Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

8ntruck

Solved my 11/16 dia. hole with a 1/2" chuck issue with a phone call to a friend with a machine shop. I'll owe him lunch if the restaurants ever re-open.

We will be at our summer place next week (where the horse is), so I should be able to get the hitch at least tacked together and on the horse for a trial fit.

Pull start - I tried your method of a sawzall and bi-metal balde to cut a couple of pieces.  Must be an acquired skill.  It cut ok, but I couldn't make an accurate cut.  Looks like I'll go back to my angle grinder with a suicide wheel for the rest of the project.

Yes, yes, yes - pictures as things progress.

Looks like I'll even have to finally become a supporter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Solved my 11/16 dia. hole with a 1/2" chuck issue with a phone call to a friend with a machine shop. I'll owe him lunch if the restaurants ever re-open.

We will be at our summer place next week (where the horse is), so I should be able to get the hitch at least tacked together and on the horse for a trial fit.

Pull start - I tried your method of a sawzall and bi-metal balde to cut a couple of pieces.  Must be an acquired skill.  It cut ok, but I couldn't make an accurate cut.  Looks like I'll go back to my angle grinder with a suicide wheel for the rest of the project.

Yes, yes, yes - pictures as things progress.

Looks like I'll even have to finally become a supporter.

Bill, I very much support the use of a sawzall!  I have found the carbide tipped blades work exceptionally well in my line of work.  You are probably correct about the acquired skill and I’m not sure how it works best for me because I know plenty of people who have been using them for years that can’t get a straight cut.  As for becoming a supporter, that’s never a wrong decision :handgestures-thumbupright:

peter lena

johnnymag3, liked your issue exposure and the fact that it works . that fact gives you a very good opportunity to redo it and improve it also , i often use wire wrap ,https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk027HqErNe5BYSblt_XbqfI6k0JnTQ:1588939838366&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=wire+spiral+wrap&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwikhoqVnqTpAhVBUt8KHSLnDXcQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1024&bih=625  to contain , reroute and improve  wire issues. eliminating wire chafing and also use a dielectric grease on every connection will ensure trouble free wiring. there are also peel n stick tye wrap mounts that allow you to secure wire  anyware you need to . good luck with it, i would check and verify operation  at every replacement point , been there done that , pete

• Like 1

8ntruck

Kev - we waved in your direction yesterday about 7 pm as we drove from I196 to I96 on M6 last night.  Rolled into our place about 8 pm.

Unloaded the car today and realized that I forgot to throw the lug nuts and studs for the horse in - they are still in Mo.:angry-banghead:   I still need to go back there to keep some of the project's on that house running in a couple of weeks.  I'll get them then.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

squonk

Put the hubcaps on the 1467 Special using the "Wisconsiny" method! 

caps.JPG.eb909b50a3019b2a1b49fbd6d63b126f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

johnnymag3

The Wisconsiny method ??????:scared-eek:

squonk

rubber hose slit length wise to keep the powder coat nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, squonk said:

rubber hose slit length wise to keep the powder coat nice.

:teasing-neener:

Welcome Back, Kotter: The Up Your Nose With A Rubber Hose Game ...

• Haha 1

Flat Thunder Channel
Sometimes you can do big things with little tractors. I recently used my tiny 704 Wheelhorse to move a 1250# trailer. I only used the tiny tractor because my bigger one was trapped in the garage (click the link below to watch the video). I need to know the correct linage for the rear hitch raise / lower mechanism.  Does anyone know what this looks like or has a reference for the factory version? Share some pictures and videos of your little tractors working! 

704 WheelHorse Working:
https://youtu.be/jZT_Izvub8o

IMG_20200503_134021.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

Sometimes you can do big things with little tractors

:text-welcomeconfetti:

We use ours to pull loads of wood or stone on a regular basis.

Great little workers!!

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

Share some pictures and videos of your little tractors working!

Quite a few short videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoE6R9_IV0xE7vteRSxtsvg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:     Impressive video....thanks for sharing.          It is amazing what these little tractors can do.

Just a word of caution...  use extreme caution when moving heavy loads on sloped areas.  These tractors have very poor braking.

I also learned (the hard way) that is best to leave the trailer tongue wheel in contact with the ground.     When the trailer wheel encounters any obstruction, the tractor goes vertical very quickly.

