Graydon

Hello From Southampton, UK

Graydon

Hello everyone from "Old Blighty" (England). 

This is a bit of a cry for "Help!".

I currently restoring, from the ground up a 1972/73?, "Raider 14, 8 Speed".

The main problem being, every time I need any spares, I can only find a reasonable supply of parts in the USA, therefore its costing me an absolute fortune in shipping charges.

I've so far not been able to locate a reliable supplier of parts here in the UK.

I'm now getting close to the point of giving up! Can anyone please help?

4.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

IMG_2221a.jpg

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

Edited by Graydon
I wanted to upload some pictures
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the:rs:Graydon..  

I can't help, but we have several members on your side of the pond that may be able to help.   They should be here soon. Good Luck.

The Raiders are great machines.....please don't give up.

• Like 3

Anglo Traction

Hello Graydon, :flags-wavegreatbritain::text-welcomewave:. You are not alone being in the UK and having experienced problems sourcing parts.

You are slightly more disadvantaged with time and the exchange rate.

I and many UK residents on here have imported spares from the US over the years due to shortages, but at better, cheaper rates. 

To help solve your parts needs, give us an idea of your Tractor Model number and what you need and I'm sure we'll try and find them.

My 2 Tractors are of similar age. I presume you have a Parts Manual etc for yours?.

Any pics would be appreciated.

Regards.

• Like 3

C-101plowerpower

i'm sure Chris @chris sutton 'some' parts laying around somewhere

also welcome to redsquare from farther east across the water

• Like 1

Skipper

Hi Graydon

Welcome to Red Square. :-)

I'm in Denmark, and I have a smaller supply of various parts, tractors and implements, and I can easily send to the UK without customs making it troublesome. 

Give me a shout if you need help.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

chris sutton

Welcome to RS Graydon, as said, let us have a list of what your looking for and we might be able to help. I'm up near Brighton so not that far away

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

Hello Graydon, I'm also from Southampton. But I'm from Southampton,L.I, N.Y. My town was named after yours after English settlers arrived here from Lynn, Massachusetts in 1640. Southampton is the oldest English settlement in the state of New York. I know this doesn't help your Wheel Horse issues, but I figured I could share some of our towns namesake history. Good luck in your quest for parts, don't give up. Happy holidays! 

• Like 3

Graydon

A Big thank you to everyone for your offers of help and support, its very much appreciated.

I've posted some photos of my raider 14, starting from when I purchased on October 8th 2017 up to the present day. She did initially look in reasonable condition, however, hadn't been used in over twelve years.

Although she looked reasonable, time, negligence, combined with the damp welsh climate had taken its toll, so absolutely nothing functioned. The only bonus was the engine did turn over freely by hand and had compression. The "toe out" on the front wheels was so excessive, it was near impossible to push her up into my van.

Hopefully now fitted with new adjustable tie rods and new front wheel bearings, there should be a vast improvement.

I'm not going to bore everyone with a complete list of all the repairs so far to date, however, I did manage to save a considerable amount of money by dismantling the starter solenoid and repairing the inner workings.

This past week or so, I've been completely stripping the cutting deck and have welded all the cracks, splits and unwanted holes in the cowling. I've also needed to order all new cutter bearings and spindles, plus a new drive belt.

Unfortunately yesterday the carburettor had decided to start flooding, the big worry being fuel pouring on to a hot exhaust! Then to top that the starter motor packed up! Luckily, only new brushes needed. Can I buy any in the UK? not a chance, I did however, managed to find some in the US on EBay, although, the shipping was more than the cost of the brushes. Unfortunately, I managed to ruin the nice new paint on the starter motor, very annoying.

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2276.MOV

Anglo Traction

Found the Edited pics :thumbs:.  Some very good work your doing there. Will be a real nice example.

1-0380 Model number is listed as a 1974 C-160 !, but then. it was assembled in Belgium !. Notorious for nonconformity of the Model Ranges.

Still, 14hp is as good. You are covering much of the same work like Solenoid/Deck etc that I had to do on mine. Would be good to see you posting your progress in a separate Thread ?.

Regards

Edit:-  PS - nice work on saving the original Muffler.      

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

Graydon

Hi,

These are my first posts on here, so I'm fumbling around in the dark a little. I'm not too sure how to start a new thread, or where it should be done.

Thank you for the complements. I could have taken it to be shot blasted and powder coated, however, in my mind it wouldn't then be my own work.

I would like to keep my Raider near to original as possible (except for the cigar lighter socket), fortunately I managed to unfold the top seam on the muffler. I was then able to install a new perforated stainless steel baffle pipe together with new wadding.

Edited by Graydon
I wanted to upload a pdf document, however, it didnt work

Stormin

Welcome to RS Graydon. I'm up t'other end of the country. Cumbria, just before the Scottish border. Start a thread in Restorations etc. That way more will see it and you'll get more advice etc.

Regards. Norm. 

• Like 1