Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Razorback
10 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Patina 1958 from Oklahoma. -no Date code  on transmission so early

Did you happen to buy an RJ that was listed in the Tulsa area sometime last year? I remember it looked nice, and was listed for something like $350. It was shown with a mower deck.

• Like 1

Razorback

I was going to use the C-160  to till the garden spot in preparation for some planting later this week. Unfortunately, it decided to rain just enough to squash that idea. So, I spent the afternoon in the shed. I removed the mower deck from the C-160 and cleaned it up real good. I even took the wheels off of the trailing edge of the deck, cleaned up the wheels and the axles, grease them good and put them back on. The under side of the deck got cleaned good, too. Stood the deck in the corner, then changed to oil in the C-160. Spent the rest of the time doing some general cleaning on it. 

A very nice, relaxing afternoon!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Saaaaweeeeet Randy! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

WHX??

That truly is a thundering herd  of  roundhoods Lane :handgestures-thumbupright: you are abonafide collector/restorer... you don't have a banner I will get you one! Which  ones are for sale ?!?! :ychain:

• Haha 2

FAST

Well I had a few other projects knocked out so I thought I would knock out the mower deck bearings today. I had gotten some much needed help and parts from @pullstart to complete the job.  I started by straightening some bends in the deck and then straightened and welded the sheet metal as seen in the photo then I moved on to the bearing in the spindle mounts. As I pulled it apart I seen that the bottoms where the clip goes that holds the bearing in is broken off. So now I need two spindles lol. Now I’m feeling like I is should have just bought another deck. 😂

15089FFD-E350-414F-9B76-ED2930FDC43D.jpeg

B5D674F6-6F51-4AE2-B1E8-5888A45B9ADB.jpeg

F5903460-ED29-4161-98F0-4221585592A1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

balconio

I had Horsey II in the garage today. She got:

- wire brushed and high temp painted the muffler

- fresh motor oil change

- new sparkplug

- drained and filled the trans with fresh 80W/90 gear oil

- new brake lining

- fixed and lubed the choke cable

- 2 position gimballed drink holder

IMG_20200504_175541998.jpg.22b51da9d1cfbcd29db68df74dc400e6.jpg

IMG_20200504_175520679.jpg.cccac6e11182f26313f94ce344875191.jpg

- reconnected the seat switch and wired in a dash toggle switch to arm/disarm the seat switch. This is for extreme off roading where there is a chance I might fall off and not be able to catch a runaway tractor.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

balconio
On 5/2/2020 at 9:21 PM, D_Mac said:

@balconio We are neighbors ! Grew up in Webster, live in the city now.

That's awesome man, my kids go to Webster schools! We seem to have a pretty strong wheel horse market here, there have been a few Craigslist deals that I regret not looking at in time. A pair of 312s (one hydro one gear drive) was FS in Webster just a few weeks ago for $600 but I don't go anywhere nowadays because the COVID...

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, balconio said:

2 position gimballed drink holder

AWESOME

• Like 1

D_Mac
2 hours ago, balconio said:

That's awesome man, my kids go to Webster schools! We seem to have a pretty strong wheel horse market here, there have been a few Craigslist deals that I regret not looking at in time. A pair of 312s (one hydro one gear drive) was FS in Webster just a few weeks ago for $600 but I don't go anywhere nowadays because the COVID...

I went to look at those 2 tractors. They both needed some work. They hydro wouldnt start. I believed it needed a fuel pump but wasnt sure it had almost 500 hours on it. The other had transmission issue. The shift lever just flopped around like a wet noodle. He also had an extra deck for it but it was toast rusted through in many places and spindles shot. Plus they were way back in his shed that was 100 yards or so from the driveway and driving truck back to get them wasnt an option. I offered him 500 for the pair he refused. He said if he didnt get the 600 he would keep them. Rest of the Wheel Horses you see for sale around here over priced. I grew up in Webster. I went to Plank Rd, Klem Rd, Spry. R.L.Thomas schools. My mother still lives there.

Lane Ranger
On 5/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, Razorback said:

Did you happen to buy an RJ that was listed in the Tulsa area sometime last year? I remember it looked nice, and was listed for something like $350. It was shown with a mower deck.

No  I bought this RJ in Fairland, Oklahoma about five or six years ago Razorback!     I am third owner although the second owner did nothing to it.   This tractor and fove implments was bought new in  1958 from the Wheel Horse dealer in Miami, Oklahoma.   Razor and West, 502 East Central, Miami, Oklahoma.   Owned by one man for 56 years.

142.JPG

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Razorback
3 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

No  I bought this RJ in Fairland, Oklahoma about five or six years ago Razorback!     I am third owner although the second owner did nothing to it.   This tractor and fove implments was bought new in  1958 from the Wheel Horse dealer in Miami, Oklahoma.   Razor and West, 502 East Central, Miami, Oklahoma.   Owned by one man for 56 years.

142.JPG

I know exactly where Fairland is..... how many can say THAT!?!? And, you KNOW someone is familiar with that area if they pronounce “Miami” as  “Miamuh”. :lol:

We’ll be going through there over this coming weekend as we make the Mother’s Day visits in Bartlesville and Claremore.

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 2

balconio
11 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I went to look at those 2 tractors. They both needed some work. They hydro wouldnt start. I believed it needed a fuel pump but wasnt sure it had almost 500 hours on it. The other had transmission issue. The shift lever just flopped around like a wet noodle. He also had an extra deck for it but it was toast rusted through in many places and spindles shot. Plus they were way back in his shed that was 100 yards or so from the driveway and driving truck back to get them wasnt an option. I offered him 500 for the pair he refused. He said if he didnt get the 600 he would keep them. Rest of the Wheel Horses you see for sale around here over priced. I grew up in Webster. I went to Plank Rd, Klem Rd, Spry. R.L.Thomas schools. My mother still lives there.

Dude- now i feel better about it, knowing they were thrashed... still glad i didn't go cuz i might have given him $600. i paid $950 for a pair of 312-8's with a blower/deck/sprayer in November 2019 both with well over 1000 hrs, but the PO was super fastidious about maintenance (kept logs for both in a spiral notebook, every oil change/service since 1989 lol) and was a Corvette guy with a completely MINT 2002 Z06 on the lift. Basically the kind of guy you want to buy old tractors from.

D_Mac
1 hour ago, balconio said:

Dude- now i feel better about it, knowing they were thrashed... still glad i didn't go cuz i might have given him $600. i paid $950 for a pair of 312-8's with a blower/deck/sprayer in November 2019 both with well over 1000 hrs, but the PO was super fastidious about maintenance (kept logs for both in a spiral notebook, every oil change/service since 1989 lol) and was a Corvette guy with a completely MINT 2002 Z06 on the lift. Basically the kind of guy you want to buy old tractors from.

I wouldnt say they were bad. They were in pretty good shape, other then those issues. If I got them I was going to try and swap the fuel pumps out right there and if it worked used the Hydro to drag the other one up to the driveway. The guy really wasnt willing to give up much information on them or offer any help. The Hydro was the nicer of the two, even had the hubcaps, seat in great shape. Someone tried working on it as the air cleaner was pulled off and parts laying on ground when I went to see it. Wonder if he sold them or just decided to keep them. He lived on Lake Rd

tom2p

country currently shut down - with immediate future still in question 

20+ million recently lost their jobs - and more to join them

unemployment rate rising daily - could be 10 ... 15 % ... higher ?

and the owner would not take less than $600 

shaking my head 

Edited by tom2p

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, tom2p said:

country currently shut down - with immediate future still in question 

20+ million recently lost their jobs - and more to join them

unemployment rate rising daily - could be 10 ... 15 % ... higher ?

and the owner would not take less than $600 

shaking my head 

Ya wanna see "nuts"....

Check Maine CL. 

There's folks who think Horses are platinum coated.

There's a black hood for sale.

Needs battery, tune-up. 

Won't run right. Floods.

Seat and pan are SHREDDED.

$600 FIRM.

• Like 1

tom2p
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ya wanna see "nuts"....

Check Maine CL. 

There's folks who think Horses are platinum coated.

There's a black hood for sale.

Needs battery, tune-up. 

Won't run right. Floods.

Seat and pan are SHREDDED.

$600 FIRM.

ughhhhh 

maybe some feel cutting grass is one of the few things we can currently do - so they will capitalize on it ... lol

• Haha 1

Pullstart
On 5/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, balconio said:

My wife’s new 2015 Suburban came from Webster, NY so therefore we called it Webster!

45E7B9BE-8D2A-4C08-83A8-9F50AF6091CC.jpeg

• Like 1

cafoose

I put bushings on the brake shaft on my GT-14 that I got from McMaster/Carr 1/2 x 5/8 x 1/16 flange bushings. Fit like a glove and took away all the sloppy shaft movement!

bushing.jpg

bushing1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I got out to the local welding shop today and picked up some tube and angle stock to build a receiver hitch for mine today.

Going to have to figure out how to drill 11/16 holes when the biggest chuck I have is 1/2.

• Like 1

TonyToro

My son and I put an attach-o-matic on the Raider 14 pulling tractor so we can make an adjustable weight bar. It will slide out in the front. We got the metal all cut today. We will do all the welding tomorrow. 

52B89D2D-7B60-44D5-9CE0-7DC9A411FF6C.jpeg

• Like 4

Pullstart
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I got out to the local welding shop today and picked up some tube and angle stock to build a receiver hitch for mine today.

Going to have to figure out how to drill 11/16 holes when the biggest chuck I have is 1/2.

Are you in Michigan?  I have an assortment of bigger drills handy with 1/2” chucks here Bill.

8ntruck
48 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Are you in Michigan?  I have an assortment of bigger drills handy with 1/2” chucks here Bill.

Not yet.  We are planning on travelling that way in the next day or two.  I think I have a solution for my drill size issue tomorrow.  If not I know where to find you.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

cafoose
16 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Now what to do with a couple trailer loads of WH parts that normally find a home at the shows.

Watcha got? Bring them to my house it's not far :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4