Sign in to follow this  
Kyforeman

520 H Speed Question?

Kyforeman

I have just brought home a Wheel Horse 520H. While I find this tractor to be most amazing in about every category as it is just neat as it can be, it really seems SLOW.... In the past I had a C-160 and it would run circles around the 520H. I am a little partial to my Deere's As well(Please Forgive me) and they are much faster as well and all Hydro's too.

I have checked the Transmission oil and it appears clean and changed recently. The tractor is great other than it just seems slower. I have ran it and let it get up to operating temps,if that can be done at 20 degrees. it does not seem to slip at all, just slower than I expected from such a brute.

I am really impressed with the layout of the tractor and all of those gauges and lights. Everything seems to work just fine. It has a rear discharge deck which is the only thing I don't care for as I think its only 42 inch wide, but I will say it is the smoothest running deck I have ever seen in my life. You could put a ball bearing on the deck and I think it would set in place with the deck engaged it is just that smooth.

I would prefer a 48 or even a 60 as it does have the inverted style front axle. I will add a picture or two once I have figured out how to do so. Thanks in advance for any ideals on why its so slow or if its just a trait for this model.

One last question. Does the entire deck raise up or just the front side? It seems that when I raise it by the hydraulics that only the front comes up. Is there something maybe that might be installed wrong on the lifting mechanism that could cause this?

Again Sorry for the long post, just happy about the 520 and curious at the same time, Think I'll go start the big girl up and listen to that big Onan purr for awhile.

:horseplay:

Pictures to follow.

Thanks,

Greg In Ky

1996 Wheel Horse 520H

1967 John Deere 112 RF HH100

1971 John Deere 140 K341 With 18hp Cam

1973 John Deere 140 K321

1978 John Deere 316 K341AQS

nylyon

For the speed. Over the summer I had the chance to race my 416-H with a 314-8 to see which was faster. I had thought that my 416 was slow, but it is actually faster than an 8-speed. see results.

Later in the post, no video though, we raced the C-160 with the 416-H. The C-160 is faster than the 416-H.

So it's all realitive for speed.

As for the deck, be sure that it is mounted properly, that the fork on bar which locks into the tach-a-matic is secure on the rod. If it still doesn't lift properly, you will need to adjust the deck height by removing the dash and tightening the adjustment

Bow_Extreme

Well, I'm not sure why your tractor would be slow. What kind of speed are you expecting? It's not the fastest mower to start with but it does travel down the road at a good clip for a lawn tractor. I've owned deere's and occasionally mow my lawn with a comparable size deere tractor and yes, it can run circles around my 520H. Make sure your hydro is running the right fluids. I believe that to be 10W-30. I recommend Shell Rotella. There are hydro adjustments under your seat. Flip the seat up and you can get to these. Usually these just adjust the tension of the hydro lever so the tractor doesn't float. I don't know that it will help you with the speed though. Yes, the whole deck should come up when up position is actuated. There are adjustments on your deck and the lifting arm chain. If you look between your deck and the tractor, there is a lifting arm. This lifting arm is carried by a chain which is adjustable in length and position. The smaller deck shouldn't be an issue. Download the manuals and part diagrams off Toro's web site if you don't have them already. These are very helpful in all your adventures with these tractors. Other than that enjoy the tractor. The 520H is a brute!!

Nick

If I remember right the 520-H was rated around 5.5 mph. That might help compare to specifications on other tractors. :thumbs:

I shot this video of my brother mowing of 10 or 12" tall weeds and grass on an farm lot. It might give you an idea of travel speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVWyHR9rE3E

sodbuster

dont feel bad I cant figure out the pics either!! I have jpeg files and they wont load.tried to down size them,still nothing!

Rollerman

Greg couple thing to check...

Ahead of the fender pan is a plate between it & the dash tower.

Pull the 4 screws holding it in place & you'll see more of the direction control linkage that runs back to your Eaton 1100 hydro.

Anyways under that plate is a joint in the linkage that sometimes gets a little play in it preventing full travel at the cam that controls the Eaton type hydro.

Best thing I can say is to check out all the linkages & make sure you have no excessive play or slop in them.

A little shot of white lithium on the linkage rod ends won't hurt either.

Top speed on my 520's was near a blistering 7MPH...7.005 with a tail wind. :thumbs:

Good luck & let us know what you find

Sodbuster check out this thread....useing an off line host for pics seems like a pain at first, but really works well & speeds up the load times for everyone useing the site

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5855.

Operator

:thumbs: Greg, I have two 520H's and a C-160 and I think the 160 will outrun the 520' by a small margin. Check the linkage adj. like Rollerman said. With the motor off lift seat and watch linkage make sure it moves completely back and forth and yup lube up that plate area. Picture posting I wish I could figure it out too, but then I haven't tried to hard. Stick around here you will learn alot from these guys.

Randy

Kyforeman

I took the plate off in front of the seat and it appears that all the linkage in that area are tight. Thats not to say that they are correct though.

In looking t the lever going down through tower next to the steering column it would appear that you have to push down and then pull back to go to reverse from neutral. Is this correct? If i have confused everyone with that question I will try and get a picture.

Under the seat it appears that the linkage does not complete it intended path so hopefully that is were the problem will be.

Thanks for all of the reply's

Still cant get the picture thing to work. Grrrrr.....

Greg

KyBlue

Hey Greg what part of Ky are you in???

linen beige

Hey Greg what part of Ky are you in???

