Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Oldskool
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We could use one o them here in the yard. 

You cant go wrong.

I'm thinking I may make a belly mounted grader blade with rippers on it to loosen things up a bit ahead of the rake.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

You cant go wrong.

I'm thinking I may make a belly mounted grader blade with rippers on it to loosen things up a bit ahead of the rake.

We've been mulling doing a row of small teeth on a grader. 

• Like 2

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

I think it would be the Bee's knees 

• Like 1

Oldskool
19 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

a unique wheel 

Do you recognize this wheel?

20210515_215138.jpg

8ntruck
19 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

20210515_215138.jpg

Not immediately.  Got a picture of the back side of the wheel?  In this picture, the center of the wheel does not look like steel.  Might be aluminum?

That is way too rusty to have any chance of finding any stamped markings.  OEM wheels need to meet NTSA traceability requirements.  Aftermarket wheels probably have similar marking standards to meet as well.

Oldskool
13 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Not immediately.  Got a picture of the back side of the wheel?  In this picture, the center of the wheel does not look like steel.  Might be aluminum?

That is way too rusty to have any chance of finding any stamped markings.  OEM wheels need to meet NTSA traceability requirements.  Aftermarket wheels probably have similar marking standards to meet as well.

I dont have a pic of the back at the moment 

The center actually is aluminum.

I do remember seeing a date stamp on the back of one its around June of 68.

They were made by Kelsey Hayes.

8ntruck
16 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I dont have a pic of the back at the moment 

The center actually is aluminum.

I do remember seeing a date stamp on the back of one its around June of 68.

They were made by Kelsey Hayes.

Kelsey Hayes had the second generation Camaro Z28 wheels, but it is definitely not one of those.

Good information.  With it and a little time, I think I can chase it down - maybe even talk with one of the KH engineers that were involved with it.  Can I pass that picture on to other people?  I know I have some KH catalogs around somewhere, just don't  remember exactly where right now......

• Like 1

76c12091520h
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

20210515_215138.jpg

I believe that is what us Mopar guys refer to as the "recall wheel"

• Like 2

8ntruck

@Oldskool - got it identified.  These were offered on 1969 B and C body Chrysler cars.  The option code was W23.

Turns out these wheels were recalled.  Seems they had lug nut torque retention issues that led to cracks in the bolt holes.  I'm fairly sure the replacement wheels for the recall were Mag 500's.

I'll send a couple of e-mails out to some other wheel engineers who were active in the industry at that time to see if I can find out more trivia about them.  In 1968 and 1969, I was in junior high.

Looks like @76c12091520h beat me to the draw here.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 3

Oldskool
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Kelsey Hayes had the second generation Camaro Z28 wheels, but it is definitely not one of those.

Good information.  With it and a little time, I think I can chase it down - maybe even talk with one of the KH engineers that were involved with it.  Can I pass that picture on to other people?  I know I have some KH catalogs around somewhere, just don't  remember exactly where right now......

Yes sure. Pass the pics along. I picked up a pair of them at the junkyard. They were a cool design and thought they would look good on a wagon.

cschannuth
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I think there are a couple of companies making reproductions of them now.  I've seen ads for steel versions and aluminum look a likes, some in the currently popular larger diameters.  Originals only came in 14" and 15" diameters with a variety of rim widths and inset dimensions.

We had those wheels that are on the Ranger now on our 73 grand Torino sport. That was a midsize car but it was a big thing and those wheels looked puny to us so we ended up putting 15x10’s on the back and 15x8’s on the front and that helped fill out the Coke bottle sized wheel wells. They were aftermarket. Ford actually only put 14x7’s on their Torino‘s. 78250E52-BDF7-4A78-9A9E-0FCF67291A2E.jpeg.040af96ec264a7028529492464cc9d61.jpegC79F8E40-9735-4C81-A5E4-18428D913551.jpeg.d0efee17eac766110a846f32ffc237f6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Tractorhead

all in all they still look sharp.

i like that design.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Shed said:

Those are narrow then a 25 8.5 12? Would a 6 12 fit on a stock 416 rim? Or would they need to be changed out to a narrow rim as well? The front I'd like to put tri ribs. 

6-12 is 6 wide and 12" wheel so yes they're are narrower than an 8.5. 

If you don't have good access to Wheelhorse 5" wide wheels you can get a set for a light trailer with a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. 

• Like 1

Shed

Boy I just looked at my to rj59 and suburban I knew they were 6 wide forgot they were 12s they look much bigger in picture then real life 

Shed

Don't shoot it's just a picture ha plus there's a wheel horse next to it might hit it. :law-policered:

I was thinking of doing like the case did tall tires I know it might involve modding fenders to go up like that. I thought it be pretty neat. Only thought would it be to hard on the hydro trans.

I know it's not a huge garden we have it's 100x 50 I have 200 ears of corn planted and everything else in there just thought neat to have the kids pretend they are farming 

742-td4-b01.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Shed said:

Don't shoot it's just a picture ha plus there's a wheel horse next to it might hit it. :law-policered:

I was thinking of doing like the case did tall tires I know it might involve modding fenders to go up like that. I thought it be pretty neat. Only thought would it be to hard on the hydro trans.

"Small farm tractor" is the thought process behind my Colossus build. 

The rear fenders are a consideration, yes. 

Also the rear brace where the foot steps are. 

@Lee1977 has the diameter of the tire you could use and still clear that brace. 

There are plenty of options for tires depending on how much money you want to/can spend. 

Personally, I really like the look but also did it for practical reasons to give me extra ground clearance for forest work. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
23 minutes ago, Shed said:

I know it's not a huge garden we have it's 100x 50 I have 200 ears of corn planted and everything else in there just thought neat to have the kids pretend they are farming 

742-td4-b01.jpg

I'm putting 7.00x16 on my Wheel Horse. 8 speed though.

Depending on what you are going to do with the tractor. I think the hydro would hold up to the bigger tire. Maybe not with those and alot of pulling and tugging.

20210516_082021.jpg

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

my Colossus build. 

Progress??

The Tuul Crib

Moved a little more dirt today or tomorrow still more!

1961CF05-A497-4493-8DA1-82A942A758BC.jpeg

FA8175D6-E950-4BDA-A969-B3BBB4F77805.jpeg

• Like 4

c-series don

@The Tuul CribLooks like it’s winking at me, please install a new headlight 😂😂😂

Edited by c-series don
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

Progress??

None lately. 

Been purposefully sidelining it in favor of more time appropriate tasks such as getting the Charger hydro running, the Mckissick chipper going, and moving the firewood out of the forest. 

• Like 1

seuadr

Organized my front barn and got all my other attachments together (except blower and tiller)

PXL_20210516_153636228.jpg

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, c-series don said:

@The Tuul CribLooks like it’s winking at me, please install a new headlight 😂😂😂

I want to put the old style on this machine will goggle eyes as I call em!

• Like 1

Oldskool

Started on the last weld in wheel center adapter for Hirams left rear shoe

20210516_120034.jpg

• Like 2

Lee1977
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have mine on the back and using the winch I can use both on the same tractor.

SAM-0966.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1