Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Pullstart
1 hour ago, sqrlgtr said:

@PeacemakerJack kind of turned me on to the GT14 platform as being so kid friendly.  It’s awesome to see the little ones becoming confident in motor skills, eye hand coordination and all hat jazz!  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

chip61

Ran the C141 hard for a couple hours on Friday with no issue until I finished mowing and headed to the shed. It sputtered a couple times and shut off like it was out of fuel. Checked and still had 1/2 tank. Cranked and got it started and running although poorly on full choke only. Managed to get it inside running like that and left it for a couple days. Went back and it started right up and ran fine. Let it run while I worked on another tractor and it ran for at least an hour or more and never missed a beat so I guess I can't troubleshoot until it acts up again. I hate "mystery" problems lol!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, chip61 said:

Ran the C141 hard for a couple hours on Friday with no issue until I finished mowing and headed to the shed. It sputtered a couple times and shut off like it was out of fuel. Checked and still had 1/2 tank. Cranked and got it started and running although poorly on full choke only. Managed to get it inside running like that and left it for a couple days. Went back and it started right up and ran fine. Let it run while I worked on another tractor and it ran for at least an hour or more and never missed a beat so I guess I can't troubleshoot until it acts up again. I hate "mystery" problems lol!

Intermittent. To some technicians that's their worst nightmare. You might as well say something horrific to them like

Supper's going to be late.

I've told customers in the past many many times that you can't do diagnostics until all your maintenance is finished.

Some stuff that comes to mind. Do you use ethanol gas? If so when was the last time you changed fuel lines?

Is it possible that the vent in the gas cap isn't venting? That could have caused your issue as well. 

If you don't figure it out try smudging with sage or some sort of a voodoo ritual. That will almost surely fix it.

• Haha 2

chip61

Fuel line and filters probably don't have 20 hours on them. I was really thinking trash in carb, but since it cleared up on it's own I don't think that's it. I only run non-ethanol fuel. I am wondering if it was a vent issue that somehow went away when I took the cap off Sunday to make sure I was right about having fuel before I did anything else. Maybe it's possessed??? :wacko: I'm thinking voodoo ritual may be the best way to go!!!

• Haha 2

sqrlgtr
4 hours ago, chip61 said:

Are you still running the original petcock with the brass screen on it?If so I have had them get so gummed up that it would starve tractor for fuel.Most definitely a fuel issue.Dont worry it will show up again at the most inopportune time,like when you are in a hurry trying to get done before rain storm ⛈ or sumin :angry-cussingblack:...  

• Like 2

Pullstart

Went to the Squonk’s School of Hard Knock Zip Ties today.

Battery hold down?  Check!

9E639B9F-A0EE-4701-B228-B101273DFF92.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

chip61
1 hour ago, sqrlgtr said:

Are you still running the original petcock with the brass screen on it?If so I have had them get so gummed up that it would starve tractor for fuel.Most definitely a fuel issue.Dont worry it will show up again at the most inopportune time,like when you are in a hurry trying to get done before rain storm ⛈ or sumin :angry-cussingblack:...  

I wouldn't expect to fail at any other time !! LOL

• Like 2

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Went to the Squonk’s School of Hard Knock Zip Ties today.

Battery hold down?  Check!

9E639B9F-A0EE-4701-B228-B101273DFF92.jpeg

Nice color match too

• Haha 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, chip61 said:

Could be a floater in the carburetor that dropped out of place for now.  Also the same goes for a floater in the gas tank, just this morning I flushed a gas tank and replaced the petcock and the bushing, the amount of debris was unbelievable.  I should have taken a photo, the debris was mostly a black plastic like stuff.  I bought this tractor recently and haven't run in more than a few minutes, so there is no way to determine where the debris originated.  Being black plastic, I wonder if it was there from new.

• Like 2

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice color match too

‘Parently they last longer that way!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

no way to determine where the debris originated.  Being black plastic, I wonder if it was there from new

Ain't that odd. Crispy stuff? Hard like plastic? None of it was flexible like rubber?

I ask because I had a friend's husky tractor with original rubber fuel lines and there was some black stuff in the tank that was almost like sand but flexible.

We figured out later after poking around that the gas had been flowing backwards while the tractor had not been running and that same stuff was in the fuel filter halfway up the line and the carburetor.

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ain't that odd. Crispy stuff? Hard like plastic? None of it was flexible like rubber?

I ask because I had a friend's husky tractor with original rubber fuel lines and there was some black stuff in the tank that was almost like sand but flexible.

We figured out later after poking around that the gas had been flowing backwards while the tractor had not been running and that same stuff was in the fuel filter halfway up the line and the carburetor.

Actually it was thin flexible pieces up to 3/8" across, it kind of looked like pieces of a heavy duty garbage bag.  I also thought it might be drilling chips when the petcock hole was done. There was other debris of all sorts so I didn't bother with a full autopsy but maybe I should have.  One strange thing about this tractor is that it starts immediate no matter how long it sits, my other three tractors with the same Onan will take considerable cranking after a week.  I just wonder if the debris in the tank, fuel pump or elsewhere wasn't acting like a check valve.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
27 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I just wonder if the debris in the tank, fuel pump or elsewhere wasn't acting like a check valve.