Yeh, What he said!... And :thumbs:

Kyforeman

Yeh, What he said!... And :thumbs:

We are in Lancaster.

Operator

Greg the push lever down thing is neutral detent, but maybe there is too much detent one of mine moves easily from forward to reverse hardly feel the detent the other one moves a little stiffer but not much detent. maybe a bad bushing on shaft in bottom, levershould move freely hardly feeling the detent.

Randy

linen beige

We are in Lancaster.

Well! Looks like another member who could get to a Lexington area gathering! Now if the weather would just warm up.

Kyforeman

A Wheel Horse Day in Lexington would be alright.

I have got the 520 moving a little faster but not much. I plan to order that cam plate under the seat and the bushing that rides in it as it has the most amount of play there.

It seems about half as fast as the C160 I use to have and about 1/4 of my John Deere 140's.

I still like it though as that big Onan just sets there and purrs and awaits spring time to get to work.

Where do you guys order your parts from as I need a few items?

I need the Decal or cover that goes over all of them light on the dash as it blew off on the trip home I suppose and I dont know what all the lights are for now. They all work so it would be good to see what is what.

G.

TT

Have you checked the drive belt and tensioner yet?

When the tensioner spring broke on my 416H, the tractor still moved but it was quite a bit slower than normal due to belt slippage.

Kyforeman

Have you checked the drive belt and tensioner yet?

When the tensioner spring broke on my 416H, the tractor still moved but it was quite a bit slower than normal due to belt slippage.

TT,

I went ahead and pulled the belt cover as well just to check on the condition of the belt and all looks good there. It seems to have good tension and no slippage there. I am hoping it it in the plate above the transmission that you can see when raising the seat up.

I think I might have the pictures working now, if so you can see were there is still room for movement and the control lever is pushed all the way forward.

WH1CP.jpg

Ebay15023.jpg

Ebay15022.jpg

:thumbs: I got a picture to work :horseplay:

Nick

Nice looking tractor. :thumbs: I hadnt noticed it was a later production model.

One more question, does the tractor stay fairly still when the hydro is at neutral?

Kyforeman

Nice looking tractor. :thumbs: I hadnt noticed it was a later production model.

One more question, does the tractor stay fairly still when the hydro is at neutral?

Yes it seems to sit still in neutral. When you first move the lever forward in moves about 2 inches before she starts to move. It is a '96 according to the seriel number. It needs a few things , but overall I am well satisfied with it, other than the warning indicator light decal or plate falling off on the trip home, I should have noticed it was loose. All the little lights work at start up but i dont know what each is until i get a new cover.

Greg

Rollerman

Greg if your cam plate has that much travel left in it with your direction control lever all the way forward, I,d suspect you have some play in the linkage somewhere?

Nice looking 520 too. :thumbs:

nylyon

I agree, check the linkage and the roll pins to see if anything has backed out. My 416 had a roll pin back out and it did exactly as you are seeing.

nylyon

This is how it should look.

GEDC0303.jpg

kj4kicks

other than the warning indicator light decal or plate falling off on the trip home

Hi Greg, Nice machine. If you go to the dealer for the new dash plate, it is actually listed in the "decal" section of the ipl. If I remember right, it's about $20.

Kyforeman

Hi Greg, Nice machine. If you go to the dealer for the new dash plate, it is actually listed in the "decal" section of the ipl. If I remember right, it's about $20.

Thanks for all the help and compliments on my new toy here. I will get her in the shop tomorrow and did a little deeper into the play issues as I have now noticed that looking down behind the dash there looks to be some excessive movement come from that area.

Where do you guys order your parts from? I have looked up the parts from the Toro site but would like to know if there are any better places that carry the parts.

Right now all I really need is that dash decal that blew off (part# 78-8350).

I also need a set of headlight bezels as it looks as mine are missing. There are a set on ebay but the are listed for a different tractor and the guy said they would they would fit but I really don't know. Could someone take a look and let me know what they think. The item number is 370163106634. I hope its not against the rules to list running auctions, I just need to know if they might work as the price seems good.

Also a new seat is in order but that can wait and don't have to be Toro, but I do want a high back version.

One last question ? My front tires are mismatched, one is a 16-7.70-8 and is wider that the other which is a 16-6.50-8. Which one would have been from the factory or did Toro have optional sizes? I plan to put AG's on the rear but want to know what the correct size is for the front.

This tractor steers so easy fr the amount of weight it has on it. Its not power steering but darn close. I also like the offset front axle. Ok enough rambling.

Again thanks in advance for all the help.

Greg In Ky.

stevebo

Greg,

I believe all the bezels are the same. As for the seat, call your local Lowes as they have a seat made by Arnold co. that is high back with two drain holes. It is the best seat I have been on for the best price. Yo may have to wait a month or two for them to stock them again. Good luck-

Duff

Where do you guys order your parts from? I have looked up the parts from the Toro site but would like to know if there are any better places that carry the parts.

Right now all I really need is that dash decal that blew off (part# 78-8350).

I also need a set of headlight bezels as it looks as mine are missing. There are a set on ebay but the are listed for a different tractor and the guy said they would they would fit but I really don't know. Could someone take a look and let me know what they think. The item number is 370163106634. I hope its not against the rules to list running auctions, I just need to know if they might work as the price seems good.

Greg,

I've had terrific luck both in terms of pricing and delivery from Jack's Small Engines.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm

Other guys use other parts houses with good success; this is just the one I've had the best luck with.

Nice looking machine you've got there! :thumbs:

Duff :whistle: