Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

cleat

I have a tractor and loader as well that I rarely use the loader for snow.

Now that same tractor has a 72" snow blower and that thing clears a lot of snow in a hurry.

However, that tractor and blower are heavy and will make a big rutted mess until; the ground is really frozen.

That is when the 520HC with the snow plow really shines as it moves a lot of snow but does minimal damage to the yard.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Shed

I was givin a 7.5 foot myers snow plow that I planned to get together onto a skid steer plate for the tractor before the snow well since I finally got the plow home it hasn't stopped snowing

A plow is much nicer then a bucket for normal snow the 28 inches we got the other day I did 4 other driveways besides mine because that plows just couldn't go anywhere. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
12 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That's why I bought a snow blower and blade for the eMax and made a front blade work on the Kioti. You will be proud ,my 83yo dad (81yo when pic was taken) doesn't use a cab either.

20210207_104715.jpg

20210131_150524.jpg

IMAG3215.jpg

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

Real Men Don't use cabs!!!:P

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

not a "real" man

It's okay Jeff you get quite a few extra Man Points on your Man Card for having an engine that sounds like the one in your Bu

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nope...who needs em.     :unsure:

See the source image

This is exactly the reason that I started wearing a helmet when using the Deuce, I’m pretty sure this picture might have been me😂🤣😂🤣 before that epiphany hit my frozen brain!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

epiphany hit my frozen brain

Careful Josh. I hear those are painful. 

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

This is exactly the reason that I started wearing a helmet when using the Deuce, I’m pretty sure this picture might have been me😂🤣😂🤣 before that epiphany hit my frozen brain!

9B1BD00E-4D9D-46CA-B7CE-2A615D97B9CE.MOV 3.41 MB · 1 download

I need some snow like that to punch the eMax blower into :angry-banghead:... Its all been wet from too warm ground temps.

• Sad 1

Tractorhead
17 hours ago, pfrederi said:

My young neighbor has a 1075 that he used the last couple years to plow his driveway (about 200ft)  This year he bought a new Kubota 2601 with a front end loader. He used last week to clear the driveway Have to justify that outlay on the home front.  i cleared all my stuff (a lot more area) he was still running around with his FEL. If you have feet of snow and big piles on the road to deal with FELs are OK other wise.... My D200 with FEL had never been out in the snow... 

I think he enjoyed his sitting time ... maybe

I actually only use my FEL to remove larger frozen piles that I previously pushed aside with the 656 snow plow
and when it was unable to move that because it was compressed or frozen.
At first I think about building a bigger bucket, but then I decide to build a snowblower for the 656 for next year.

The Iseki could do that job easily (Snowplow) also with a much bigger blade, 

but i have few advantages on the work with the Wheelhorse 656 and the 1 meter Plow..

We found out, that the Horse and it‘s smaller Plow can do the job better because of some woobly‘s in the Asphalt, where the bigger plows have lots of Disadvantages. So i also do now the Winterservice together with the farmers in our village, we share it by Time.

When i‘m in Work and it’s urgently required they do it, if i‘m at home or on Weekend i do it.
It's a win-win situation for everyone. I can enjoy some seattime without annoying anyone and they safe time.

All are fine.

In January 2019, I had the most sitting time fun only with my FEL.
Is there a need for a FEL to work properly? I say no - on the other hand, when I remember that 2 years ago
Where we had a lot of wet, heavy snow, I'd enjoyed every second of my playing time on the 212 with FEL.

it was quick - not really.
Was it effective anywhere in terms of fuel economy - aaaaah no.
Were there other options for me during this time - maybe
was it funny - yap, definitely no doubt. I even had a great time with the 212 and it's FEL.

I do most of my sitting this year with the 656 and its snow plow.
ok, we had less snow than 2019, but it was only half the fun for me.
In the office, everyone at work jokes about my new obsession with snow.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

squonk

I had a cab. Not only is it a PITA to get in and out, I found it was almost impossible to see out of it on the sunny day that usually follows a storm.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, squonk said:

I had a cab. Not only is it a PITA to get in and out, I found it was almost impossible to see out of it on the sunny day that usually follows a storm.

I agree to a point Mike.     My no cab 312H  w/48" blade is my go to snow remover.    It is fast and I can see well.

BUT... when it is bitter cold, blowing, or dropping freezing rain,   I always climb into the warm dry 520H.

• Like 6

BeninCT

Grabbed these dry rotted tires/wheels and a set of chains for them today for $100 on CL- they were way worse in person than in the ad as usual but WAY worse. thought I might use them in summer (remember summer?) and just leave the chains on the narrower set on the machine.  

Where should I buy a set of these or similar turf tires?  

C953B33B-E69F-4D8B-8061-493D5717B3FA.jpeg

2F6DFF88-412A-409A-B907-FFED8B7CA1BF.jpeg

• Sad 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Grabbed these dry rotted tires/wheels and a set of chains for them today for $100 on CL- they were way worse in person than in the ad as usual but WAY worse. thought I might use them in summer (remember summer?) and just leave the chains on the narrower set on the machine.  

Where should I buy a set of these or similar turf tires?  

