:think: Almost need a stethoscope...

to locate where it's coming from.    

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
9 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:think: Almost need a stethoscope...

to locate where it's coming from.    

In a pinch a long socket extension or piece of tubing against the ear can help pinpoint a knock.

• Like 2

dells68
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

In a pinch a long socket extension or piece of tubing against the ear can help pinpoint a knock.

Been there done that.  I had an 04 Ram that seemed to like to challenge me to find noises - bad alternator, belt pulleys, etc...  That thing about drive me crazy chasing noises.

• Like 1

dells68

Well, I played with the 857 a little while tonight to unwind after running a chainsaw all day.

Pulled the the head on the 857.  There was a little leak at the front of the head gasket and on the exhaust side.  Found a head bolt between the valves hadn't even been tightened and the torque was everywhere on the others.   Exhaust valve had nice cream color, but there was lots of carbon buildup on the piston and head.  Cleaned a lot of it off and found the piston is standard bore.  There's a little front to back wiggle with the piston, but she didn't smoke, so I'm going to leave the bore alone for now - no scoring on the cylinder walls.  The ACR is working, as the exhaust pops up just slightly as the crank is rotated.  Someone decided to surface the head and I'll have to do the same thanks to their work, but I'll use a sheet of flat glass  and 220 grit paper - NOT 80 grit:ROTF:.  Still waiting on parts to put her back together with.

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, dells68 said:

IMG_6990.JPG

wow

• Like 1