Like 1

JoeM

Worked on the FEL plow angling hydraulics. I rigged up a quick attach plow and I am getting older and don't want to get out of the seat to adjust. 

I used the deck lift hydraulics for the angle circuit. 

Still need to fab a guard up for the fittings. 

1218240287_HydraulicAngleBladeCylinder2.jpg.0542464d1b61dfa508a227d1826caa0b.jpg1692347414_HydraulicAngleBladeCylinder1.jpg.d3569373fe083b7a4c3a4a6fd583982b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

WheelHorse520H
21 hours ago, lynnmor said:

None of mine will allow a flip and there is no way they would be better aligned.

What do you mean by that? I noticed today when I messed with mine that to put the trunnion on the bottom I had to move it closer to the engagement lever on the linkage rod. Because of this the pulley engaged tighter, so I do see why you keep yours that way, it does seem to be better. Just to be clear I did not run the engine (mostly because it doesn’t run currently)

@JoeM nice loader. What tractor is it on?

• Like 1

kpinnc

Nice xi there JoeM! Be sure to put up more pics!

I so much want a loader!

Edited by kpinnc

JoeM
10 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

What tractor is it on?

520 LXI It is good one and the power steering is the bomb!

There is a mini build thread somewhere on the site. 

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
17 minutes ago, JoeM said:

the power steering is the bomb!

Does it also have power windows?:lol:

• Haha 2