See the source image

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

Flat Thunder Channel

Agreed!  I found out the hard way that a 16 hp with a loader essentially has zero brakes.  I determined this after driving up a hill loaded, push in the clutch and down the hill she went.  I would like to design and build a small hydraulic disc brake for the loader someday.  The friction band brake leaves a lot to desire.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Ran into a snag on my receiver hitch project.  I got a piece of 2 1/2" by 1/4" thick square tubing for the receiver part of the hitch.  The I.D. of this tube is a tight fit for the hitch.  Hindsight being 20/20, I should have used 3/16" thick tubing.

I think I"'ll section the tube the long way, and re-weld it a little wider.  Will be good welding practice - which I need.

• Like 3

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:     Impressive video....thanks for sharing.          It is amazing what these little tractors can do.

Just a word of caution...  use extreme caution when moving heavy loads on sloped areas.  These tractors have very poor braking.

I also learned (the hard way) that is best to leave the trailer tongue wheel in contact with the ground.     When the trailer wheel encounters any obstruction, the tractor goes vertical very quickly.

See the source image

Ed, is that your Country Clipper?  I have one and that is exactly how they are designed to service the underside of the deck and blades.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ed Kennell

Not mine Lynn.  Just a photo I found to demo.

Flat Thunder Channel

I would really like to add a D180 or D200 with a loader to my collection, but they are usually big money.  If you didn't notice from the video I like to have tractors, but I also like to make them useful too.  I don't think I'll ever own one that is only used for parade duty. 

Thanks for the compliment.  I only just started making videos a month ago.  I found that I like watching people work on things and enjoy their content.  I figured I should contribute;  make memories my kids can watch later in life and maybe entertain/educate others at the sametime. 😁

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

:WRS:  and thanks for the video 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

I found that I like watching people work on things and enjoy their content.  I figured I should contribute;  make memories my kids can watch later in life and maybe entertain/educate others at the sametime

That's a great attitude. 

:handgestures-thumbup:

Trina and I get A LOT of information from the YouTubes...

• Like 1

tom2p
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's a great attitude. 

:handgestures-thumbup:

Trina and I get A LOT of information from the YouTubes...

my kids especially use it - for just about everything 

music / instruments ... school work ...  cooking / recipes  ... repair of all types of things ... product reviews ... 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

tom2p
5 hours ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:
Sometimes you can do big things with little tractors. I recently used my tiny 704 Wheelhorse to move a 1250# trailer. I only used the tiny tractor because my bigger one was trapped in the garage (click the link below to watch the video). I need to know the correct linage for the rear hitch raise / lower mechanism.  Does anyone know what this looks like or has a reference for the factory version? Share some pictures and videos of your little tractors working! 

704 WheelHorse Working:
https://youtu.be/jZT_Izvub8o

IMG_20200503_134021.jpg

got ya beat with my 704 - pulled a 3600 lb Olds 442 

but it was on a hard surface - hard gravel driveway as opposed to grass 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Not mine Lynn.  Just a photo I found to demo.

I see you are confused on my comment on the Country Clipper mower.  The photo shows the normal way that the deck flips up for service under the deck of a Country Clipper

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I see you are confused on my comment on the Country Clipper mower.  The photo shows the normal way that the deck flips up for service under the deck of a Country Clipper

I wasn't confused by your comment Lynn.    I wondered if the Clipper was light enough to pick up by hand.    Your link shows the crank or drill operated lift kit.

Very interesting Zero and RED and made in the USA. :thumbs:

Pullstart

@Flat Thunder Channel :text-welcomeconfetti:

there is a cable that runs from the middle of the tractor under the toolbox and seat but above the transmission.  Lowell @wheelhorseman at Www.Wheelhorsepartsandmore.com sells a high quality replacement.

The round hoods rock!

• Like 1

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I wasn't confused by your comment Lynn.    I wondered if the Clipper was light enough to pick up by hand.    Your link shows the crank or drill operated lift kit.

Very interesting Zero and RED and made in the USA. :thumbs:

I have the Challenger model and it is rather heavy.  You can grab the handles on the front of the deck and pull front and up to make the deck articulate, but I added the crank jack mechanism to make it easy.  I see no need to use a drill, in the time it takes to mess with it the deck can be cranked up.   The smaller models would lift manually for anyone with average strength, while the the top model would need a jack.  The mechanical advantage of the deck rolling forward some distance is what makes the lifting rather easy, these tractors are as heavy as any other.  I chose this brand for a number of reasons; the standup deck, the joystick control, the pivoting front axle and the price being less that the popular brands that have none of these features.  If you want to see mine, feel free to stop by.

• Thanks 1