C953B33B-E69F-4D8B-8061-493D5717B3FA.jpeg

2F6DFF88-412A-409A-B907-FFED8B7CA1BF.jpeg

I don't think you will find the Firestone turfs anymore, but the HI-Runs at TSC, or Trac Gard brand on eBay or Amazon Wal-Mart ect for "true" to size cheaper option, of course there is the Carlisle Turf Trac, I personally don't care for those "Chevron" tread style you have mounted not much traction grass or snow, but they are cheap. Just a few off the top of my head. BTW 2 ply ride better 4 ply hold up longer and 6 ply are too hard IMO for traction but definitely better in rough thorns/briers type situations.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I need some snow like that to punch the eMax blower into :angry-banghead:... Its all been wet from too warm ground temps.

@PeacemakerJack, its not that the new blower doesn't work, the wet stuff did tend to clog the chute more so than the WH, but that could be finding the correct ground speed with gears vs hydro? This morning would have been great but I don't have any lights in the red shed and in started off in dark and blade already on, (note to self change it over in the daylight) so that's what I went with.

Gregor

I couldn't find the DPDT switch I wanted, so I installed a 4PDT relay.836598862_snowplowcontrol1(1).jpg.30305a488941459b28001e31bd65f489.jpg I am controlling the relay with an on/off push button switch. The push button switch is mounted in front of the PTO pedal.2054628478_snowplowcontrol1(3).jpg.6accb56a7d466ffaed9979b70fe87eae.jpg Tap the pedal, the plow comes up. tap it again, the plow goes down. Again, it aint purdy, but it works.

• Like 7

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I don't think you will find the Firestone turfs anymore, but the HI-Runs at TSC, or Trac Gard brand on eBay or Amazon Wal-Mart ect for "true" to size cheaper option, of course there is the Carlisle Turf Trac, I personally don't care for those "Chevron" tread style you have mounted not much traction grass or snow, but they are cheap. Just a few off the top of my head. BTW 2 ply ride better 4 ply hold up longer and 6 ply are too hard IMO for traction but definitely better in rough thorns/briers type situations.

I put Hi-Runs all the way around my 1994 520H...I like em'...

20210206_190607.jpg

20210206_185551.jpg

20210118_120135.jpg

20210117_172123.jpg

20210117_165735.jpg

20210117_132644.jpg

20210117_124727.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 3

kevincva1

Went out to the garage today to hoping make some progress on the C101  Started to install the fan shroud that I had just repaired to accept the throttle control linkage . Ended up taking more stuff apart. Pulled the engine out to fix a stripped thread that holds the fan shroud on the bottom front side, and found another spot where a bolt was broke off in the cylinder head that holds a piece of the cooling tin in place. Pulled the cylinder head to work on it, found the P.O. had pulled the head before and scraped all the carbon out and put the head back on using the old gasket. While the head was off, I noted the the cross hatch in the cylinder wall was non existent. Was thinking about a rebuild.. Got some pricing, I think i will clean up the head deck area and just put a new gasket in there for now. Found the fuel line is not located in the right position and is getting pinched by the steering rack. 

At this rate it may be completely disassembled by St .Patricks day. Too much fun for one day. Time for a barley pop.

• Like 8

8ntruck

@BeninCT - wider tires are not your friend in the snow.  The wide tires will tend to 'float' on top of the snow, packing it down, where narrower tires will tend to sink through the snow and grab the ground.

• Like 7

tom2p
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

@BeninCT - wider tires are not your friend in the snow.  The wide tires will tend to 'float' on top of the snow, packing it down, where narrower tires will tend to sink through the snow and grab the ground.

I've read this - and it might be true in some situations 

but I've personally never found it to be true - the wider tire always provided better traction in the snow for me 

trucks with a snow plow plowing snow

SUVs with loaded trailer on snow 

quads on snow 

motorcycles on snow (without spikes - not fun)

• Like 3

tom2p
6 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I put Hi-Runs all the way around my 1994

I put a set of 16-6.50-8 4 ply Hi-Runs on the front of a 312-8 

$44 for the pair with tax / shipped from Walmart - and they arrived in good / proper shape (not smashed or squished) 

I like them - tempted to get another set to install on a 416 

E69C4857-687F-4EE8-BC90-226780A9FCD0.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 6

BeninCT
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Yes was going to keep the narrow set with chains on them for winter and just use these bigger ones for the summer to protect my new lawn..  need to replace them with a turf friendly alternative.

Thanks to those who posted some options- will do in a few weeks I think

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Well, we have 4 to 8 inches predicted, but it is always a guess as I-70 is often a dividing line. I dis finally get the reworked c-141 operational with a new wiring job and transmission work. i was using the 520 before , but the front blade hit the tires .  Now i can just move the blade to the C and all should work out.  I am learning what these tractors will do in that I always used a skid steer before.

I have some extra sets of rear plow mounts, so maybe I can have a spare tractor ready with chains and one with aggressive ATV tires.

Lots going on in the shop with 3 tractors getting serviced/upgraded at once..

• Like 3

TonyToro
15 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have been looking at the firestones...a few guys selling them on the .net and eBay but super pricey. Amazing tire though. 

• Like 1