What are you suggesting Lynn?       To stop the fuel back flow that causes the fuel pump to lose prime, Just  add a couple ounces of junk to the tank.   :ychain:

• Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Made some more progress today with my current RJ resto.  :greetings-clapyellow:

20201013_165523.jpg.0ebc1d57337ff7c64faed24edc21c54d.jpg

20201013_165511.jpg.ec6543327925ea534e69520c0bffb9dd.jpg

20201013_165457.jpg.fe0e25b03dc46877bc516bbc5dca1289.jpg

20201013_165435.jpg.4c8c980755974f31cf630a6d88083fe2.jpg

20201013_162333.jpg.1317bcd0c6a845d974a2cb6239f25a82.jpg

20201013_162345.jpg.920c46ecabe1b755ae9859bcc14f9831.jpg

Thinking this stuff is almost clean enough to paint now.    :blink:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

tractorhead , nice to see you cleaned those mower decks , if you add this , or similar  , now over winter you will keep them alive ,  

Shed

Well it's not a wheel horse but it will find a few wheel horse projects I sold my 1998 hummer after 17 years of owning it

20201010_143547.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

ebinmaine , noting your battery hold down issue , get a door stop spring , slide it into a similar piece of hose , find a pull point behind dash , put a hook on the other end and hook up under battery tray , battery is secure , pete 

• Like 1

8ntruck
55 minutes ago, Shed said:

Well it's not a wheel horse but it will find a few wheel horse projects I sold my 1998 hummer after 17 years of owning it

20201010_143547.jpg

Wow. Remote tire pressure rig with run flats. 

The company I retired from did the development on those wheels.  My desk was only a couple of desks away from the two  engineers who were working on that project.  Had several discussions about the computer stress analysis with one of them.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, chip61 said:

8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Is it possible that the vent in the gas cap isn't venting?

As the engine runs the fuel level goes down, without a vent the fuel tank will develop a slight vacuum inside, as the vacuum increases it will get to the point where the fuel pump can't overcome it         :sad-darkcloud:          engine quits getting fuel.        :scratchead:       You remove the cap and the vacuum goes away but the fuel system is primarily pumping fumes so the choke is needed until liquid flows.

• Like 3

8ntruck

More cart work with the horse today.  Moving things into winter storage.   Blew the accumulation of leaves in the wind shadow of the lake house into the yard and munched them since I had the tractor out and running.

Yesterday, I had the pressure washer out for the pontoon, so I dragged the RD deck out and blasted the bottom.  I wiped it down with used 30 weight today.

While I've been moving around the yard recently with the tractor doing other chores, I've been running the deck to mulch the leaves that have fallen since my last cleanup.  I don't get the whole yard, but I figure if I do this it means fewer leaves to deal with later.  Turns out that the deck munches pretty well at half throttle.  Even does OK when lifted to transport position.

• Like 1

Shed
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Wow. Remote tire pressure rig with run flats. 

The company I retired from did the development on those wheels.  My desk was only a couple of desks away from the two  engineers who were working on that project.  Had several discussions about the computer stress analysis with one of them.

That's pretty awesome I dont have the run flats they weren't the best just an inner lock ring. But these rims are the best the aluminum ones were really impressive dot approved bead locks

The air system the military still use on a lot of their vehicles.

But that must have been a fun place to work making stuff like that. I just bill people for damaging state property 

• Like 1

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Shed said:

That's pretty awesome I dont have the run flats they weren't the best just an inner lock ring. But these rims are the best the aluminum ones were really impressive dot approved bead locks

The air system the military still use on a lot of their vehicles.

But that must have been a fun place to work making stuff like that. I just bill people for damaging state property 

We were a supplier to AM General.  The AM General folks did the field testing.  Would did lab testing.

One of the engineers working on the Hummer also had a similar run flat/central pressure comtrol project going for the 5 ton 6x6 trucks.  He did get an invite to a test session in the sand dunes on the shore of Lake Michigan.  He has a picture of one of the trucks at the crest of a dune with the front wheels in the air - not because of the speed, but because of the full load in the truck and the grade of the dune.

• Heart 1

chip61
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

As the engine runs the fuel level goes down, without a vent the fuel tank will develop a slight vacuum inside, as the vacuum increases it will get to the point where the fuel pump can't overcome it         :sad-darkcloud:          engine quits getting fuel.        :scratchead:       You remove the cap and the vacuum goes away but the fuel system is primarily pumping fumes so the choke is needed until liquid flows.

Yes it could be a vent issue. When it quit Friday I didn't remove the cap to check the fuel level, just glanced at the gauge. On Sunday I removed the cap before starting the tractor to confirm the gauge reading. Maybe the cap was stopped up and removing it cleared the blockage?? I'll pull everything apart over the winter and make sure there's no debris in the fuel system. If it does it again I'll loosen the cap immediately to check for vacuum (Had that happen before on another machine). Anyway, I'll park it for now and use the 416- mowing season is almost over. I may have to cut everything one more time.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sometimes I'd rather just not know.20201014_103820.jpg.d7715fb7c50759a01a185a9afea0f408.jpg

20201014_112506.jpg.fead8c2f3e4fcbfaa9447d1c6c47c572.jpg

20201014_103537.jpg.b8e974992c4f0a170bf8b65847b18f5b.jpg

20201014_103542.jpg.90380e42129c799c5fbed4d1477d8062.jpg

20201014_115317.jpg.15885ecf338ebb63923578b606acc45b.jpg

20201014_114609.jpg.ff08ff92b8ed68f9bda31cbf6ff77880.jpg

20201014_115246.jpg.31451e5adc98d24ecd78eeeb0699e04f.jpg

20201014_115255.jpg.163f24deb02908968da01c4087bae3ee.jpg

20201014_121602.jpg.6b316b2b69fd42ae1064781c9a10194a.jpg

20201014_121607.jpg.364272ee93f9f364a6106fca0b590a1e.jpg

20201014_115308.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

johnnymag3

A case of judging a book by the cover I'd say......

It will be all purty when you are finished...

John